Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
chew246214

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan base
surging & WOT problems any suggestions

OK my 2009 Yaris has a whopping 2287 miles.. since day one at right about 20 mph actually 17-18 mph if you are just cruising in traffic with your foot barely on the gas the car starts surging rpm's up and down, once it hits 22 it stops.... just really annoying...... Toyota says it's normal if the a/c or defroster on... is this true? if so how crappy and is there a fix.....
Also another thing... I am not trying to jump on the bandwagon here but it's happened when I first got the car a few months ago and another 5 or six times this week..... Getting on the highway I admitt I jump on the car pretty close to Wide open throttle if not fully there but whats been happening is when I get off the gas or back it down it still keeps it wide open for 3-5 seconds... Will scare the crap outa ya.. believe me... BTW these cars do go over 100 mph and not on purpose.... was ready to drop it into neutral and let it blow it's self up then it let go... No there was no mat in the way... 1st thing I checked as it was happening reached down and pulled it back. I have been watching the news. At the dealer and of course they can't find a problem, I'm old school so a sticking throttle first thing you did on an older car is stomp the gas pedal to the floor a few times and it would usually unstick it... well this did nothing.... Standing on the brakes doing over 100 mph wasn't fun...... BTW 2009 sedan base no cruise with Auto..... Any help would be appreciated
thanks
chew246214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
with all the TBW things going on right now, I am sure you can go to the dealership and complain and it will be taken care of.... you are under your 3 year 36k mile warranty still
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
none of what you describe is normal.

that car haz issues
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
chew246214

well there agian today, they told me with the a/c or defrost on which defrost this time of year is pretty norm would cause it to surge and fluctuate.. ok at idle a few hundred rpm's ok and I see that, but at 20 mph and the car seems to almost buck and rpms up and down at least 500 rpm's as for the throttle problem it's still up in the air... only good thing is today went for a ride with the service manager and the throttle stuck wide open... only for a second or 2 but enough for him to say whoa slow down....... and it wasn't me so atleast point proven... still insisting the 20 mph thing is normal... sucks when in traffic..... but didn't happen today on the ride with the service manager
Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
chew246214

btw throttle by wire is exteremely common these days most manufacturers are using it.. not too many cables left... I think it's an issue with the machining of the gas pedal itself.. btw was talking on our ride and got a little inside info if people don't know yet... Check another post... I'm putting it up under general forum...
Old 01-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
chew246214

Still insisting nothing wrong with the car..... told them to keep it until it's fixed.... I don't want to be that person but I also don't want someone to get hurt either... the service manager was in the car when it happened but there is nothing wrong with it????
Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

When I'm cruising on level ground at around 20 MPH, I often find that the slight amount of power needed to maintain the speed is so close to idle power that it cuts in and out of DFCO, causing a surging effect. When the fuel cuts completely off in DFCO, the car suddenly starts gently decelerating, and on giving it slightly more gas, the power abruptly cuts back on and it surges ahead. It is normal. There's no gradual fadeout from idle power to DFCO, which is negative idle power. It abruptly switches states. It's a minor nuisance. Can't be "fixed." It will be more exaggerated if you push the pedal harder when the DFCO cuts in than if you barely ease it on, as the engine will suddenly start producing power with the throttle wider open.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew246214 View Post
1st thing I checked as it was happening reached down and pulled it back.
And how exactly did you do that? Sorry but that alone takes away from the credibility of your story..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
chew246214

I am 6 foot 1 inch tall... I can still keep a hand on the wheel and touch the floor while seeing over the steering wheel... not that hard to do... sit in your driver's seat in driving position and put your hand on the floor.. unless you are really tiny with t-rex arms shouldn't be a problem..... and yes it was the first thing I thought of since I have the rubber winter mats in the car.... and no I didn't freak out either.. I am an experienced driver that leaves early in the morning and when this happened there was no danger to others since nobody else was near. I am a calm and collected person who has had extensive driver training due to my past jobs and did not freak out. Just thought of the obvious right away which happened to not be the problem. Fact of the matter was it happened with the service manager in the car with me, so how does that make my story less creditable? Just wondering.....
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
andro marcello

Drives: Toyota Vios G A/T
Send a message via Yahoo to andro marcello
Clean the throttel body throroughly.
andro marcello is offline   Reply With Quote