Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Tutorial : Speaker Changing, Headlight Painting, Center Control Colour,Panel Removal

Vodka something, said it would be helpful if it was here, since its lost in the other topic. Have fun changing the lights people....

---------- TUTORIAL ----------

Use this tutorial to change stocked bulbs or replace condom

Items Used
>Needle
>Pen

Items Baught
>Led Blue Bulbs

>Red 5mm Condoms

Information you might need to know.
>This is a QUICK tutorial and some pictures may be missing and some information i might have missed. But i will do my best to cover everything
>If you want to change the colour and DONT want to change the bulb buy condoms!!
>If you want to change the colour and WANT to change the bulb buy bulbs. Plz dont msg me or ask me about bulb sizes cuz i really dont know!! :)
>You dont have to change the colour to red or blue. It can be whatever colour u want.
>If you fuck the process up and you took this tutorial, DONT BLAME ME USE THIS TUTORIAL AT YOUR OWN RISK.
>Have fun :P

Step One : Choose what colour you want to change for your knobs.

Step Two : Go to your local major supplier and ask for that colour condom or light bulb.
Note : To be safe with buying the coloured bulbs best choose my brand. (Pic above) becuz thats the brand i used and it works perfectly. I dont know what other brand or size that will replace the stocked bulbs.

Step Three : Its time to take apart the CENTER CONSOLE (If you wanna call it that) Start by taking off the side pieces.

Step Four : Take off top silver thingy

Step Five : Now take off the center silver thingy

Step Six : You will now see the back of the center piece with all the knobs and crap. Anyway you can start with whatever knob you feel like. I started from the top, since thats the easiest one.

Once the white thing is taken off. You will see a circular shape with a line through it and 2 holes. That is the bulb.

Step Seven : Now its time to take out the bulb. I used a pen to get it out, i believe i didnt harm the bulb with a pen when taking it out. Anyway use a pen and stick it in one of the little holes and TURN IT ANTI CLOCKWISE it should pop out.

Step Eight : This is what the stocked bulb looks like!!!

Sorry Violin i got lazy

FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE THE CONDOM!!!!

Step Nine : Get your baught coloured condom and replace it!! THATS IT!!

Step Ten : Put your new coloured bulb into the hole and lock it in with your pen. Clockwise.

THATS YOUR TOP ONE DONE :)

Step Eleven : Now its time to change the other 2. FOLLOW STEP SIX AND UP Remove white thing, you will see the bulb, take it out, replace condom and place it back in.

FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE THE BULB!!

Step Nine : Ok now u got the stocked bulb in your hand. Its time to STRIP IT APART!! :) :) :) :) Now using a needle take apart the wiring that is connected to the "housing" if thats what u wanna call it. Its too hard to use your nails. Ive tried.

It will look something like this after its all apart.

Step Ten : Now its time to strip of the BAUGHT Coloured bulb. Its the same deal. But you can use your nails to pul apart the baught bulb.

Step Eleven : Ok all done? Time to combine the STOCKED BASE WITH THE BAUGHT BULB!!! Its the same deal but in reverse. You will have to pattern the wires as the stocked wires.

It will look something like this!! There you have it, your replaced bulb!

Step Twelve : Time to put it in!!! Lock it in clockwise with your pen and there you go!! THATS IT! Put everthing back together and now you have nice sexy new coloured lights.

BTW i couldnt be fucked changing the middle one so i left it red. I think it looks good Blue Red Blue. :)

Thanks for reading or checkin out my tutorial. Boy that was a bitch to write!! But i gotta give back sumfin to the community.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

---------- MY HEADLIGHTS ----------

Phase 1 (Stocked)

Phase 2 (Added black)

Phase 3 (Added RED!)

Plz tell me if you think its hot or not!!.....personally i love it!! (Not becuz its done by me, cuz the colours looks soooo good.....lol)

---------- TUTORIAL ----------

Items i used
- Phillips screw driver (the + head one)
- Black "Power Plus Spray Brush" Spray Paint 150g
(you might want to get a bigger size if your are painting the majority of the headlights)
- Maskin tape

1- Start by opening your hood (DUH)
2- You will see these little black pivet thingy's....you need to take all of them out. To get them out push the little circle in the middle of the black things and push them up. to get them back in again do the opposite.

3- There will be some on the side of the bumper next to the wheels so u can get them out too.
4-Next thing up - look under the car, there will be screws there. Take them out with a PHILLIPS screwdriver.
5 - Now your ready to take off the bumper. (As for me i didnt take it off, i just pulled it off half way, while half of it was still attached to the car) To take off the bumper you need to put a bit of pulling force. 1st of all PULL each side of the bumper with a bit of force (dont worry i wont snap or bend the bumper)

6- now its time to remove the lights.........first of all there are 3 screws that are holding the lights in place. Get them out!!!

7-Now take off the head lights and of course the wires are connected to it.

8-Now thats done, do it to the other one!!! when both headlights are off, shut the hood, lock up ur car and get those things into your OVEN!...lol

(SORRY NO PICS FOR THIS SECTION!!)
9-Ok put your headlights into the oven and set it to 250 - 300 Degrees (I put mine on 250. 250 is enough). Leave it in there for about 5 mins!! DONT LEAVE IT FOR 5 MINS STRAIGHT!!! KEEP CHECKING IT SO IT DOESNT MELT!!
10- The gooey REALLY STICKY glue should all be LOOSENED up, so take it out of the oven and GET A BUTTER KNIFE and try to seperate it with the butter knife!!! (if your doin it with ur hands it will be harder, i suggest get a butter knife and stick it between the black and the clear plastic and bend the knife upwards so it will pop out!!)
11 - once its sperated it will look like this (thats just the gooey glue)

12- Now get the parts you wanna SPRAY paint. go outside and spray IT! if you are paintin it black, have about 3-5 coats on. AND REMEMBER NOT TO SPRAY TOO CLOSE, becuz there will be dry drip marks on it. you dont want that. it doesnt matter if there are unfinished patches in your 1st - 2nd coat. the 3rd - 5th coat will cover it all up! and it will look great! With every coat leave it in the sun to dry for about 10 mins then go to ur 2nd coat and so on.

Oh yea you might wanna cover the spaces u dont want to spray black, red, blue whatever colour with good masking tape.

12 - once everything is painted and your happy PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER :)

(ive just painted the top bit....thats all i wanted done...)

13- now go back to ur car, put in the headlights, attach the bumper, and put in the little black plastic thingys and the screws back in.

THERE U GO!! WALLA!! you now have sexy black head lights....
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
very nice

edit:
I noticed a resister on the LED bulbs that you bought.. did you leave that on? and if so did you notice on the packaging if it told you what resistance?

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

--------- TUTORIAL FOR TAKING OFF DOOR PANELS ---------

NOTE : Sorry people i have pics to the tutorial but i cant be F***ED uploadin it.

Well this is a simple version of it. If you know a little bit about cars then this simple tutorial will be NP..

>Pull out the 3 grey long strips on the door

>If you have power windows, on the DRIVERS side the switches for the power windows will have 3 screws that will be attached to the grey plastic thing. Take them out

>So the 3 grey plastic things should all be deattached.

>Next there will be 3 black screws attached to the door panel.....take them out, one is in the middle and i forgot where the others are. But there are 3!

>time to pull it off! Pull the bottom part of the panel, and it will pop out. (Only the bottom half will pop out)

>Next is to PULL UP the door panel and the whole thing should come out.

Hope that helps
Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

---------- TUTORIAL FOR REPLACING 6.5" INCH SPEAKERS. LB & SEDAN ---------

Items Used :
>Drill
>1/4 Bolt Screws
>Screw Driver
>Scissors
>Electrial Tape

THE PROPER WAY

Step 1 : take out the wire plug thats connected to the stocked one...

Step 2 : Get a DRILL and DRILL OUT the rivets that is rivetted on....(the silver things) theres 3

Step 3 : get the "SAT6" bracket/spacer and attach ur 6.5" speaker onto it. Dont know where to get the brakets from? Thats easy. From EBAY!

Step 4 : Once your new speakers are in the Sat6 speaker brackets, its time to connect the wire. Remeber Neg with Neg, Pos with Pos. Use the scissors the strip the wire and connect it.
This chart will help you if you dont know the neg and pos wires.

Left Front Speaker = Pink (+), Purple (-)
Right Front Speaker = Gray (+), Yellow (-)
***Small Plug***
Left Rear Speaker = Black (+), Yellow (-)
Right Rear Speaker = Red (+), White (-)

Step 5 : Time to screw on your new speakers. Use the 1/4 Bolt Screws to tightly place it in its place.

There you go. Done.

THE LAZY WAY

Step 1 > take out plug which is connected to the stocked speakers

Step 2 > LEAVE THE STOCKED BRACKET/SPACER in the door BUT RIP OUT the speaker (the middle part dont damage the stocked spacer)

Step 3 : mount your new speakers on the spacer on the door, connect the wires, and screw in your speakers with screws to the stocked spacer.

Last edited by hasher22; 10-19-2006 at 08:42 AM.
hasher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
very nice

edit:
I noticed a resister on the LED bulbs that you bought.. did you leave that on? and if so did you notice on the packaging if it told you what resistance?
Sorry didnt notice........... :s
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Great work dude!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Nice work hasher22. I like the different light set up in the first tutorial with the HVAC dials, looks fancy!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Nice stuff hasher.

Why not include a little blurb about SPACERS for the speakers for those truly DIY at heart people?!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
in the step #10, there is a resister, can you take a closer picture of it or tell me what colors do the resistor has, or if you know what value is the resistor can you tell me?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
If you use any type of LED bulb in that retrofit, they should already have a resistor on them, just leave it on when you put it in the neo-wedge. If you want to use your own LED that you just have sitting around, You'll need to figure out the forward voltage of the LED (should be listed on package or spec sheet) and then calculate the proper resistor to drop from 12 volts to the forward voltage of the LED.

For extra help, use this nifty calculator: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...Bowden/led.htm
and for this application fill 1 in "Total LEDs" and 12 in "Total Voltage" then fill in the "LED Voltage" and "LED Current" (in milliamps) from the package or spec sheet then hit the button to find out your needed resistor. NOTE! This is for bare LEDs only, all #74 type LED bulbs should already have the proper type resistor on them.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I just made my own Blue LED bulbs for the little sedge bulbs in the headlights... pics will come soon.... I still have not gotten around to doing hashers headlight mod... maybe on my next day off. :)
Old 10-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #13
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt
in the step #10, there is a resister, can you take a closer picture of it or tell me what colors do the resistor has, or if you know what value is the resistor can you tell me?

Ill take a pic when i drop me bro off to work.

Thanks peeeepole, i wouldnt have done these mods with this site. Well i woulda eventually but you know what i mean :)
Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 AM   #14
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Nice stuff hasher.

Why not include a little blurb about SPACERS for the speakers for those truly DIY at heart people?!
I did? Get the Sat6 Spacer from ebay....lol thats all isnt it? :P
Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #15
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I think hes refering to how to make your own spacer; vrs buying one.. I'll link up to a couple of different threads... 1 sec.

Edit:

Hatchback Speaker template (from - bigsky2) -
Direct link to post :http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=1
Thread Link: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...speaker+spacer

Make own spacer (by me) -
Direct Link to post: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...57&postcount=2
Thread Link: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...3657#post23657

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:12 AM   #16
Ayka

Drives: 07' Yaris HB | Blazin' Blue
Ok... First issue.

I tried changing in some LEDs (With resistors already on them) last night. Turned on the car, and I must've had the LED in wrong, cause I think I've popped the Fuse. Now none of the lights work (I only put in 1 led), and the Dimming control doesnt work.

Before I go pulling around, does anyone have any ideas what may have happened?
Ayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

I HIGHLY doubt that u popped a fuse.

Insert the lightblub, and turn on your lights. If it doesnt light up push the light bulb in so the wires of the bulb acually connects to the gold metal bit and see if that works.

2nd thing, what i had to do is the position of the lightbulb. With the LED bulbs theres a thick wire and a thin wire yes? Well lets just say i had the thick wire end on the right when i inserted in the hole, but it didnt light up. So i turned it around so the thick wire was on da right, and it lit up. (well that happen with me anyway)

Hope that helped you out a bit.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #18
Ayka

Drives: 07' Yaris HB | Blazin' Blue
I'll play around with it some more. Too bad its raining like mad here >.<

Maybe I got the wrong type of LED too...
Ayka is offline   Reply With Quote