Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2016, 03:19 AM   #1
ECOyaris

Drives: Wanting a Yaris
Post 2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid... Thoughts

Hey guys,

It is my sisters birthday coming up soon and she is looking into getting her first car (watch out on the roads) she has been going through just about every model you could think of but i think she has an eye on the 2016 Yaris. I know it is a very new car so there won't be much experience here with the vehicle its self but there must be a few owners out there that can lend a hand. Looking at some used used Toyota's for sale that are about 1 year old and the price difference between the brand new one and the year old Yaris is massive! But it doesn't have everything my sister want's or should i say there is no changing her mind from the 2016 hybrid.

Thats why i am here to make sure she is making a good decisions on her first ever car. I know the half half hybrid engine is great for the economy etc but is it great for a beginner driver? I would prefer if it was not so fast and very safe to be honest.

Any information/advice you can help me out with would be great!!

Example image below

Thanks Toyota lovers

Last edited by ECOyaris; 09-20-2016 at 12:41 AM. Reason: More information
ECOyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Your sis is gonna be disappointed, as you can't get a Yaris Hybrid in the U.S. That's what the Prius C is basically.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
ECOyaris

There are forum of Importation with the Toyota branch... i believe?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yaris Good.

Hybrid anything Bad.

Not cost effective. Hybrid good for wealthy people. Not for the rest of us.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOyaris View Post
There are forum of Importation with the Toyota branch... i believe?
Importing any car newer than 25 years old into the US is simply not feasible. If she wants a Yaris hybrid, there's the Prius C.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
ECOyaris

The Prius isn't a bad idea i will have to have a think. And you are right it is expensive to keep a hybrid running, but hey think of the ECO friendly bit
Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
The local Toyota dealer where I recently bought my used Prius plugin, had several new Prius C's/hybrid Yari's. Fairly cheap, 21 K. I eyeballed them as I walked by, they looked pretty cool and I'm sure are a safe ride and very user friendly.

A little research shows the Prius to be extremely dependable and pretty hassle free, I at least expect mine to be like any other of the several Toyota's I've owned.

Hey bronsin, I never thought I'd be referred to as "wealthy", thanks I guess? Getting a used one worked for me, couldn't afford it but made it happen anyway. I do fully agree however, for a max bang for the buck, a stock Yaris is impossible to beat, for sure. Being able to charge mine for free and my commute to work within the EV's range tipped the scales for me.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
A little research shows the Prius to be extremely dependable and pretty hassle free, I at least expect mine to be like any other of the several Toyota's I've owned.
I'd say so. I've seen one of those this morning:

Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Hey bronsin, I never thought I'd be referred to as "wealthy", thanks I guess? .
I was born in Brooklyn but grew in a rural farming community in upstate NY.

People didnt have a lot of money there and if someone wanted to insult someone else the absolute worth thing they could do is say they had money!

Those were fightin' words! And really if a person HAD money they NEVER did ANYTHING to indicate it.

Now...I didnt say you had money...and neither did you!

Bottom line if you buy a hybrid you will probably NEVER recoup the extra $$$$ you spent over a Yaris which is otherwise very similiar. Especially at todays prices!

I like getting MPG and I would LIKE to own a Prius but I dont consider But imyself wealthy enough to justify the expense. If you want to reduce your carbon footprint or just think a Prius would be cool those are good reasons to own one.

But bottom line...no...they arent smart unless gas goes to like $10 a gallon.

THEN they would be VERY smart!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
In respect to carbon footprint, as others have pointed out, I'm not certain the Prius is actually doing the world any favors. Given what it takes to get the material used in producing the car, there's an argument to be made that it's not the savior most people make it out to be.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I got 94 mpg on today's trip to work, 45 coming back at 70 mph with the air con on the interstate, then pulling the hill. I don't agonize over my carbon feet, I just enjoy things that are super efficient. Around here most guys I know drive to work by themselves in their 1 ton 4x4 pickups, that'd drive me crazy!

I just loaded 4 280 watt solar panels in the back, they fit, 39" by 60", for delivery to a customer. I will, already am, use the extra room it has over that gas hog Yaris. Ha ha, what other car for less then 20K could derisively refer to the Yaris as a gas hog!! I had a better then normal year this year on the crane, and needed to spend some money, thus the new "company car", that's how I'm justifying the purchase, previously my most expensive car ever (at 67 yrs) was the 8K Yaris, but hell I'm a rich guy now, ha! And, you bet your ass I'm hoping the price of gas goes up, that would be SWEET!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
...I will, already am, use the extra room it has over that gas hog Yaris. Ha ha, what other car for less then 20K could derisively refer to the Yaris as a gas hog!! I had a better then normal year this year on the crane, and needed to spend some money, thus the new "company car", that's how I'm justifying the purchase, previously my most expensive car ever (at 67 yrs) was the 8K Yaris, but hell I'm a rich guy now, ha! And, you bet your ass I'm hoping the price of gas goes up, that would be SWEET!
Gas hog - that's great

Yeah, I agree it makes a lot of sense for your situation. I was just speaking in general terms regarding the carbon footprint point that a lot of people use as justification. I realize that isn't your primary motivator.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #13
ECOyaris

as i have been doing some research the Prius is becoming more and more of a good idea! but the ECO side of the car doesn't last so long but i suppose every little helps and all that. As me and my sister have taken your comments into great consideration we have started looking up some Toyota Prius on http://www.for-sale.com/ and there are some real nice ones but i need your opinion's!!!

Thanks guys
Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
funky2nite

Drives: 2013 Hybrid 1.5L T4
Reading the three yr old comments, after owning a yariahybrid for the past two years. how horribly miainformed you all were. Aren't all electric and hybrids more costly than full combustion engine ones..but since then, tell me of any car make that gives true 60mpg AVERAGE readings.. aren't those real savings on EVERY fill-up? Batteries might be questionable, ofc they are, and im still yet to find out for myaelf as it's too early to tell..with some research it seems there's still a handful of first gen 20yr old priuses running 20yr ols tech batteries..so there's some hope. But IMHO I will not look back at fully combustion engine ones, next car as of yet will surely be a hybrid, maybe a larger one though
funky2nite is offline   Reply With Quote