Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
The Yaris IA????

I've been away from this forum for awhile, since I traded my 2010 Yaris 3 door for a 2015 Nissan Versa. I was mad at Toyota and having the throwout bearing go out on my clutch twice when I clearly know how to drive a stick.

OK, I'm over my Toyota hatred now. The Versa isn't all that great, and even though I've only got 11,000 miles on it, it seems like it's been one thing after another going wrong. Every week I hear a new strange noise it seems, and unless the Nissan dealer hears it, I have to wait until they can figure it out, otherwise I have to pay for a diagnostic fee, which I'm not doin'. At 9500 miles, the rear wheel bearings had to be replaced, as an example.

So today I was watching YT videos and I see a Yaris IA. I'm thinking it's really a Mazda? Made in Mexico, so that makes me leary since the Versa came from there also.

What are your opinions? Is it even available yet? It looks awesome.

But the original Yaris looks good too. Frankly I miss my Yaris, but I don't miss shifting gears so the next one would be an automatic.

Are the original Yaris' still made in Japan?
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I've been away from this forum for awhile, since I traded my 2010 Yaris 3 door for a 2015 Nissan Versa. I was mad at Toyota and having the throwout bearing go out on my clutch twice when I clearly know how to drive a stick.

OK, I'm over my Toyota hatred now. The Versa isn't all that great, and even though I've only got 11,000 miles on it, it seems like it's been one thing after another going wrong. Every week I hear a new strange noise it seems, and unless the Nissan dealer hears it, I have to wait until they can figure it out, otherwise I have to pay for a diagnostic fee, which I'm not doin'. At 9500 miles, the rear wheel bearings had to be replaced, as an example.

So today I was watching YT videos and I see a Yaris IA. I'm thinking it's really a Mazda? Made in Mexico, so that makes me leary since the Versa came from there also.

But the original Yaris looks good too. Frankly I miss my Yaris, but I don't miss shifting gears so the next one would be an automatic.

Yaris iA is available now. Yes, it's a Mazda with a Toyota badge. Mazda motor, Mazda trans, Mazda interior parts, etc. personally I don't like it. It's not really a Yaris as they have been over the years.

The original hatchback Yaris however is still current with the original 1NZ engine and standard 4 speed auto or optional 5 speed manual. Same running gear since 2007 in the US, and they are still being produced in Japan, as well as France, and maybe Mexico now. Only major differences now with the current Yaris over the older original ones is TSS, Toyota Safety Sense and a few other smaller options and details. It's still largely the same car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
DebbyM46227

Thanks. I did find the Yaris IA at the same dealer I bought my Yaris from in 2010. All they have is the IA in stock, not the original.....I can't even find an original anywhere near me.

I still think the IA looks nice, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they'd have a gray and blue interior with a red exterior. I also think the screen sticking way up on top of the dash looks ugly. I probably couldn't see over it when driving.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Thanks. I did find the Yaris IA at the same dealer I bought my Yaris from in 2010. All they have is the IA in stock, not the original.....I can't even find an original anywhere near me.

I still think the IA looks nice, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they'd have a gray and blue interior with a red exterior. I also think the screen sticking way up on top of the dash looks ugly. I probably couldn't see over it when driving.

Yea that's a Mazda thing. The new Miata has the same thing. They don't stock the regular Yaris because they don't sell well compared the the iA. Toyota is hyping the iA pretty hard these days.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
DebbyM46227

The regular Yaris sells very well around here. I've never seen in person the Yaris IA. Or maybe I did and I thought it was a Mazda or Scion. I never knew until today that Scion is no longer sold at Toyota....wow, have I been out of the loop!!!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
YarTed

Drives: 2015 Yaris 5Dr
Glad your sort of back on board, too bad about your TO bearings, odd. Something was not right in the linkages / clearances ? I own a 2015 Yaris and am really happy with it and know it will last. I have owned mostly MTM vehicles ( Toyota's )but as I commute I thought I would try the auto. It works well for me. The NCP13#model is supposedly a little quieter and better seats, you just need to get over the new grille.
Cheers
YarTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
m.flores.0928

Quote:
The regular Yaris sells very well around here. I've never seen in person the Yaris IA. Or maybe I did and I thought it was a Mazda or Scion. I never knew until today that Scion is no longer sold at Toyota....wow, have I been out of the loop!!!

Perhaps it's a regional thing then. I see A LOT of iA models around here and not that many regular Yaris hatchbacks. Also, I see a lot of iA commercials and ads around here too. Before scion went under, it was badged as a scion for the first year or two but now they stuck a Toyota badge on it and call it a Yaris, which is pretty similar to the iM too, now it's a corolla iM.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:

There was a couple original Yaris at Andy Mohr a couple weeks ago. They were using one as a kinda-big boombox for a big sales weekend! We were there looking for a Camry, but that didn't work out(ended-up finding another at O'brien on the east side- much better experience).

The 2017 Yaris all have the TSS standard. If I were in the market for another I'd get 2017 or later just to get that! You're right about no dealers having the original Yaris around here though. Those two at Andy Mohr were all I could see in the whole city- we visited several dealers looking for our Camry.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Killed 2 throwout bearings?

Sounds like driver error to me. Mine was still smooth as can be at 120k when I went to a heavier clutch to handle boost. I drive my car hard too so what the hell were you doing to that poor car lol

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post

Sounds like driver error to me. Mine was still smooth as can be at 120k when I went to a heavier clutch to handle boost. I drive my car hard too so what the hell were you doing to that poor car lol

Is there any considerable possibility of crappy parts??

Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
... So today I was watching YT videos and I see a Yaris IA. I'm thinking it's really a Mazda? Made in Mexico, so that makes me leary since the Versa came from there also.

The "Yaris" iA is not a car I would even begin to consider. Look for a Toyota Yaris HB. The 4-spd automatic is a brilliant little transmission that performs surprisingly well. While my 07 was made in Japan, my '14 is made in France.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
The "Yaris" iA is not a car I would even begin to consider. Look for a Toyota Yaris HB. The 4-spd automatic is a brilliant little transmission that performs surprisingly well. While my 07 was made in Japan, my '14 is made in France.

Interesting. My '14 was made in Japan. I wonder what the deciding factor is on where it's made.

I'm not a HUGE fan of the 4 speed auto but it's tough as nails and gets the job done. I can't ask for much more from a $16k car. I would rather the manual but I didn't have a choice in the matter, it's a used car. I'm limited to my options at the moment but eventually I want to spec out a brand new one with a manual.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #13
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
There is a problem-post thread on the Scion iA forums featuring some people experiencing transmission failure and some other serious mechanical issues with their recently-purchased iA. Mexico plant or not, I really expect Mazda to be a lot better than that, even with their 'economy class' cars.

Last edited by Kalispel; 06-26-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Hi Debby. Nice to see you here, again. Sorry about your Versa. My Yaris is an automatic, and it's been really great. I bought mine in mid December of 2010, and have had zero problems with it, thus far. Just wear and tear items, like tires, battery, etc. In terms of reliability, it's been a dream to drive. I can say with a good degree of certainty that if anything happened to my Yaris, I'd probably buy another one. In terms of the Yaris iA, since it's made by Mazda, nah. If I wanted a Mazda, I'd buy a Mazda. My only regrets with my Yaris is if I had to do it over again, I'd get a 5 door hatch instead of a 3 door hatch and I wouldn't have bought a black Yaris. Any color except black. I wish you well in whatever route you decide to take. (I think you should buy another Yaris)
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
My only regrets with my Yaris is if I had to do it over again, I'd get a 5 door hatch instead of a 3 door hatch and I wouldn't have bought a black Yaris. Any color except black.
I can relate. My previous ride was a black 3 door VW Golf. I thought that was what I wanted. But even though I rarely carry passengers the 3 doors soon became a pain. And black...what was I thinking. My Yaris has 4 doors and is gray. Live and learn

Welcome back Debby.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
NYC-SE, another thing we have in common---I also had a VW Golf. I came to Toyota from VW. I can honestly say my VW Golf was the most unreliable car I've ever owned. The fun thing about VW is that it's hard to find someone to work on them and the parts are quite expensive. Fun stuff when my VW was literally in the shop every two months. Never again. The bad thing about my Yaris, in comparison to my VW, is that I'm stuck with my 3 door black Yaris because I have a distinct feeling this thing is going to have a long life. Really, no complaints, though. I'm thrilled with the reliability, thus far.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
NYC-SE, another thing we have in common---I also had a VW Golf. I came to Toyota from VW. I can honestly say my VW Golf was the most unreliable car I've ever owned. The fun thing about VW is that it's hard to find someone to work on them and the parts are quite expensive. Fun stuff when my VW was literally in the shop every two months. Never again. The bad thing about my Yaris, in comparison to my VW, is that I'm stuck with my 3 door black Yaris because I have a distinct feeling this thing is going to have a long life. Really, no complaints, though. I'm thrilled with the reliability, thus far.
Yep VW drove me to Toyota too. My VW Golf was the most unreliable car I've ever owned as well. I learned my lesson, plan on keeping my Yaris until the wheels fall off.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #18
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post

It wasn't me. Maybe I drove it too gently. I know how to drive a manual, I've been driving one since I was a teen - 30 years.

It's the first time I EVER had any clutch or transmission problems in ANY of my cars.

So...NO....not driver error.