Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Mid-pipe-to-axleback muffler Gasket question???

Just installed a megan header and nitto mid-pipe hooked up to my hks hi-power exhaust and there is a desent exhaust leak where the end of the mid-pipe meets the muffler flange(re-used stock donut gasket) . I read a couple post saing not to use to stock gasket(donut) with this set-up cause its too small , so what gasket is everyone with a similar set-up running
thnx
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, there are various gasket materials on the market you can buy in sheets so you can make your own gasket...also, there are metals you can use in thin strips as gasket material, pliable alloys such as copper.

personally, i just chopped off my exhaust after the cataletic converter and welded on a long glasspack the lenth of my sedan...i dont like gaskets...they leak.

edit: ensure the material you purchase is for high temp aplications and not the cork crap for valve covers.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Theres a product called muffler weld that you can use in substitute for a gasket
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
well, there are various gasket materials on the market you can buy in sheets so you can make your own gasket...also, there are metals you can use in thin strips as gasket material, pliable alloys such as copper.

personally, i just chopped off my exhaust after the cataletic converter and welded on a long glasspack the lenth of my sedan...i dont like gaskets...they leak.

edit: ensure the material you purchase is for high temp aplications and not the cork crap for valve covers.

Well I've owned 5 turbo cars so I've been around the block with custom/1-off gaskets all day long and I know what I could due . I just wanted to know what people with this same/similar set-up are running gasket wise .
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Theres a product called muffler weld that you can use in substitute for a gasket
Yeah I got some copper Atv thats worked in a pinch with upgraded turbo set-up i've ran in the past . So i might just run some for now , as i'm bombing up to aneheim for hin tommorow and dont want to listen to the exhaust leak on the drive up and I have no time to waste with the wrong gaskets/trips to kragens lol .