Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
Girishk19

Drives: Toyota Belta
Automatic Transmission 4 Yaris Sedan 1.3

Hi! I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a second hand 2007 Yaris Sedan more commonly know as "Belta" in Mauritius. I am looking for any relevant info in general about the car. But what is bothering me is the "S" and "B" on the automatic transmission as many people have given me conflicting information about what they really stand for. Some say it is a sport mode and others say it is 2nd gear. I would like to know what u guys thinks?
Girishk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girishk19 View Post
Hi! I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a second hand 2007 Yaris Sedan more commonly know as "Belta" in Mauritius. I am looking for any relevant info in general about the car. But what is bothering me is the "S" and "B" on the automatic transmission as many people have given me conflicting information about what they really stand for. Some say it is a sport mode and others say it is 2nd gear. I would like to know what u guys thinks?
Have you looked in the car manual (if it came with it/given to you when you bought it). It should state everything you need to know there.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
Girishk19

The car was imported from Japan(First owner from Japan) and the car manual was in Japanese. And can't find the appropriate User Manual for my car on the net!!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quite the pickle...

Let me see if I can google something.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

If you can snap a pic of the gear console, we might be able to decipher it.

I can't really find anything on google...
Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

This is what I managed to find:

"S is for Sport
B is for Brake

For more information on this please visit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

I have got the japanese owner's manual for Toyota Vitz CVT-i in front of me p186. Have just translated the words Drive, Sport and Brake into japanese using Google Translation and it returned me the same japanese letter combinations (words) which are mentioned here with the letters D, S and B. Cheers :-)"
Old 06-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

And from that wiki link:

"S or Sport
This is commonly described as Sport mode. It operates in an identical manner as "D" mode, except that the upshifts change much higher up the engine's rev range. This has the effect on maximising all the available engine output, and therefore enhances the performance of the vehicle, particularly during acceleration. This mode will also downchange much higher up the rev range compared to "D" mode, maximising the effects of engine braking. This mode will have a detrimental effect on fuel economy. Hyundai has a Norm/Power switch next to the gearshift for this purpose on the Tiburon.

Brake (B)
A mode selectable on some Toyota models. In non-hybrid cars, this mode lets the engine do compression braking, also known as engine braking, typically when encountering a steep downhill. Instead of engaging the brakes, the engine in a non-hybrid car switches to a lower gear and slows down the spinning tires. The engine holds the car back, instead of the brakes slowing it down. GM called this "HR" ("hill retarder") and "GR" ("grade retarder") in the 1950s. For hybrid cars, this mode converts the electric motor into a generator for the battery. It is not the same as downshifting in a non-hybrid car, but it has the same effect in slowing the car without using the brakes."
Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
Girishk19

"Second (2 or S)
This mode limits the transmission to the first two gear ratios, or locks the transmission in second gear on Ford, Kia, and Honda models. This can be used to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, as well as climbing or going down hills in the winter time. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of second gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage.

Although traditionally considered second gear, there are other names used. Chrysler models with a three-speed automatic since the late 1980s have called this gear 3 while using the traditional names for Drive and Low. "

There is also this one!! Thats why am confused!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
Girishk19

Will try to get a pic asap!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girishk19 View Post
"Second (2 or S)
This mode limits the transmission to the first two gear ratios, or locks the transmission in second gear on Ford, Kia, and Honda models. This can be used to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, as well as climbing or going down hills in the winter time. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of second gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage.

Although traditionally considered second gear, there are other names used. Chrysler models with a three-speed automatic since the late 1980s have called this gear 3 while using the traditional names for Drive and Low. "

There is also this one!! Thats why am confused!!!
Put it in S, and see how it drives and when it shifts. If it shifts later, then it's sports mode. If it shifts once (into second) or not at all (stays in second), then it means it's "second."
Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
Girishk19

Yep will try it!! Thx!