Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Toyota C160 Reverse Gear Problem

I have a problem with my C160 regarding the Reverse gear.

Since 6 months ago, (which was the last day I drove the car) it was working. At that time I had a problem of the gears 2 / 4 / 6 not entering from the shifter. The problem was the shift cable overheated.

Since I had new cables and a Quick Shift of the AE111, I decided to fit them into my yaris. The cables were about the same length no problem but the shifter needed to be cut and plastic welded to match the gear positions. I got all 6 gears working fine but oopss the reverse is not entering at all!

I disconnected the cables and tried directly from the transmission but I can't seem to make it gear. I am trying to gear it by pulling to the end the shift arm and gear it to the left. The strange thing is that if I pull as much as it lets me, it gears 1st instead of reverse (which has to be the higher upper gear).

Any suggestion what I can check before removing the transmission itself? Which I preferably not want to !
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Sounds like not just replacing it with an OEM replacement was a real BAD idea....
Welding plastic sounds like a crap shoot for accuracy in final lenght.
Have you tried replacing the overheated cable with the correct part instead?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
I fitted the Corrolla Quickshift and cables only for the reason that they were bought previously by mistake. When I checked with Toyota to replace just that cable was about $200 which was too far for me when I have 2 new cables and a quickshift available for free.

If I can't find a solution for this I have to reverse all what I made and see if with the stock shifter the R works again.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote