Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
ggrieco

Drives: 2008 yaris aero
FOG LIGHTS

Does any one know how to re-wire the OEM fog light switch so that I can turn on my fog lights with-out having to turn on the head lights. If I could turn on just the parking lights and be able to turn on the fogs, that would be cool too.
I also noticed on a post that you can dis able the DRL by removing the relay under the steering column, maybe that`s a start.
BTW my car is a canadian model.
Thanks,
ggrieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Did this come from factory? I wasnt aware that stock fogs are only operable with headlights. That doesn't sound right. You can always just draw one wire to power and the switch wire into the cabin and control them that way no need to rely on anything but a power source. May need some longer wires to move into the cabin for the switch.

Also this is the wrong thread section.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
OEM fog lights only come on if you have your headlights on and automatically turn off with your high beams...

There was a thread about this a month or so ago and CTScott answered that it's doable. I wasn't able to find it on here using the search though... Hopefully he can point you in the right direction or give you an answer...

(Mods: can you put this thread in the right place, please?)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The picture below shows the headlight switch connector. To allow you OEM fogs to turn on any time, clip the orange wire in pin 4, cap off the harness side of the cut wire and tap the connector side of the cut wire to the white wire with the black stripe in pin 7 (6 to the right of the marked pin 13).

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
ijose 845

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris
dont they come pre wired with the yaris? Aint it just plug and play?

Angry Bird Crew #1

ijose 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijose 845 View Post
dont they come pre wired with the yaris? Aint it just plug and play?
The question was how to re-wire the OEM ones.

To answer his other questions sent in PM:

The connector pictured is located under the steering column cover at the base of the headlight stalk. Search for my "headlights off with the key" DIY for a pictorial guide to getting the cover off.

The second question was explaining the wiring more. You are simply going to cut the wire, far enough away from the connector to give you a 2 inch or so piece of wire attached to the connector to work with. That side of the cut you will attach to the wire in position 7. A "tap splice" connector, available at any auto parts store, is the easiest way to do so.

The other side of the wire you just need to cover with tape or a butt splice
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
ggrieco

Drives: 2008 yaris aero
Got it, will let you know how things turn out.
Thanks,Gary
ggrieco is offline   Reply With Quote