Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
Very interesting. As Americans AT definitely does help resale value (automatic is an optional extra, creating greater initial cost and value). I know some 50somethings that have never driven MT, I'm glad you have.

As a Motor Pool Officer, what did you do specifically and what do U.S. Army motor pool consist of? What do they buy in MT? Do you think that the MTs would be especially dogged due to having many drivers (and ones that don't regularly drive MT) or are most vehicles assigned to one driver for most of its use? Do you think a Motor Pool Officer in a European Countries' Army would say the opposite (conjecture, but due to Europeans buying mainly MT)?

You supervise the motor pool mechanics and get your ass chewed out for everything that goes wrong! My MP Company had tactical vehicles (M151-A2s) that were MT. We also had Ford Topaz and Chevy Blazer/pickups for patrol cars. Later on, before I got out, we got some Ford Crown Vics. The MTs had to constantly be rebuilt. I don't know if its fair to compare the M151-A2's tranny to a commercial tranny. They were constantly being rebuilt by kids who were hardly 18. The commercial vehicles usually had no problems but back when GM went over to the first 4 speed auto tranny, the 4th gear would burn out. The other 3 would still work. The tactical vehicles usually had the same 3 people driving. The Commercial vehicles never had the same driver.

Can't say what another country's military experience with transmissions would be. People are usually the same no matter where you go. Kids usually are drivers in the military do the experienced MT operators would not come into play.

As for maintenance, yea I'd rather pull a dipstick and check ATF in comparison to the unbolting check bolt and fingering gearbox, anyday.

What do you think about higher end cars (mercedes-benz, etc) that have the MT as an optional extra?

Never have drive one so can't say. My only experience is with American cars....oh yea, and POS VW Rabbit back in the early 80s.

I appreciate your position and insights as I've never had correspondence with someone who worked with pools of motors. Cheers
As a Motor Pool Officer, what did you do specifically and what do U.S. Army motor pool consist of? What do they buy in MT? Do you think that the MTs would be especially dogged due to having many drivers (and ones that don't regularly drive MT) or are most vehicles assigned to one driver for most of its use? Do you think a Motor Pool Officer in a European Countries' Army would say the opposite (conjecture, but due to Europeans buying mainly MT)?

As for maintenance, yea I'd rather pull a dipstick and check ATF in comparison to the unbolting check bolt and fingering gearbox, anyday.

What do you think about higher end cars (mercedes-benz, etc) that have the MT as an optional extra?

I appreciate your position and insights as I've never had correspondence with someone who worked with pools of motors. Cheers

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote