Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #19
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Hi Debby. Nice to see you here, again. Sorry about your Versa. My Yaris is an automatic, and it's been really great. I bought mine in mid December of 2010, and have had zero problems with it, thus far. Just wear and tear items, like tires, battery, etc. In terms of reliability, it's been a dream to drive. I can say with a good degree of certainty that if anything happened to my Yaris, I'd probably buy another one. In terms of the Yaris iA, since it's made by Mazda, nah. If I wanted a Mazda, I'd buy a Mazda. My only regrets with my Yaris is if I had to do it over again, I'd get a 5 door hatch instead of a 3 door hatch and I wouldn't have bought a black Yaris. Any color except black. I wish you well in whatever route you decide to take. (I think you should buy another Yaris)

Hi, bentjazz! I bought my 2010 Yaris in June of 2010....I kind of wish it'd been an automatic, I would more than likely still be driving it. I also will be looking at the 5 door hatch.

Years ago I drove a Capri, it was black with gold trim and didn't come with A/C. Talk about HOT in the summer.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #20
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
There was a couple original Yaris at Andy Mohr a couple weeks ago. They were using one as a kinda-big boombox for a big sales weekend! We were there looking for a Camry, but that didn't work out(ended-up finding another at O'brien on the east side- much better experience).

The 2017 Yaris all have the TSS standard. If I were in the market for another I'd get 2017 or later just to get that! You're right about no dealers having the original Yaris around here though. Those two at Andy Mohr were all I could see in the whole city- we visited several dealers looking for our Camry.
I see 3 originals at Andy Mohr online. All French-made. I'm off Thursday, so I may go check them out...and also stop by Beck's which is very close to home and check out the iA also.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #21
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Yaris iA is available now. Yes, it's a Mazda with a Toyota badge. Mazda motor, Mazda trans, Mazda interior parts, etc. personally I don't like it. It's not really a Yaris as they have been over the years.

The original hatchback Yaris however is still current with the original 1NZ engine and standard 4 speed auto or optional 5 speed manual. Same running gear since 2007 in the US, and they are still being produced in Japan, as well as France, and maybe Mexico now. Only major differences now with the current Yaris over the older original ones is TSS, Toyota Safety Sense and a few other smaller options and details. It's still largely the same car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure who would by the iA....get the actual Mazda if that's what you're going for. - (even though I think the Toyota version actually looks better than the current 3). Outside of the Subaru-Toyota/Scion collaboration with the BRZ and FRS, I typically can't stand re-badged models. It's what GM used to do (albeit with great success, so go figure).
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
Not sure who would by the iA....get the actual Mazda if that's what you're going for. - (even though I think the Toyota version actually looks better than the current 3). Outside of the Subaru-Toyota/Scion collaboration with the BRZ and FRS, I typically can't stand re-badged models. It's what GM used to do (albeit with great success, so go figure).

GM needed the rebadging with Toyota back in the 90s because GM couldn't compete very well in the compact car market. Their compact models at the time were awful or nonexistent.

I don't even understand why the iA even exists. Supposedly it's because Mazda didn't have a subcompact sedan model to offer. Ok, that's fine, but it makes more sense for Toyota to bring back the Yaris sedan with a Mazda badge and sell it there versus the other way around. Toyota doesn't need help with subcompacts. That's literally what they do best. Why go to Mazda for the running gear and slap a Mazda badge on it? Literally makes zero sense.

m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #23
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
GM needed the rebadging with Toyota back in the 90s because GM couldn't compete very well in the compact car market. Their compact models at the time were awful or nonexistent.

I don't even understand why the iA even exists. Supposedly it's because Mazda didn't have a subcompact sedan model to offer. Ok, that's fine, but it makes more sense for Toyota to bring back the Yaris sedan with a Mazda badge and sell it there versus the other way around. Toyota doesn't need help with subcompacts. That's literally what they do best. Why go to Mazda for the running gear and slap a Mazda badge on it? Literally makes zero sense.

Forgot about the Nova! The uncool Chevy economy sub-compact version of the Corolla that is

I hope the Yaris doesn't grow as the generations continue, i.e. mini cooper (and pretty much all small cars).
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:28 AM   #24
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I test drove a 2016 Yaris Premium Sedan yesterday. They seem to be quite rare up here in western Canada. In fact, to even get one you'd pretty much have to have one delivered from Quebec. (Which will cost you extra.)
I can understand why they they don't market it as much though. The price difference between the premium Sedan and a mid-range Corolla isn't all that big.

Regardless, I was quite impressed with the car overall. Good build quality and features for the price. However, it seems to match with the hatchback in the lack of rear dome light and arm rest.

The car practically screams Mazda with its infotainment system and air vents. In fact, under the hood, you can still spot Mazda tags on the wiring harnesses.

It hadled curves very well, with less body roll than a stock, Toyota built Yaris I feel. Steering felt very responsive.

Acceleration is a bit tame when pulling off from a stop light, but things tend to come alive quick after about 3000 RPM. SPORT mode tends to improve things a bit on that end, but I was really impressed by how free-reving that little engine was. It feels like it comes up to speed and revs far quicker than my '09 1NZ, and I have a full set of lightweight pulleys installed. Incredible how the power output of both units is almost identical.

Then again...is that any wonder, considering that the engine and transmission are the same units from a european spec Mazda 3 and MX-5?

Like i said before, overall i am impressed by the car. If you haven't, i recommend you go and take one out for a test drive. It was a fun drive for me.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #25
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Mind of Toyota, Mazda GLC "Great Little Car"

Why create a new brand (Scion)? Because GM created Saturn? (Worked out real well in both cases.)
Mind of Toyota.
Mazda quality? In some ways, my favorite of all small 2-door hatches was a 79 Mazda GLC, which had a nicely located solid rear axle propelling the car. Like an MGBGT, maybe, w/ great Japanese quality? (only imported 78-80...maybe similar in size/type to that-era Chevy Chevette and Toyota Starlet...w/ a roomy 5-door wagon.) Low seats, w/ a 4-speed manual lever coming right out of the top of the transmission? (The optional 5-speed would eventually fail the 5th gear...in those days not uncommon for it to be sort of a retrofit squeezed into a small cavity w/ the reverse gear parts.)
really...Mazda advertising said GLC meant "Great Little Car."

Last edited by dogsridewith; 06-30-2017 at 07:40 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #26
42ezra

Drives: 2010 2dr MT Liftback
sorry about your clutch problems. Was your vehicle made in Japan. I think it makes a big difference. 2015 Yaris I bought in US was made in France. I traded for a 2010 made in Japan. No better car for me than Yaris 2008-2010.
42ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ezra View Post
sorry about your clutch problems. Was your vehicle made in Japan. I think it makes a big difference. 2015 Yaris I bought in US was made in France. I traded for a 2010 made in Japan. No better car for me than Yaris 2008-2010.
Yes, my 2010 Yaris was from Japan. It's funny that the original throw-out bearing lasted slightly over 5 years. When it went out, the Toyota dealer replaced it....said they had to replace entire clutch assembly and it was over $900.00. It came with a 1 year warranty....and 2 weeks after the warranty expired, I started hearing the same noise...I knew what it was, so I traded it in on the Versa.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #28
DebbyM46227

I decided on the IA in Pulse Red. I bought it July 4th. I love it so far, but it's only got 67 miles on the odometer :)
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Congrats Debby!
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #30
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Congrats Debby!
Thank you, NYC-SE~!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #31
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Looks great. Nothing like a brand new car! Congrats and good luck with your new ride.

Time to update your user profile.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #32
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Nice! Congrats and enjoy. Don't be a stranger!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #33
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Congrats! Hope that you enjoy the car! I'm looking forward to seeing what Toyota does for the iA & iM on the first refresh cycle (2019?). The iA really really really needs some modern-looking headlights (projector or LED), along with LED DRL to save that front grill/bumper design. Fog-lights should also be standard (on both iA & iM), or at least a dealer-installed option in the USA.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #34
DebbyM46227

ITA, I'd love to have LED lights. At first I hated the front end, but it kinda grows on you. :) I'm really loving the touch-screen and it doesn't get into my line of sight when driving like I thought it would.

What amazes me is how it feels to "slink" down into the driver's seat. It almost feels like my old Honda CRX, like I'm sitting on the ground.

The seats are way more comfortable than my 2010 Yaris seats were.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #35
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Hey, congrats Debby! I hope your Yaris iA serves you well for many years to come.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #36
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
As well, I had a 1999.5 VW Jetta. It was a cute car, but at about 50K miles, it attempted to commit suicide on a regular basis. The last straw was when the electrical wiring began to disintegrate. Sometimes the turn signals would work, sometimes they took a vacation. Sometimes the rear windows would work, sometimes they were on strike. We do not want to discuss the sun roof and its "not in the mood" when it was raining and open to the elements. Have you ever had a window make a snap/click and fall into the door with a thunking-sound, never to return? Especially on the same day the sun roof was in a mood with a literal monsoon outside. I really loved that car, but it was toxic. And then I traded it for my 2012 Yaris. ;-)

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote