Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #937
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I am so jelly
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #938
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I am so jelly
I want to leave work NOW and install this.

So if anyone is wondering, it does not look like the 9.5 Jun cams is a direct bolt-in, some machine work is needed.

Relief cuts for the cam:

Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #939
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Could you through on just the clutch assembly with the bolts, if possible. Curious to see how much that heavy PP is.
Stock pressure plate with hardware is 9lbs - the bolts made up about 3oz of that.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #940
ilikerice

cutting weight where ever you can..

is this where you grinded? Is it just this cam lobe or others also?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (80.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #941
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
cutting weight where ever you can..

is this where you grinded? Is it just this cam lobe or others also?
It is the area you circled, and to the left of it, he actually took it all the way down to the bucket area. From what I can tell the head got this treatment on both sides of the bucket, at every cam lobe.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #942
ilikerice

oh wow.. I see that now..

Hey another question I got for you.

I was looking at a picture of your cabin in the attached pic below,
I noticed the Sparco seat is pretty low to the floor and the steering wheel is almost at neck level. I am sure your very comfortable with this setup from the video's I have seen at events. Is there a visibility issue looking over the dash? I mean your eye level has to be even with the dash if not just a bit above..

OR, are you just really tall? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toyota_sema-yaris-gt-s-club-racer_fint_ns_110310_717.jpg (109.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #943
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
oh wow.. I see that now..

Hey another question I got for you.

I was looking at a picture of your cabin in the attached pic below,
I noticed the Sparco seat is pretty low to the floor and the steering wheel is almost at neck level. I am sure your very comfortable with this setup from the video's I have seen at events. Is there a visibility issue looking over the dash? I mean your eye level has to be even with the dash if not just a bit above..

OR, are you just really tall? lol
The setup has changes since that pic was done for SEMA 2010... The seat and wheel are both lower and further back now, and I now have a halo seat. We no longer have to fit a bunch of guest drivers so the seat sliders were removed, anyone who wants to drive the car has to suck it up and sit where I like.

The seat is 1" lower and back about an 1". The stock steering column was removed and a custom unit that moved the wheel down and back is in there, although the wheel is still in basically the same location in relation to where I sit.

Is there a visibility issue? Depends on your point of view. Many of the open cars I have to race against can not be seen if we are bumper to bumper, other than the roll hoop and the drivers helmet. But it is certainly not an issue. At speed you are looking so far down track whats immediately in front of you is not really an issue.

I am 5'9", I think my head just clears the top of the seat. You can see from this shot, where the camera is just below eye level, it is not bad at all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4NJaZ3CHo

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 01-19-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #944
ilikerice

Interesting.. thanks. I was curious. I am 5'10/11 depending who I stand next to. I was skeptical about buying a carbon fiber seat like the one you have in the picture. Looking over the dash was my issue being that I autocross. I will look at that video when I get home.. work doesnt permit youtube
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #945
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Interesting.. thanks. I was curious. I am 5'10/11 depending who I stand next to. I was skeptical about buying a carbon fiber seat like the one you have in the picture. Looking over the dash was my issue being that I autocross. I will look at that video when I get home.. work doesnt permit youtube
In an autocross car I sit much closer to the wheel and up higher, you need to see the cones.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #946
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I am 5'10/11 depending who I stand next to.
I like how that is a relative thing.

thanks for discussing this guys. I used a few washers to lower my steering wheel a bit. Any more and my left knee would hit it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #947
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
I'm 5'11" myself and have alway mounted my seats as low as possible for road racing, it does make it difficult to auto-x, but you learn to adapt. Here are a few pics of the way I mounted the seat in my Celica, using brackets I made myself.

Oh and as you can see, I still have the front portion of the cage to add, installed just the rollbar for my own peace of mind for HPDE events.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5

Last edited by racerb; 01-20-2012 at 08:59 AM.
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #948
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Already received my SSK I bought off you Jason - thanks so much! Didn't even know it was possible to ship that fast..
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #949
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I like how that is a relative thing.

thanks for discussing this guys. I used a few washers to lower my steering wheel a bit. Any more and my left knee would hit it.
That is a good idea.. you talking about those bolts circled in the diagram? did you have to get longer bolts, or was there enough to thread left?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCASWVOMH.jpg (11.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #950
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
That is a good idea.. you talking about those bolts circled in the diagram? did you have to get longer bolts, or was there enough to thread left?
I did the same thing with mine before I went to a custom setup, as I recall there was enough thread there to drop it a 1/2".
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #951
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
I did the same thing with mine before I went to a custom setup, as I recall there was enough thread there to drop it a 1/2".
if you dont mind me asking, what needed to be done to that to make it custom fit for you?

Also, is it custom in the fact that it was fabricated or parts were exchanged with other oem parts from other makes/models?

again if I am stepping out of the bounds on your secrets I totally understand
Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #952
racerb

Quote:
if you dont mind me asking, what needed to be done to that to make it custom fit for you?

Also, is it custom in the fact that it was fabricated or parts were exchanged with other oem parts from other makes/models?

again if I am stepping out of the bounds on your secrets I totally understand
Not sure of Jason's set-up, but I'm using a straight section of what is called double D steering shaft, cut to proper length with the quick release center section welded on. In my case the original column both tilted and telescoped, so I'm going back to the last flex joint before it turns down toward the firewall base. Where the original large centering bearing also held the telescoping handle, I've come out about 2" and added a 3/4" male hiem joint which hold the steering shaft and lines it up more with my seating possition in the car. When I installed my seat, I moved it to the right as far as the center tunnel would allow, making the steering wheel slightly too far to the left.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #953
ilikerice

interesting..

I dont mean to hijack your thread Jason.

I think I understand what your saying racerb, but could you PM me a picture of that setup. I am curious. Also that moving the seat further to the shifter is a good idea too. It would make shifting a bit more comfortable
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #954
racerb

Quote:
interesting..

I dont mean to hijack your thread Jason.

I think I understand what your saying racerb, but could you PM me a picture of that setup. I am curious. Also that moving the seat further to the shifter is a good idea too. It would make shifting a bit more comfortable
Sorry for continueing the hijack, but couldn't find any pictures of my steering column set-up. So here is a very simular set-up to mine on an MG, same basic deal hung verticle where mine hangs horizontal.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=180

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5