Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Ktszeligo
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 toyota yaris 4 door
Exclamation My car is making a strange noise, and it's only 4 months old...

I've had my yaris for 4 months, and I absolutely love it. I know very little about cars, so I apologize in advance if my concern/question seems silly. For the last two weeks or so my car has been making a strange grinding/scraping noise every time I go to make a tight turn (i.e. Turning into a parking spot, backing out of the driveway). It won't make the noise when it's just a simple turn, and it seems to be running fine otherwise. I live in northeast Ohio and we've had a bitter cold spell along with tons of snow being dumped on us, so I THINK it might just be ice, but I wanted some experts to weigh in. I've checked the wheel wells and don't see any snow built up, but I'll be honest and admit that I haven't climbed underneath to look on the inside because doing so would require me to lay in a foot of snow. :/ Should I be concerned and take it in for service? Or should I wait until the next thaw to see if it still makes the noise? I love my car, I don't want it to break on me! thanks in advance.
Ktszeligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Welcome to YW BTW ok their is a thread around here talking about that, I've noticed the other day that same noise but its normal some say, but I'm not sure about that is your car from the dealer or second hand? If its from the dealer have them check it out its under warranty so they need to follow up, let us know how it works out.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Duck Hunter 117

Drives: 2010 3dr
Some shocks tend to make a scrapping sound when they are cold. I just fought this same issue on my Solsice. A good way to check it find a speed bump and go over it around 5mph to see if the sound has anything to do with the suspension being compressed.

Does the noise always come from the same spot. Front/back left/right?
Duck Hunter 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
I have to disagree with you Duck, this has to do with the shaft in which this part has bearings for some reason this is an over site by Toyota but I might be wrong but the suspension has nothing to do with it.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I've recently noticed the same (I believe) sound as well; when the steering is at or near full lock and I punch the accelerator, there is a grinding sound/sensation. Other than not accelerating hard when the steering is at full lock, I haven't given it much more thought. I would also appreciate advice from anyone with knowledge.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, steering, winter