Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #253
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
This resurrection is really making me chomp at the bit to get my tanabes installed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #254
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
My shocks and struts are just about done. I wanna build up my car on a budget. I found a set of used tein street basis coilovers online.

Is it worth to get the used coilovers or buy new shocks/struts with springs?

This is my dd and won't be tracked. I might enter an autox event this summer but not sure. I drive hard in the turns.

What kind of performance can I expect from these coilovers vs a set of aftermarket shocks with springs?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #255
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I've never used CO's but based on what you want from your Yaris i'd say stick with a set of springs and go w/ performance shocks.

The problem is finding high performance shocks. Tokiko blues are no longer made for the Yaris but they're your best bet price wise. They make Tokiko Reds which are adjustable and Garm from MI is selling them for each corner of the car. However even with his price they're roughly the same as a new pair of street basis'.

Short answer: If the Blues were still available i'd vote go for those. In reality a set of street basis CO's are prob the next best option. Apparently they're not too stiff for a DD, only down side is you can't adjust stiffness. But you can adjust ride height (good for ☃ winters) and to perfect the look.

Also check out Megan EZ street CO's I believe they're adjustable for stiffness as well.

If I can't source a set of front performance struts as good or better than the Blues down the road when my stock one's blow out. Then i'll just be putting th cash down on a new set of EZ coilovers. Not the most comfortable for a DD, but i'm not too picky about plushness of my ride. I have my fiancees car for that.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #256
Frank the Tank

That's the reason I ask. New shocks/struts with springs would cost roughly the same as the coilovers. Aftermarket shocks and springs would be about the same.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #257
sarap

Drives: red liftback egg
Get the coils ! You'll be happy with the different levels of adjustment for height and comfort adjustments with the turns of the dampening knobs. I look at it as a possible investment for a re-sale down the line too.

Last edited by sarap; 02-25-2016 at 11:34 AM.
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #258
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarap View Post
Get the coils ! You'll be happy with the different levels of adjustment for height and comfort adjustments with the turns of the dampening knobs. I look at it as a possible investment for a re-sale down the line too.
Ya if price is the same then just go for the CO's. I'd try and source some softer CO's as most are pretty damn stiff for a DD from what I've heard online.

The Street Basis' are apparently fairly comfortable for a DD but then again they have no damper adjustment. I'd look into the EZ street CO's as I think they're damper adjustable but I'm not sure how stiff the spring rate is on them.

It likely won't do anything for re sale down the road, if you want good re sale, keep it stock and keep it rust free and up to date with proof of maintenance schedules. The only way it will increase re sale value is if you find the right (rare) buyer who appreciates what you've done. Even then anyone w/ some common sense will only give you the price of a stock used one since they know you likely won't find another buyer who'll pay more than that.

Most people buy a Yaris for it's intended purpose...a grocery getter
Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #259
Frank the Tank

I'm probably going to go with the coilovers. They aren't the best but if I can get them for the right price than I can't really go wrong. They'd be half as much as a new set of the Megan's.

OEM shocks with springs is going to be pretty much the same price, (maybe more with shipping/exchange/customs if necessary) than the coilovers.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #260
tmontague

Curious as to how you find the stiffness of the street Basis. How many miles on the used set?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #261
sarap

My bad I meant re sale for the coil overs
Old 02-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #262
sarap

Out of curiosity will xD coils work for our cars? I'm not concerned with the difference in weight and spring rates being different ETC. Etc. I'm just concerned with the shocks lining up to the shock towers and honestly I'd want hem stiffer the better. I found someone selling some locally and I heard the xD guys use our components for suspension just wanted to confirm with the guys in here who know a lot more about he compatibility of the two chasis. His xD is 2008
Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #263
Frank the Tank

27,000km

are suspension parts interchangeable between the sedan and hatchback?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #264
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
27,000km

are suspension parts interchangeable between the sedan and hatchback?

Yes. They are 100% identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #265
Turk188

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 door
I am inching my way towards my first real modification - coilovers. I read all through this thread and I've looked around. It's been a few years since the start of this thread, some options seem to have disappeared and i wanted to know if anything else changed?
Are BC's still a thumbs down?
Megan ez are inexpensive but still good?
TEIN were also liked, the basis are about the same price as Megan's, still good?
TEIN advanced are a little less expensive than the BC's. Are they better than EZ and basis?
Any thoughts on ISC N1's?
I am kinda leaning towards the TEIN basis, around 700 is ok budget wise, from the posts not as hard as megans for a DD and I'm just looking for a wheel gap of about an inch (looked at lowering springs, but prefer more height control) and a planted feel.
Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited by Turk188; 08-03-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Turk188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #266
JRHPNG
Work in Progress

Drives: 2010 JDM Vitz RS NCP91
Score! Tein Coilovers

Snapped up this deal.. $300 NZD. Only 10,000km on them. Just need an OCD clean.

Tein low down spec light weight master basic compact (what a mouthful)

If coil overs work out (my first experience with them) I'll likely keep for a while and upgrade to a new set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 437512332.jpg (82.4 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by JRHPNG; 09-09-2017 at 06:23 AM.
JRHPNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #267
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHPNG View Post
Snapped up this deal.. $300 NZD. Only 10,000km on them. Just need an OCD clean.

Tein low down spec light weight master basic compact (what a mouthful)

If coil overs work out (my first experience with them) I'll likely keep for a while and upgrade to a new set.
hey nice are those camber adjustment arms.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #268
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk188 View Post
I am inching my way towards my first real modification - coilovers. I read all through this thread and I've looked around. It's been a few years since the start of this thread, some options seem to have disappeared and i wanted to know if anything else changed?
Are BC's still a thumbs down?
Megan ez are inexpensive but still good?
TEIN were also liked, the basis are about the same price as Megan's, still good?
TEIN advanced are a little less expensive than the BC's. Are they better than EZ and basis?
Any thoughts on ISC N1's?
I am kinda leaning towards the TEIN basis, around 700 is ok budget wise, from the posts not as hard as megans for a DD and I'm just looking for a wheel gap of about an inch (looked at lowering springs, but prefer more height control) and a planted feel.
Any thoughts appreciated
you could always get the sportivo shocks and the lowering springs and save yourself abour 200 usd.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #269
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Whiteline sells adjustable sway bar end links
Old 09-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #270
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote: