Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
drmitch

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 DR Hatch
Cool Help! Buying tomorrow!

Hey everybody

I've been a Miata nut for the last 7 years but will become a Yaris nut tomorrow. Al Gore, Live Earth, Inconvenient Truth, etc. have talked me into bettering my mpg and decreasing my CO2 footprint. I've got two hatchback Yarii on deck. One is a Bayou Blue with power package, 5 spd for $12,275. The other is a Red 5 spd with power package, aluminum pedals, sport shift knob, cargo net and arm rest for $12,450...it was a special order that somebody backed out of. I'm having a heck of a time deciding...I'm a young 46 and have been a sports car guy for the last 7 years, so the red and the goodies appeal to me. On the other hand, maybe I should "grow up" and go with the more convervative blue and maybe, should I ever sell the car, it'd be an easier sale in that color? I was also considering an auto trans as I have an hour stop and go commute every night going home but...I'm afraid it might be TOO much of a departure from the fun of the Miatas. Any input? Thanks!
drmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Greetings from a fellow Miata nut!

If I had to choose between the two cars I'd get the red one, even though that's not my favorite car color. I wouldn't care either way about pedals and shift knob, but a cargo net is pretty handy, and I often wish I had arm rest.

As for manual vs. auto, I have never owned an AT, dont think I could bring myself to do it, but then my 40-minute commute is 90% highway.

Good luck, don't let the dealer give you hard time!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Greetings from a fellow Miata nut!

If I had to choose between the two cars I'd get the red one, even though that's not my favorite car color. I wouldn't care either way about pedals and shift knob, but a cargo net is pretty handy, and I often wish I had arm rest.

As for manual vs. auto, I have never owned an AT, dont think I could bring myself to do it, but then my 40-minute commute is 90% highway.

Good luck, don't let the dealer give you hard time!
I'll give you a killer deal on my arm rest when my new one arrives if you want. I have the stock cloth toyota kind. Don't smoke and it's been on since I bought very clean.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
drmitch

Actually, the two dealers involved have both been quite cooperative and aggresive in getting my business. They've both decreased their price twice, both starting at the sticker of $13,440 and have both gotten down to what I think are pretty good prices for a brand new Toyota with warranty.

As for the goodies...yeah, pedals and shift knob are no big deal...I priced the goodies on ebay and they add up to $208...the armrest can be had for $90 and the net for $25...the price of the two cars is so close, that's not much of an issue. It's just the fun factor of the Miata that I'm afraid I'll miss and maybe a RED Yaris with some do-dads would help cushion the change...thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

yeah, you can get all the extras cheap after purchase, beats paying interest on retail, I would get the yaris but that's just what I did, it fits my needs and I like a hatch style wise

I'd opt for the blue one of the two cars, I just don't like red

of course I bought white
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
drmitch

Brick
PM me with a price on the armrest in case I go with the Blue, which doesn't have one. Thanks.
Mitch
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
get the red and you'll be the kewlest cat on the block!!
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
drmitch

Kurokoma-Kun
My commute is 90% frwy as well but...in the morning, it's 25 minutes at 6 a.m....in the evening, it's 60 minutes at 6 p.m.
Mitch
Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I'll give you a killer deal on my arm rest when my new one arrives if you want. I have the stock cloth toyota kind. Don't smoke and it's been on since I bought very clean.
Hmm...how much? Is it easy to install? Why did you get new one? Is stock one inferior?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
At one time, I was a Miata fanatic as well.

Generally speaking, black, white, and red cars have the best resale value and sell the quickest. I don't think it will be any different with the Yaris.

White and red paint (non-metallic) are without a doubt easiest to keep looking like new. Black looks great, but takes alot of work and can become a nightmare if cared for improperly.

So, while I like other Yaris colours, I'd go for the red over the blue.

BTW, I'd beat the salesman up a bit more before accepting either of those deals.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I heard they were getting rid of Bayou Blue for next year so I'd go with that... and be special hehehe but I love blue so i'm biased there
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Oh... I like my Yaris as much as any Miata I owned; it looks cool, it's really fun to drive, truly functional in design, and there are a bunch of mods available to help you personalize it!

So, go into the dealer, sit down and plan to stay a while and offer the salesman $11850 for the red one. Be prepared to work the manager over until you've made a really good deal!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
roxy84

Drives: 07 black yaris 5 speed lb
"On the other hand, maybe I should "grow up" and go with the more convervative blue."

WHAT!!? if you want o be conservative, you can get a corolla and get about the same mileage. i just traded my corolla on the yaris hatchback because, quite frankly, i was tired of looking at the corolla. im 41 and still feel young. 46 is nothing. you are not old and it seems in your heart you want the red, so get the red. the price differences are not significant. the one thing that has always been a deal breaker for me once i find the car i want is the wrong color.

no offense to bayou blue owners, but i dont find it an attractive color at all. it reminds me of a car that was once a nice shade of sky blue that faded out over the years.
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

that blue is quite muted but that is why I like it over the red, honestly I prefer cars only in black, white and silver and I would choose neither but the blue doesn't bother me like the red
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
We're in the midst of summer here, and I sure am glad that we chose white, it makes the extra grand for a/c unnecessary. And if your commute is stop&go, get the auto.

I am 68 and still a long way from growing up! I found out that the Yaris reacts like any other FWD vehicle, ie, tail loosens up in a corner under trailing throttle, very controllable; you don't find out stuff like that by driving like a little old man...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I am 68 and still a long way from growing up! I found out that the Yaris reacts like any other FWD vehicle, ie, tail loosens up in a corner under trailing throttle, very controllable; you don't find out stuff like that by driving like a little old man...
that is so cool! I vow never to drive like an old lady!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #17
ALY
TOYOTA Product Advisor

Drives: 2007 YARIS RS 3DR LB "B" PKG
manual transmission... you pick the colour. You will be bored with Auto after driving a manual Miata. And if the options help cushion the change... so be it. I used to drive an MR2 turbo. I love my Yaris.
ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #18
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALY View Post
manual transmission... you pick the colour. You will be bored with Auto after driving a manual Miata. And if the options help cushion the change... so be it. I used to drive an MR2 turbo. I love my Yaris.
Well, I don't want to get into a manual vs. automatic discussion... that's another thread; however, I've always had stick shifts (2 Miatas and an MR2, and the 3 British sport cars I currently own)

But, this Yaris is my first automatic, and I must say I thoroughly love it... what a great transmission, and I'm never bored with it!