Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
ULTRA RACING braces

Haven't posted in a while here so I thought I'd share my experience after putting in Ultra Racing (plus some Megan Racing) braces in my Yaris. After spending about 600 bucks to install the following:

1.) front strut-bar
2.) front lower 4-pt brace
3.) side lower brace
4.) room bar
5.) rear lower 2-pt (Megan)
6.) middle lower 2-pt (Megan)
7.) rear combination suspension brace and sway bar (Megan)

I have to say the car now feels so very very tight! Handling has improved significantly in that steering response is better, it's so much more easier to get the tail out with the yank of the e-brake (much harder before) and at high speed the car feels a edgier compared to before.

It stiffened up the car so much that the ride has changed drastically. Of course NVH is up but I knew that coming into this so I'm not complaining. It really feels like I put a 'cage in the car, omparingg it to my two other cars that I installed roll-cages in (Evo and Supra).

I know some 'experts' will argue I wasted money on some/all of these braces but hell I swear by all these braces put together in theYris, not exactly what you'd call a 'stiff' chassis out of the box. Even with new 17' 57 Motorsports wheels and 205/45 tires, the suspension is just really transformed thanks to the really stiff chassis.

I'm just waiting for the fender brace. I didn't install the rear strut brace anymore as I won't be able to fit my golf bag and spare wheels and tires for myself and my buddies when we hit the track. I'm amazed the Yaris, with the rear seats down, will swallo 17' and probably even 18' wheels and tires! Fantastic!

FYI the UR stuff is made out of chromoly-steel alloy. Not as light as some of the CF / titanium / aluminum Cusco but the overall weight added to the car was a measly 20 kilos (we weighed them in all before installing).

Hope others who ave UR braces or similar can chime in. :)

My issue now is how to go about upgrading the suspension. Coil-overs, shocks n springs or just springs? Oh well, gotta try a Yaris with coil-overs first hehehe
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
awdblazer

Drives: 1998 toyota rav4
post pics!!!
awdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
botchilah

You know I'd love to but I just plain suck at these things (still somewhat living in the stone age hehehe). I can email pics to someone who can post them up for me hehehehe
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
pikturs!
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Email me and I'll post them. ryankerch@gmail.com
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
botchilah

ryank thanks for the offer! Gimme a few more days to get the fender bars installed (will take almost an entire day to install since the front fenders, front bumper, headlights and some other stuff will have to be removed) and get pics of the car underneath to show off the braces there, which is quite a lot!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
botchilah

BUMP!

I am sending some pics to ryank now. Sorry for the quality of the pics, I forgot to bring my camera and had to use my phone camera with shaky hands.

There was a HUGE difference when I finally installed the fender braces. NVH increased tremendously, and tire noise from the tires was noticeably louder.

The good part? There's a very nasty expansion joint I have to go through on EDSA, our main intra-city highway. WHenever I'd pass through these expansion joints before in any car, the entire front end would really shake hard with a loud bang and sometimes the steering wheel would kickback violently. Yeah I know I should slow down for this. The Yaris was no exception. But when I intentionally passed it earlier, there was simply a mild thump but the Yaris kept going straight and there was none of that loud, crashing sound followed by really harsh vibration and sudden steering wheel kickback. The entire front end feels solid, I'm impressed!

Last edited by botchilah; 05-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
botchilah

UPDATE: the fender braces, which bolt up to the front door hinges have slightly misaligned my front doors. I'll have to align them again this weekend, hopefully aftrwards it should close better. Still waiting for ryank to post pics online of the pictures of the braces I took.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris

33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
very nice! -- when you say "misaligned", can we see what that looks like?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
where's the room bar and underside braces?
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
botchilah

Re underside braces, it's the white A-shaped bars on the 2nd picture that's sandwiching the red Megan bar. I could not get good clear pictures because the lighting sucked big time. RE room bar, damn I knew I forgot something! Will take more pictures and have ryank post them for me again soon.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
botchilah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
very nice! -- when you say "misaligned", can we see what that looks like?
cali, you can't really see it. It's just that the door doesn't close as smoothly, like the hinges forced the door to move upward/downward a bit by maybe no more than a millimeter so the edges of the door catch the door frame / jamb before it closes.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
where's the room bar and underside braces?
on my website, and in stock
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
wow since when did they have the ones for the inside fenders
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Since I started selling them... just kidding, actually longer than that, but they are in stock:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...&productId=136

side underbraces too!

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...&productId=135
Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #18
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Since I started selling them... just kidding, actually longer than that, but they are in stock:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...&productId=136

side underbraces too!

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...&productId=135

I just realized you got those in stock today, I have to think about the fender Brace then
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote