Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
07GPWS2K

Drives: '07 S2000, '04 Corvette
Smile Next Generation Yaris Speculation

I know it's early, but I just wanted to start a thread to discuss rumors/wants for the next generation of Toyota's awesome micro car!

I read in MotorTrend a while back that the next Yaris(a 2012 model) will possibly be based on the iQ platform. Any one else heard this? I think the iQ is supposed to land State side early next year (around March) as a Scion.
07GPWS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
i hope its not based on the iQ platform. I drove the iQ RHD last month at MegaWeb...its a very nimble car, but i dont want to be driving something THAT small on the freeway......

Btw, this thread should be moved to Off-Topic or general dicussions.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
actually i've heard that Toyota wants to turn the Yaris into hybrid (much like the prius). I sure hope they'll do it.. my yaris makes 20 km per liter, and for such a small engine it's good.. but if they'll make a hybrid model i think the mileage can be doubled.. the prius makes 25 km/L with 1.8 engine.. so imagine what the yaris will do..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I would suspect Toyota to make the following changes / improvements to more strongly compete with the Fiesta, Fit, and upcoming redesigns of the Versa and Accent:

- 6-speed automatic/6-speed manual transmissions. This is the easiest way to get the Yaris's highway MPG from a 35 rating to over 40.

- interior materials improvements and gauges behind the wheel. These seem to be the critics biggest gripe with the Yaris. I can't believe Toyota would continue to sacrifice sales to those who can't get past center gauges to save a few bucks. People will expect the new interior to be at least as good as the Fiesta and Fit. Oh, and don't forget a telescoping wheel!

- I would guess a small HP increase is also in the works. Maybe 115 HP?

- thicker paint hopefully.

- I'd also like to see 1-2 inches added to the width to make it a bit more proportional with the benefit of added stability and more substantial door armrests.

- less happy-eyed headlamps

These things I think should be the priority. If they come along, the next Yaris will be the sub-compact to beat.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Toyota may bring new Yaris production to North America

http://www.themoneytimes.com/feature...-10124158.html
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
08blackyari
slowpoke

Drives: 08 blk LB manu. pwr opt & cld
standard cruise control would be nice. As well as more insulation to dampen all the road noise heard.
08blackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
As long as they step up the quality of the interior finish, I'll be happy. I'm not a believer in a car being cushy enough to be a second living room, but the Fiesta and Cruze really make the Yaris look cheap.

Better exterior paint is a close second.

I'm cool with the centre gauge cluster though. Driving "normal" vehicles seems weird now, with the steering wheel blocking the instrument panel.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Merge with existing yaris spy pics thread?
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As long as they step up the quality of the interior finish, I'll be happy. I'm not a believer in a car being cushy enough to be a second living room, but the Fiesta and Cruze really make the Yaris look cheap.
The Chevy Cruze is the next class up competing with Corolla and Focus. And yeah, the new Cruze makes the Corolla look cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Merge with existing yaris spy pics thread?
I think this is meant to be a different topic outlining what people either speculate what improvements are coming or lay out their desires for the new Yaris.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote