Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
ZPI exhaust installed!! (pics)

It came early as it wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow. Installation was a bit of a bitch as the hangers didn't let it hang correctly and had to be finagled around. Is that normal to have to bend the muffler hangers a bit to make it fit right? Also longer bolts had to be purchased as the stock ones were not only to short, but the nuts for them are tack welded onto the old muffler flange.

Overall fit and finish are O.K. Why? Well, in addition to the hangers not fitting correct, the welds are a little sloppy; their not so bad, and as long as they don’t rust, they do seem very durable.

So installation was a PITA, but, the looks and sound of this system are where it steps it up a notch. It is not huge as indicated by the pictures with the soda can, and it sounds awesome. I don’t have the means to record a sound clip, but, trust me on this, it has a nice deep tone just like ZPI racing said it would, and it’s not to loud either.

As far as looks, I hate those coconut launchers the ricers like to stick under their cars, but that’s not what this is. Just look at the pictures; it’s just the right size, fits up nice and tight with just the right clearance, and sticks out just the perfect amount. I recommend it as long as you have the ability to make it fit correctly.

Size-

Here a comparison to the origional-

I purchased two 7/16 3.5 inch grade 5 bolts, 4 washers, and 4 nuts, and used the stock springs. The extra length is needed as the new flange is much deeper than the origional. The extra nuts are so they never vibrate loose.

Heres my clearance issue. It was touching the spring bucket. This is as much clearance as I could get.

And here it is finished.

Hope these help you decide if this is the exhaust for you.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Hummmmmm... still a bit too big looking for my tastes.

Sucks you needed to make so many adjustments to a brand new system. I would be asking for a kick back for sure.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Agree, a bit too big. But I bet that would look great mounted on a JDM rear bumper.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Im getting an idea....... how much was the total, with shipping on this piece again?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Sucks you needed to make so many adjustments to a brand new system. I would be asking for a kick back for sure.
Yeah, I tried to be positive when I did the write-up, but I admit I was pissed off when it didn't fit. I considered sending it back. But, after waiting so long for it, I really wanted it to work. Maybe they should give me a free lightened pully for my troubles.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Im getting an idea....... how much was the total, with shipping on this piece again?
$213 with shipping.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Peter, do you have anymore full pictures of your car? Im liking what I can see, very much.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I have said it before I will say it again...

01) Mini Exhaust
02) Boxster Exhaust

Center Exhaust, Duel Outlet! I will not buy an Exhaust system until I see this!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini_s_exhaust.jpg (7.8 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg sportabgas_foto.jpg (12.6 KB, 445 views)
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
ehhh I don't like it. The canister style mufflers on these cars just don't do it for me. To each his own though.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Peter, do you have anymore full pictures of your car? Im liking what I can see, very much.
I just took some today and updated my garage. Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
I have said it before I will say it again...

01) Mini Exhaust
02) Boxster Exhaust

Center Exhaust, Duel Outlet! I will not buy an Exhaust system until I see this!

I agree with you that it would look super sweet. It must be done with the correct bumper however. Hanging down by all by itself would not look nearly so cool.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
petersredyaris......im with you, if mine takes that much modification to fit, i may be trying to get a little back from them or like you said a pulley shipped my way....

i think maybe if you notched a half circle and brought it up a little into the bumper it may look a little nicer.....

a very crappy paint of what i mean.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f692297062.jpg (33.8 KB, 436 views)
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

right away, i think they need to shorten the piping behind the muffler at least 3 inches.

The top of the very end of the tip, should be just about even with bumper... IMO.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
07typeS

and i also have a question about that picture that shows the old pipe coupling to the new one......maybe its me but it doesnt look like a good fit, like its not sitting flush....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
07typeS

Quote:
right away, i think they need to shorten the piping behind the muffler at least 3 inches.

The top of the very end of the tip, shoul be just about even with bumper... IMO.
look at the side view thiough..its pretty close to almost flush with the back bumper, his shot isnt completely sideways either.....
Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
07typeS

Quote:

The top of the very end of the tip, shoul be just about even with bumper... IMO.
look at the side view thiough..its pretty close to almost flush with the back bumper, his shot isnt completely sideways either.....

but i think it could be trimmed a little and i might......
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #17
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

IMO it sticks out too far, and "trimming" wouldnt solve anything.

If you shorten the piping, you will need to move the rubber mounting points the same amout. If you have fab skills and know how to weld, its a 15minute job. Thats why Im considering purchasing this system, and making it fit how I want it.

SOUND CLIPS NEEDED!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
PetersRedYaris

Look at the pictures in my garage; it doesn't stick out as far as my install pictures make it appear to. IMO the exhaust needs to be flush with outermost part of the bumper, which it is, so you don't get that black exhaust soot buildup on the nice painted bumper surface.