Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Arrow Clicking noise in center console?

Hey guys. I've had my Yaris since May and so far it's been great!

However, over the past couple of weeks I've been hearing this plastic clicking noise whenever I go over a bump from the center console (it sounds like it's coming from just behind the shifter, under that panel where the door lock button is). If I push down and hold the plastic console by the button it goes away ... but as soon as I let go, it comes back once I hit another bump. Oh ... they aren't very large bumps, just little cracks in the road.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? And how would I go about opening up that center console to see what the noise is? Or should I just bring it in because it's still under warranty?
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
BINGO - warranty item.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Just take it to the place from where you bought it, in order to fix it.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Bidoup

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 3dr BB
Have the same problem but the sound is comming from behind the driver's seat... seems like its coming from the rear speaker of my liftback or near that... I think I'll told the dealer when I'll go make my oil change in the next couple of weeks to have that fix...
Bidoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Heheheheh! Toyota are the king of the rattle!! Trust me, it's only began by your dash, but in some month/year, your entire car will do several rattle noice! My 2K2 Echo (106,000 KM now) is a real kingdom of the rattle noice...

Toyota are always ranked the last against other Japanese's brands for thier poor interior quality! My friend own the new 2006 RAV-4 and he have many annoying rattle only 1½ month after buying it. Before, he owned a 2004 Camry SE, also with a lot of rattle! My previous boss own a 2K3 Matrix, also with several rattle.

Toyota = poor interior quality = rattle noice. That's the life!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
At least you are able to locate the rattle. Dealer should be able to fix relatively easy. The rattles you cannot pinpoint are almost impossible to fix. And as a fyi, Toyota is not the "king of rattles". Majority of ALL cars have some type of rattle rather it be a huge noise or just a little noise going over a bump. This is true of Mercedes down to the Kia.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
Hardax

Drives: Black Sedan Auto
Count me in on clicking noise. Right around my instrument cluster. Had the dealer look at it. As soon as I drove off I noticed it was now 100% WORSE!
Hardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardax
Count me in on clicking noise. Right around my instrument cluster. Had the dealer look at it. As soon as I drove off I noticed it was now 100% WORSE!

yeah I'll take my trim tool and take off the cluster. Will post pics later. I am assuming its a wire connector that vibrates in front of the cluster gauge.
sam07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I've been lucky so far. 17,000km and no rattles. I do have tons of loose stuff in the glovebox, but only hear when I go over a pot-hole or bump. At one point, my wife dropped a rattly cd case in the passenger door slot, that I was unaware of. The thing was driving me batty for a week and the sound seem as if it was coming from overhead. Once I discovered it and dropped kicked it across the drive-way, problem solved. So, I see how it can become very difficult to track down the noise even when it's in a obvious place.

If the problem realy is coming from the centre consol, the dealership should be the best place to get it fixed, considering they're the last to touch it when installing the radio.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote