Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #37
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Heres my math:

Yaris $15,000
Prius $25,000

Driving a Yaris 100,000k miles @35 mpg burning gas @ $2.50 a gallon costs $7142
Driving a Prius 100k miles @45 mpg gas @ $2.50 costs $5555

Thats saves >$2000. So you STILL have $8000 in outlay to recover. That wont happen till 400,000 MORE miles. (@$2.50 a gallon)

Am I wrong?

One thing people need to get straight is not comparing the Prius and Yaris as if they are just different apples.

You can not argue an economic comparison pertaining to fuel cost benefits between the two. Makes no sense because the Prius is in an entirely different class.

Take a look at the Prius' interior below. Does it look like the simple plastic interior of the Yaris? Um, no. It is closer to a luxury car. That costs money.

Plus, the Prius has a much more premium driving feel.

It's like asking why someone would pay extra for an MB S-Class when you can just get an E-Class which will still get you to your destination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-toyota-prius-interior.jpg (29.4 KB, 78 views)
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #38
Homeboy

Drives: Toyota Yaris XP9
Being # 1 as car manufacturor is nice, but I still think it's more important that you obtain a high customer satisfaction, because in the end, satisfied customers will by another Toyota.

Last year, FY2008, when the financial figures were pretty good for Toyota, we were aiming for that # 1 position on the market and we were striving to beat GM and keep that position.

But this year, when everyone is suffering from the economic crisis, Toyota is no longer interested in that number 1 position of car manufacturing. Our core business is producing cars, the mission is to be # 1 in customer satisfaction. Production has been schaled down in Toyota plants all over the world, in order to save costs. (e.g. Yaris production in Valencienne was at certain level only 50% compaired to FY2008).

Each car, each brand has its pro's and contra's. It's all about each individual's perception. And everyone has experienced some bad issues with his/her car(s), but in the end you're happy driving in it.

Yaris XP9 'by Sparco'
Homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #39
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
One thing people need to get straight is not comparing the Prius and Yaris as if they are just different apples.

You can not argue an economic comparison pertaining to fuel cost benefits between the two. Makes no sense because the Prius is in an entirely different class.
Yeah when Prius owners realize theyve taken a financial bath to save a minute ammount of fuel over the cars lifetime (if they EVER realize it) thats the argument they fall back on. The car is predicated on the fact that youre saving gas and so saving money. But you ARENT saving money! Youre spending MORE money. Ive even heard the ludicris argument the Prius is a "midsize" car The Prius has the same gas engine as an ECHO/Yaris with some modifications so its the same car. It has the same interior room as an ECHO/Yaris. And the first ones had very limited trunk space because of the batteries, compared to a Yaris. But theres the fancy schmancy lie-o-meter dashboard with pretty buttons and knobs to make you think youre driving a space ship or something. My suggestion is to put a feather on a stick which tickles the drivers arse at regular intervals.
Ok Im sorry I got carried away there.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #40
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy View Post
Being # 1 as car manufacturor is nice, but I still think it's more important that you obtain a high customer satisfaction, because in the end, satisfied customers will by another Toyota.

Last year, FY2008, when the financial figures were pretty good for Toyota, we were aiming for that # 1 position on the market and we were striving to beat GM and keep that position.

But this year, when everyone is suffering from the economic crisis, Toyota is no longer interested in that number 1 position of car manufacturing. Our core business is producing cars, the mission is to be # 1 in customer satisfaction. Production has been schaled down in Toyota plants all over the world, in order to save costs. (e.g. Yaris production in Valencienne was at certain level only 50% compaired to FY2008).

Each car, each brand has its pro's and contra's. It's all about each individual's perception. And everyone has experienced some bad issues with his/her car(s), but in the end you're happy driving in it.
Regarding "we" and "our" - do you work for Toyota or just feel really close to them?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #41
BuildCode

Quote:
Heres my math:

Yaris $15,000
Prius $25,000

Driving a Yaris 100,000k miles @35 mpg burning gas @ $2.50 a gallon costs $7142
Driving a Prius 100k miles @45 mpg gas @ $2.50 costs $5555

Thats saves >$2000. So you STILL have $8000 in outlay to recover. That wont happen till 400,000 MORE miles. (@$2.50 a gallon)

Am I wrong?

Love it. Agreed, the Prius and the Yaris shouldn't be compared though, as others also pointed out - unless you're talking to the idiot who "bought a Prius to save money on gas" for that idea alone
Old 11-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #42
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
You can always compare cost of ownership. Always, with any two cars.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #43
BuildCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
You can always compare cost of ownership. Always, with any two cars.
You can, but what does it mean to compare cost of ownership of a Veyron with a Yaris? The categories of those two cars, and even more importantly, the person who is buying each of those two cars is so different that it doesn't mean anything to compare them other than just for fun.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #44
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Yeah when Prius owners realize theyve taken a financial bath to save a minute ammount of fuel over the cars lifetime (if they EVER realize it) thats the argument they fall back on. The car is predicated on the fact that youre saving gas and so saving money. But you ARENT saving money! Youre spending MORE money. Ive even heard the ludicris argument the Prius is a "midsize" car The Prius has the same gas engine as an ECHO/Yaris with some modifications so its the same car. It has the same interior room as an ECHO/Yaris. And the first ones had very limited trunk space because of the batteries, compared to a Yaris. But theres the fancy schmancy lie-o-meter dashboard with pretty buttons and knobs to make you think youre driving a space ship or something. My suggestion is to put a feather on a stick which tickles the drivers arse at regular intervals.
Ok Im sorry I got carried away there.
No it's all good. Hybrids are the auto manufacturers way of saying "you're stupid give us your money." And right on cue... the stupid people did and bragged about it!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #45
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Plus, the Prius has a much more premium driving feel.

have you ever been in a prius?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #46
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCode View Post
...unless you're talking to the idiot who "bought a Prius to save money on gas" for that idea alone

Or the idiot's cousin who spent $4000 on a scooter to do the same. Not only are you out $4000, but that's a helluva hit to the image to overcome...
Old 11-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #47
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post

These guys drove one...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...a_prius_page_3
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #48
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post

Wow and the Metro tied the Prius with 42 mpg! Whats a 1998 Metro in really good shape go for...$2000? And the Prius is like $25K! And it gets the SAME mileage.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #49
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post

Of course but clearly you haven't if you think that the Yaris drives with similar refinement. And the new 3rd generation is another huge step and has gotten great reviews for it's driving feel considering what it is.

The Prius has a lot more in common with the Camry than it does a Yaris.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #50
Kal-El

Quote:
Wow and the Metro tied the Prius with 42 mpg! Whats a 1998 Metro in really good shape go for...$2000? And the Prius is like $25K! And it gets the SAME mileage.
They must of beat the crap out of that Prius to get only 42 MPG.

Plus, making this comparison to a 3-cylinder Metro with no power, half the size, and no feature content at all is also ridiculous especially in an effort to diminish the Prius' qualities.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #51
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Not only are you out $4000, but that's a helluva hit to the image to overcome...
Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #52
supmet
Banned

Quote:
And the new 3rd generation is another huge step and has gotten great reviews for it's driving feel considering what it is.
I've noticed most of your comments are based on the newest model years reviews, and never on real world experience. I think that's where most of your confusion comes from.

And please tell me how the prius is so much better? Every review I've read has pretty much said its crap, and my Dad's prius is annoying as hell to ride in. You can feel every time it goes from electric to gas, and while it may be quieter, constant noises are always less annoying then noises that start and stop, start and stop. They can't handle for anything, so I really don't know what you think is so great and special about the prius.

Its a cool gadget, you can't argue it being a good value in any way shape or form
Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #53
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Not number one in quality....VW makes one of the worse cars in regard to dependability, reliability too. They sell a lot more in Europe then in the USA because American's are more picky about good cars. Even the Korean brands are better cars then the VW's.
That is some of the most inaccurate comments ever posted on this forum! First, Volkswagens are tied with Toyota in terms of reliability...both got an 86; and Volkswagen's increase of 5 points, or 6.2 percent, marked the biggest jump from the year before (source).

Secondly, I wonder if you have even set foot in Europe as the comment that American's are "more picky about good cars" is the biggest bullshit statement I have ever heard in my life! Dude, I was born and lived numerous times in Germany, as well as Belgium and the UK. Cars are taken much more seriously in Europe than the US, as not only are they more expensive to buy but also maintain. I go back to Europe several times a year, and never see as much pieces of junk on the road as I do in the States (and I also travel throughout the country, so this isn't specific to any particular region).

Lastly, I had two VW Passats (B4) that I put over a quarter of a million miles on without any considerable problems! Sure, they aren't as maintenance-free as some Japanese brands; but I would never buy an American car over one, nor are they unreliable or overly expensive to maintain.

Next time do a little research...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #54
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
First, Volkswagens are tied with Toyota in terms of reliability.. Sure, they aren't as maintenance-free as some Japanese brands;
Oh you tricky wordsmith you....

VWs are POSs

deal with it