Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
rajjii

Drives: yaris 1999 998cc
speedometer probs.

hi,everyone new to this forum so will be really grateful for any advice...
regarding my wifes 1999 yaris {i litre],,well what happened last week while she was driving,all the dashboard lights suddenly went off...no indicators,heating control,electric windows.speedometer etc....
so i took it to a local back street garage who i know well....eventually,after checking the fuse box,one of the 10 amp fuse was faulty, but after inserting a new fuse,it immediately blew,tried 2 more times and again it blew....the guy then put in a 15amp fuse and that seemed to stabilise everything...
however,driving home,the speedometer and odemeter are now giving problems with the speedometer going haywire...and odemeter not registering anything..

one of my concern,is having a 15amp fuse where there should be a 10amp fuse cause any problems?

now what can be the problem with the speedometer? the garage told me it probably requires a "speedometer diffuser"
after reading other forums,i,m led to believe it could be 1 of 5 other problems..
grateful if any one give me help on this...
thanks
rajjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Putting in a larger fuse is never an acceptable solution and could lead to far more serious problems, including fire.

The 10A fuse that was blowing was most likely the GAUGE fuse. The proper way to debug the issue would be to check each of the items that it feeds to determine which is drawing more current than it should. Besides being one of the actual devices, it could be a nicked wire that it touching something metal.

I would start with unplugging the connectors to the instrument cluster and then replacing the fuse. If it does not pop, but the other things still function then you have narrowed the problem down to it (or the devices that it directly feeds, like the fuel level sender, and speed sensor). Next you would individually disconnect each of those and and see with which disconnected the fuse does not pop.

If it still popped with the speedometer disconnected, your next thing to check would be the door control module, as it also gets fed by that fuse. Disconnect it and see if the fuse still pops.

After that, the power widow control would be the next to check. It is a bit more difficult to check as its relay is located within the body ECU.

After that, the heater relay would be the next to check.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
rajjii

Drives: yaris 1999 998cc
thanks CISCOTT for your welcome advice.ill get this checked out...cheers
rajjii is offline   Reply With Quote