Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #55
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Thanks wolfwings for adding me to the list. As stated by others, i do not want to step on anyones toes here. But if there are going to be 2 production manifolds, then i'd like to see the prototype graphs to compare the two.
And then make a decision as to which i like better.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #56
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
To answer the horsepower and torque question, the two are matehmatically related (HP=TqxRPM/5252). Technically speaking, torque is force or work and horsepower is that work or force applied over time. Looking at any power graph from any engine ranging from your basic lawnmower to a 19,000-rpm F1motor, hp and tq output will always be equal at 5252 rpm. For any hp value-there is a correspending torque value. Torque values will always be higher than hp values below 5252 rpm (and vice versa). Hp does not do one thing and torque another since for any given amount of one you have a corresponding amount of the other. What most fancy quotes are trying to get across about HP & TQ is that low-speed torque helps accelerate the car and high-rpm horsepower creates higher top speeds. What really accelerates the vehicle is average power production over the engine speed used for acceleration-whether you illustrate that with HP or TQ values is immaterial. As posted on the other thread, I will be producing the high-hp version first and then if demand warrants, the mid-range version.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #57
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #58
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
lol its hard to wrap your head around. Just think of it as that sinking feeling you get in your car when you floor it at around 4k rpm or where ever it hits its peak tq. Thats where you will feel the tq the most.

Also look at a water wheel. Its does not spin really fast but it generates a hell of alot of tq
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #59
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
well i hate to say it but due to lack of interest i am signing up for the high end list. i dont want to miss my chance to get a manifold.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #60
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
No worries, and like Richard said if you just want max performance the top-end one is honestly better. Richard knows what he's talking about, I'm in effect requesting a custom tune of this intake optimized for 2nd-gear 20mph-45mph usage, while still being usable up to 55mph before it fizzles out. I.E. Around 2000rpm-4500rpm, and still at 80-90% of stock up to 5500rpm, it can fall on it's face sharply at that point and I'd be pleased as peach since it'd suit my desires flawlessly then, which is parking-lot autocross.

In any case, nipped ya' off the list as requested. Good luck, Mike. :-)