Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Inlet air temp vs. vehicle speed

I had to make room in the engine compartment for my new Greddy oil catch can but the aFe airbox was taking up a lot of room. So, today I removed the air box and left the intake tube and the filter. I still have to find a way to limit the movement of the filter.

I was was curious as to whether I lost the cold air intake effect from the removal of the aFe airbox. The next two links are video captures of inlet air temp vs. vehicle speed. First video is at surface street speeds and the second video is at freeway speeds. You can see that inlet air temp does in fact drop once outside air comes through the grill and into the filter.

Outside air temp was 67 degrees F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LWR4fo5z3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4lC4OU05Q

Last edited by LtNoogie; 04-27-2009 at 12:03 AM.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Only correlation i see is that when you are stopped you have heat soak, which is expected since the car is not moving and no air flow is present.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Said above, when your stopped your intake temp is going to increase alot, when I had my scangauge my moving temp would be 1-2 degrees lower than ambient temp outside. This applies to whether I was going 45 or 80mph, didnt change the temp. When I stopped my temps would jump 30 degrees or more, depending how hot the engine was and how long I was there.

These are all with a AEM Cold Air Intake and was being read from a Scangauge 2 unit

AFe Units have the shielding more as a deflector of heat, rather than them being used as a shield against rain or such. So one can only assume that you will lose some of the colder air that you would "pocket" in that little space with the shield. Compared to that of the free flowing air flowing around the engine.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
LtNoogie

Right. What I am saying is that I can live without that box that framed the aFe filter. I was seeing the same heat soaking when the box was installed. The box seems to have very little effect except to take up a lot of space. I was seeing this with the ScanGauge before I replaced it.

I would be interested in knowing what the temperature climb is from people with real CAIs who have ScanGauges.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
LtNoogie

So Sabretooth, you were seeing intake temps below ambient when you were moving?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
looking at yours verse's my Scangauge your air temp climb's and reduce's
faster, your baseline reading of outside temp is only 16f below air intake temp , that's pretty good .
for around town , iseee your highway temp is within 11f, thats slightly better than what i am seeing ,
but also understandable as my air flow is a little restricted due too my set up .

Last edited by 1NZYaris1; 04-27-2009 at 12:26 AM.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
LtNoogie

Did you notice the bonnet seal?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
LtNoogie

Sorry, had the same video listed twice.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #9