Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Decieved

Drives: yaris verso
Yaris verso engine swap

New owner to a yaris verso 00/01 1.3

Its my first toyota so i dont know much about them but have been fiddling with cars all to long.

Round these parts they never sold the verso with the 1.5L engine, does anyone know what the difference between the two models if i wanna swap the engine out? Is the tranny the same? Driveshafts? Hubs?

Looking to do as little as possible as this is a daily driver so no cutting up firewalls and welding and the sorts :)

Oh yeah since we dont have the 1.5L yaris verso the engine will have to come from the std yaris if that makes any difference, and i have a working ac aswell(sadly im to cheap to run it :) )

The 1.3 engine runs decent i guess could need a little more power, the clutch action is very short but it doesnt slip? and the engine(i assume) makes a wierd noise i never have heard in a car before when loading the engine.
I will probably end up fixing these things but i had the thought of just getting a spare engine and looking it over while driving the car and then just swapping it out when its finished.

If there are other engine options im open for suggestions as long as its not downsizing :)
Decieved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
It uses the 2NFZE engine right? I'm also planning on swapping out my 1.3 for the 1.5 1NFZE engine! As far as I know from reading on this site, the only difference is the stroke in the engine! Physically it is the same size and identical and the transmission and ecu's are the same on the 1.3 and 1.5 engines!

So it SHOULD just be a straight swap! Better hear from the rest, my knowledge isn't so vast yet.. :)
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
Decieved

Drives: yaris verso
Now that would be wonderful since i have read that switching ecu could give me key/immobilizer problems.

Sound a little to good to be true tho a quick glance at the scrapyard says that theres alot of ecu boxes with different numbers although that could just be smaller changes i guess to software.

Gonna double check the engine but yeah im pretty sure it uses the 2NZ-FE engine.
Decieved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Toyota parts catalog shows different part numbers for the ECU for the NCP21 (1.5L) and NCP20 (1.3L) Yaris Verso.