Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
thekatiel

Drives: 2010 toyota yaris
Rounded bolt replacing belt

Need some assistance.

Thought I could manage to replace my serpentine belt on my own but ended up rounding off the 12mm bolt. I went to Lowe's to see if I could get a replacement bolt for when I did get the rounded bolt off but they said I would need to know the size of the rest of the bolt. All I knew was that I used a 12mm wrench (and a non hexagon socket thing).

Does anyone know the exact size of the bolt? And the easiest way to get off the rounded bolt?

thekatiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
First off I believe you rounded off a NUT not a BOLT. I might be wrong.

Can you check that?

Thanks!

To remove a rounded nut or bolt you need a special wrench or socket made by Snap On. These tools drive on the flat of the nut or bolt not the corners as ordinary tools do.

Perhaps you can borrow one from a local shop in 12mm.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
First off I believe you rounded off a NUT not a BOLT. I might be wrong.

Can you check that?

Thanks!

To remove a rounded nut or bolt you need a special wrench or socket made by Snap On. These tools drive on the flat of the nut or bolt not the corners as ordinary tools do.

Perhaps you can borrow one from a local shop in 12mm.
Went out and looked at my own engine and yes, its a bolt.

Sorry.

It looks to me like a vicegrip will fit on the BOLT to remove it.

Do you have one?

Once you remove the bolt bring it to the hardware store and find a replacement.

But if it was mine I would just tighten the original bolt with the vicegrip.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
You can buy the bolt OEM from the dealers, brand spanking new. Yeah, you're without the right tool and experience it is very easy to round those bolts. But the rule is and always use this as a guide. Use an extension on your ratchet ( a pipe is great for this job) and always turn it anti clock wise. I believe the bolt is 12mm and the bottom a 14 mm or 15 mm not sure.

Any wayz to get it off. Try another 12 mm socket but this time use these tough rattle gun sockets ( the black ones below). Because the strength and quality of your socket and ratchet can also cause it to round if they are of poor quality set. Get those high grade set and you will break any nut first time lol. Maybe nut! lol.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Which bolt? On the alternator adjustment? Anyways, get a bolt extractor like the Irwin Bolt Grip set, used it just once for one of the seat mount bolts, quick and easy. Haven't had to use it since but kept it just in case.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Put something on the ground under the area of the bolt, spray it with PB Blaster, then go have a sandwich.

After the sandwich, go spray it again. Go watch a football game or whatever may interest you, I myself, I did some fall yard work today.

Spray it one more time and leave it overnight. Then I would employ any of the above.

Good luck.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway, wear gloves whenever monkeying around with bolts, nuts etc. in tight spaces
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
thekatiel

Drives: 2010 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Went out and looked at my own engine and yes, its a bolt.

Sorry.

It looks to me like a vicegrip will fit on the BOLT to remove it.

Do you have one?

Once you remove the bolt bring it to the hardware store and find a replacement.

But if it was mine I would just tighten the original bolt with the vicegrip.

Good luck!
yea the vice grip nothing. Had my guy roommate have a go at it with no luck. It's a dang tight bolt. The bottom 14mm bolt is super tight as well but not rounded.
thekatiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
bronsin

Yes the ones on an ECHO I bought for my son I could not get loose. We took it to a garage and told them just loosen it. They did and then we could tighten the belt.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
seriously if it's rounded, just get a bolt extractor, you torque in the loosening direction obviously counter clockwise, and the teeth bite into the rounded bolt and continue to do so to grip it while you loosen.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Try using a 6 point socket on that rounded bolt or specialty grip socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesVB6UH2NJ.jpg (5.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg images8V2TM443.jpg (10.2 KB, 66 views)
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekatiel View Post
Need some assistance.

Thought I could manage to replace my serpentine belt on my own but ended up rounding off the 12mm bolt. I went to Lowe's to see if I could get a replacement bolt for when I did get the rounded bolt off but they said I would need to know the size of the rest of the bolt. All I knew was that I used a 12mm wrench (and a non hexagon socket thing).

Does anyone know the exact size of the bolt? And the easiest way to get off the rounded bolt?

Bolt sizes on Toyota. They use 10, 12, 14, 17(i think), 19mm. With those 5 sizes, you can take a Toyota apart. I was a tool dealer for 12 years and called on several Toyota dealerships, and could never sell a whole set of sockets or wrenches to any tech that worked there. LOL.

As for the alternator adjustment bolt, it's a 12mm. For whatever reason, Toyota used a 8.8 grade bolt, which is very soft. I know this because I snapped mine off in the ear of the alternator, couldn't get it out, and finally had to buy an alternator, over a 12 cent bolt.

If it's rounded, the best thing to use to get it out is what they call a turbo or twist socket. It will destroy the bolt head getting the bolt out, but if it's rounded off anyway, who cares, just replace it.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://store.snapon.com/Twist-Shallo...m-P641935.aspx

You use to only be able to find them on the tool trucks, but now you can pretty much find them anywhere, IE parts stores, Lowes, Ace hardware etc.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Just find a local body shop and let them take it off. It will take them 10 seconds and the dude will be laughing at you so much he won't charge you anything. totally worth it.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Just find a local body shop and let them take it off. It will take them 10 seconds and the dude will be laughing at you so much he won't charge you anything. totally worth it.

I have done that ....except it was a busted off spark plug along the fire wall. The ride there was a little rough though...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Try using a 6 point socket on that rounded bolt or specialty grip socket.
Beautiful! +1!