Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
vintagera
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris YRX 2006
lowering springs + bigger&wider rims

hi guys, i'm a newbie to the forum so wanted to ask some of the experienced guys here.

I recently bought 2006 Yaris 3dr hatch and I'm looking for lowering options on the market.

I'm not looking for a drastic drop, in particular TRD springs caught my eye with 0.5 in front and 1.5 in back drop.

Currently I have stock alloy rims 15x5.5 with 185/60 tyre, don't know the offset. i'm looking to get bigger rim 16x6.5 to put either 195/50 or 205/50 tyres on it to keep the circumference of the wheel close to stock.

any feedback on these springs would be appreciated: how the quality of the ride changed and is there any rubbing with bigger rims?

and does anyone know where it is possible to get these springs in Australia?
Thanks!
vintagera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
save your money and go with the Micro Image lowering springs, $99 off ebay and they a similar to TRD's. They drop about 1.75" front and rear from my understanding. I've hade them for a few months now and have absolutely no issues.

I plan on running 15x7 rims with a +38 offset next spring which should fit fine. FWIW I have never heard any issues with the TRD springs
Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The micro Image springs are very stiff front, and not enough rear. Just watch out with this setup, because you will under street all the time, and is almost not drivable in the winter. Not sure how much snow you get in AU if any at all

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagera View Post
hi guys, i'm a newbie to the forum so wanted to ask some of the experienced guys here.

I recently bought 2006 Yaris 3dr hatch and I'm looking for lowering options on the market.

I'm not looking for a drastic drop, in particular TRD springs caught my eye with 0.5 in front and 1.5 in back drop.

Currently I have stock alloy rims 15x5.5 with 185/60 tyre, don't know the offset. i'm looking to get bigger rim 16x6.5 to put either 195/50 or 205/50 tyres on it to keep the circumference of the wheel close to stock.

any feedback on these springs would be appreciated: how the quality of the ride changed and is there any rubbing with bigger rims?

and does anyone know where it is possible to get these springs in Australia?
Thanks!
good setup as a DD , you will be fine with the new wheel combo ..stock offset is 45 so anything from 35 to 45 will work with no issues .
I run on teins,( KYB struts) so about 2 inch drop and 42 offset but on 15s ,195 55s
I would suggest rear sway bar by TRD cos that will/does make a hug improvement in how the car drives also new struts and rear shocks is wise .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'm also on Tein springs, about a 2" drop, and can say I was pleasantly surprised with how much softer the ride got.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I'm also on Tein springs, about a 2" drop, and can say I was pleasantly surprised with how much softer the ride got.
I would agree they are not bad for DD little soft for really aggressive driving.

Sent from my Moto X Play
Old 10-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
I would agree they are not bad for DD little soft for really aggressive driving.

Sent from my Moto X Play
That makes sense.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The micro Image springs are very stiff front, and not enough rear. Just watch out with this setup, because you will under street all the time, and is almost not drivable in the winter. Not sure how much snow you get in AU if any at all

are you talking in regards to having no rear sway bar? I don't auto-x my Yaris but I went on some twisty back roads this past weekend and was pushing it hard and had very little to any under steer, I also have the TRD rear sway bar.

I've yet to drive it in the snow
Old 10-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
tmontague

not to hijack the thread but quick Q:

will running sport rear shocks with oem front struts paired with MI lowering springs cause the car to slightly over steer and correct the issue mentioned above?

If that would fix the potential issue I can very easily just purchase new sport rear shocks instead of doing all 4 to sport
Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote: "I'm not looking for a drastic drop, in particular TRD springs caught my eye with 0.5 in front and 1.5 in back drop. "

This spec has been misquoted before.
The TRD springs are actually 1.5" drop front and back unless you get the Toyota Canada spec which are Eibach springs at 1.25" drop at both ends.
My TRD springs are more likely at a 2" drop after a few years running. TRD 18" wheel package rubs slightly on the inner fender at full lock and against the outer fender during big bumps. These are 215's and I know the added weight of my Blitz S/C up front is contributing to the outer rubs.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
not to hijack the thread but quick Q:

will running sport rear shocks with oem front struts paired with MI lowering springs cause the car to slightly over steer and correct the issue mentioned above?

If that would fix the potential issue I can very easily just purchase new sport rear shocks instead of doing all 4 to sport
Since the front and rear suspensions work independently from each other, i think you should be ok with that set-up.

I also have a set of MI springs i'm going to install at one point, along with a set of aftermarket chinese shocks as part of a suspension experiment. (i expect it to fail miserably, but worth a try nonetheless)
Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Quote: "I'm not looking for a drastic drop, in particular TRD springs caught my eye with 0.5 in front and 1.5 in back drop. "

This spec has been misquoted before.
The TRD springs are actually 1.5" drop front and back unless you get the Toyota Canada spec which are Eibach springs at 1.25" drop at both ends.
My TRD springs are more likely at a 2" drop after a few years running. TRD 18" wheel package rubs slightly on the inner fender at full lock and against the outer fender during big bumps. These are 215's and I know the added weight of my Blitz S/C up front is contributing to the outer rubs.
Where do u get ur numbers from for TRD springs, really now.
It's. 5 and 1.5 anything else is not TRD for Yaris and if ur springs sit this much lower after few years than I say u got fakes or there is something really wrong.

Sent from my Moto X Play
Old 10-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Sorry, correction. TRD springs, at least in 2008, were 1.25" drop front and rear. I see that Sparks show your spec of 0.5" and 1.25" at this time. Believe me, the 0.5" number is erroneous or an update. Fender rub is an issue with the 1.25" drop paired with the TRD 18" wheel package.
Toyota Canada's offering, which were Eibach, were/are only a 1" drop all around. I honestly haven't paid much attention to such spec's since choosing and installing my parts.
Exiwolfman, mine are the genuine US product personally imported from Conecelli Toyota in Pennsylvania. My stock parts remain in the original TRD cartons here in my home. And fyi, this set-up is going on 7+ years and approx. 160,000 kilometers so some additional drop isn't such a surprise and I'm okay with it. The dampers still work flawlessly.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
are you talking in regards to having no rear sway bar? I don't auto-x my Yaris but I went on some twisty back roads this past weekend and was pushing it hard and had very little to any under steer, I also have the TRD rear sway bar.

I've yet to drive it in the snow
Yes in regards without a rear swaybar. It was horrible driving with the MI springs without any sort of rear swaybar, so I installed the TRD, but I wish I got the 21mm white line.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Tanabe springs dropped 1.5" all around, TRD sway bar. 205/45R16 tires on 16 x 7 wheels and 40 offset. I could fit 225's

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lowering springs, suspension, wheels