Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
jRoss

Drives: 2010 5spd sedan
New battery, low idle.

Winter made my battery go bad. I got a new one but now my idle is a lot lower than normal when I start the car. I have tried resetting it twice now. I also used maf sensor cleaner. Should I do anything about this? Is the battery I bought not strong enough? It's a duralast platinum, I bought it for the 3 year warranty.
jRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is normal and should take care of itself after it runs for a bit. If it seems like it is not doing so, then you need to clean the throttle body, as the carbon deposits cause the TPS zeroing to be off after a battery disconnect.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
jRoss

Thank you Scott! You're the man!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
What you are experiencing would happen any time the battery has been disconnected for 10 or so minutes. Upon hooking up a battery again, the ECU needs to go through a 'learning' stage to reset fuel trims.

My idle is usually at around 250rpm after a battery disconnect.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Why would a slow idle be bad?

One thing that REALLY annoys/disturbs me, is the cold engine RACING on startup. Dealer tells me, reasonably, that it's emissions laws - the Cat Converter needs to heat up fast to satisfy our goobermint keepers; and so Toyota complies with a screaming cold start.

But that's murder on an engine. So, to my way of thinking, a slow idle at startup, even temporary, would be nothing but good.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
So, to my way of thinking, a slow idle at startup, even temporary, would be nothing but good.
The ECU reset idle is so low that the car will stall out. You pretty much need to keep feathering the gas to keep it alive. Last for about 30 minutes, then idle is back up to normal 600rpm range as the ECU relearns running parameters.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
jRoss

I was having to feather the gas. It was running about 400rpm idle and the whole car would shake like it was about to die. Like Scott said, it did fix itself after just a day of driving. My car is running better than ever now.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRoss View Post
Like Scott said, it did fix itself after just a day of driving. My car is running better than ever now.
The same experience I had in the past after Scott's similar post quelled my anxiety (unexpressed worry that replacing the battery had somehow triggered some other malady, or that the installation hadn't been done properly).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Very interesting.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I drove quite a few miles yesterday...mostly highway miles, but I also stopped quite a few times. The last time I started the car, it barely started. I decided (because of this issue) to go (today) to a regional chain (Brake Check) that includes a battery check and a wheel alignment check with an oil/filter change for only about $10 more than the ultra cheap place I normally use for oil/filter changes (I can also wait at the Starbucks next door, instead of a waiting room ). Sure enough , my Yaris needed a new battery. I decided last Summer (when my cheapie 1yr guarantee Wal-Mart battery was 9-10 months old) to get the same NAPA Legend that CTScott has, but I wanted to milk more time and miles out of the Wal-Mart battery (it was still passing Wal-Mart's test at the time).

As of today, I'd had the Wal-Mart cheapie for a bit over 16 1/2 months and squeezed out about 48,000 miles. After leaving Brake Check, I drove straight to the nearest NAPA store (their yellow Yaris must have been out on a delivery ). They had the NAPA in stock. I know the AutoZone closest to my house will swap out the battery for you when you buy one from them (I've seen this in progress while shopping). This NAPA store?...Um, no. They said they would charge me the core charge, and then credit it back to me when I brought in the old battery.

I decided to go to the same shop that charged me an unbelievably low amount to change my control arm bolts, etc.. I drove there and the manager said 'not here, as we're slammed here for the rest of the day, but go down the street to our quick lube place and they'll take care of you...and I'll call ahead and let them know you're coming' (they have the shop I visited, the quick lube place about a block away, and their flagship/original location about 10 or so miles away). I pulled into the driveway at the quick lube and they pointed me away from the bays (in case they got a customer while I was there). I'm glad I didn't do this myself. They had a devil of a time getting the clamp off the positive terminal (both the negative terminal and the 'strap/clamp' (that holds the battery in place) were a breeze). They only charged me $10.00. A can of spray (for the terminals) might have cost a good portion of that If I'd had to buy my own can (as opposed to the few squirts they used from the can they already had).

Reading Wee Yari's post above prompted my recall of what happened over the next 10-15 minutes. I had left an item on a chair while I was at the shop a block away, so I needed to return there. The street was so backed up, I went three blocks on side streets to get the one block back to the shop. My car died 4 times during that period. The manager said even this reaction (more extreme than with the ECM relearning the fuel trims on previous battery replacements) was not abnormal.

I headed south on I-45 (toward the NAPA store.....to give them the old battery). After a few miles, an overhead sign (for Amber Alerts and other messages) indicated that an accident ahead on I-45 (past the exit for the NAPA store) had closed the 2 center lanes (Ugh!). I decided to get off the freeway and go to the UPS store to pick up the rim (with a tire on it) that I bought from CTScott (notice found in my box last night indicated that it came yesterday). I picked up that box and decided to take a round-a-bout way to the NAPA store (quite a few miles, but I did avoid traffic re that accident ) by the time I got to the NAPA store, the idle was smooth. With the two previous cheapie replacements, the idle wasn't smooth until the next day. Original out the door cost at NAPA -- battery + state fee + core charge + tax = $137.23. When I handed them the old battery (later in the day) they credited my card back $16.24 (core charge + tax on the core charge), so the final cost was $120.99.......plus the $10.00 to the other place for the install.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
and 50 bux of gas right? haha
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
and 50 bux of gas right? haha
I hate traffic, but I love to drive (just like my grandfather). Some people like to spend money on expensive meals, some on expensive cars, and some on large homes (even when they don't need the space), and some on expensive hotels when they travel. I spend money on gas and am willing to spend money on unusual transportation in unusual or out of the way places (My uncle said the best day of his life (other than the births of his children + grandchildren + the day he married my aunt ) was a balloon ride over the Maasai Mara in Kenya...and I plan to do that!...among other out of the way places I have yet to experience). I always search Gas Buddy for the cheapest gas in any area (and of course drive a Yaris), but I don't put a limit on how much I spend on gas. I'm one of those (within reason) 'drive somewhere to save a buck, but spend a bit more than a buck doing so' people , as I look at the pleasure of the drive and not the extra expenditure on gas. I'm very 'low carbon footprint' in just about every other way (impossible to get away from the influence, growing up in the SF Bay Area in California).
Old 02-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I drove quite a few miles yesterday...mostly highway miles, but I also stopped quite a few times. The last time I started the car, it barely started. I decided (because of this issue) to go (today) to a regional chain (Brake Check) that includes a battery check and a wheel alignment check with an oil/filter change for only about $10 more than the ultra cheap place I normally use for oil/filter changes (I can also wait at the Starbucks next door, instead of a waiting room ). Sure enough , my Yaris needed a new battery. I decided last Summer (when my cheapie 1yr guarantee Wal-Mart battery was 9-10 months old) to get the same NAPA Legend that CTScott has, but I wanted to milk more time and miles out of the Wal-Mart battery (it was still passing Wal-Mart's test at the time).

As of today, I'd had the Wal-Mart cheapie for a bit over 16 1/2 months and squeezed out about 48,000 miles. After leaving Brake Check, I drove straight to the nearest NAPA store (their yellow Yaris must have been out on a delivery ). They had the NAPA in stock. I know the AutoZone closest to my house will swap out the battery for you when you buy one from them (I've seen this in progress while shopping). This NAPA store?...Um, no. They said they would charge me the core charge, and then credit it back to me when I brought in the old battery.

I decided to go to the same shop that charged me an unbelievably low amount to change my control arm bolts, etc.. I drove there and the manager said 'not here, as we're slammed here for the rest of the day, but go down the street to our quick lube place and they'll take care of you...and I'll call ahead and let them know you're coming' (they have the shop I visited, the quick lube place about a block away, and their flagship/original location about 10 or so miles away). I pulled into the driveway at the quick lube and they pointed me away from the bays (in case they got a customer while I was there). I'm glad I didn't do this myself. They had a devil of a time getting the clamp off the positive terminal (both the negative terminal and the 'strap/clamp' (that holds the battery in place) were a breeze). They only charged me $10.00. A can of spray (for the terminals) might have cost a good portion of that If I'd had to buy my own can (as opposed to the few squirts they used from the can they already had).

Reading Wee Yari's post above prompted my recall of what happened over the next 10-15 minutes. I had left an item on a chair while I was at the shop a block away, so I needed to return there. The street was so backed up, I went three blocks on side streets to get the one block back to the shop. My car died 4 times during that period. The manager said even this reaction (more extreme than with the ECM relearning the fuel trims on previous battery replacements) was not abnormal.

I headed south on I-45 (toward the NAPA store.....to give them the old battery). After a few miles, an overhead sign (for Amber Alerts and other messages) indicated that an accident ahead on I-45 (past the exit for the NAPA store) had closed the 2 center lanes (Ugh!). I decided to get off the freeway and go to the UPS store to pick up the rim (with a tire on it) that I bought from CTScott (notice found in my box last night indicated that it came yesterday). I picked up that box and decided to take a round-a-bout way to the NAPA store (quite a few miles, but I did avoid traffic re that accident ) by the time I got to the NAPA store, the idle was smooth. With the two previous cheapie replacements, the idle wasn't smooth until the next day. Original out the door cost at NAPA -- battery + state fee + core charge + tax = $137.23. When I handed them the old battery (later in the day) they credited my card back $16.24 (core charge + tax on the core charge), so the final cost was $120.99.......plus the $10.00 to the other place for the install.
^^^^^ I forgot to include that at some point during the life of the battery I just replaced I 'killed it' (dead as a doornail when I tried to start it) by leaving the stereo on . AAA revived the battery, and it later passed a test at Wal-Mart, but it never worked quite as well after that.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ I'm also very pleased with my new NAPA Legend battery.