Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
awebb005

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris LE
License Plate question

Hello, Im new to the Yaris World forum and the new owner of a slightly used 2013 Toyota Yaris LE 4 door hatch. I love my new little Yaris (Its so cute , haha I know Im being girly about this) but because it is slightly used it has a bit of damage on the front where a license plate use to be. I want to get a new license plate to cover the small damage but I have no clue how they put it there to begin with. I guess my question is how do you mount a front license plate to a 2013 Toyota Yaris? If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

PS: sorry if this is in the wrong place. I looked all over the forum to fined a similar question but found no luck, I figured this would be the best place to ask my question.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Welcome to the forums :)

2 screws, that's it.
A 1/4 x 3/4 screw is most commonly used.

Unless a license plate was never installed in the front. We need both front and back in Ontario.
If so, just ask the people where you purchased it from to drill the holes for you.
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
awebb005

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
Welcome to the forums :)

2 screws, that's it.
A 1/4 x 3/4 screw is most commonly used.

Unless a license plate was never installed in the front. We need both front and back in Ontario.
If so, just ask the people where you purchased it from to drill the holes for you.
Yes that's what my husband said to do but I wasn't 100% sure tho lol. The screw holes look like they were made by someone pushing the screw threw the back of the front bumper. The previous owner pretty much ruined the front bumper, the screw holes bulge out not in and the paint is cracked real bad! I just don't get how they did this because there really is no way to access the back of the front bumper easily. I'm just scared that if I do just screw in the screws (with out a nut) will it still be ok and not cause my license plate to fall off a few weeks down the road.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
I'm not sure who drills the holes for the license plate. Because some countries and states only require the back license plate, I assume it may be done at the dealership.

Give the screws a try. Careful not to tighten them too much as it can bend the license plate.
Also, depending on where the visible damage is, you could purchase a "screwless license place holder" to cover the area. Just an Idea.
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
no one drills the holes. That would be insane. Self tapping screws and a hand screw driver is all dealerships use.

I have no idea why the holes would poke out. That sounds like someone yanked on the plate without unscrewing it first, or maybe the plate was on for so long it froze in place and the screws were totally seized.

That is something you should go back to where you bought the car and complain.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
That 3M double sided tape with the green and white plaid peel off backing, is what's holding mine on the front. No need to drill more holes or buy a new bracket.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote