Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #109
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Understood, just passing on what info I have found. My egg is quickly approaching the magical 36k mile mark, and will shortly thereafter get a custom gearbox.

Agreed. I think the automatic transmission has made it too easy for people to become a passive participant in driving. Just look at how many people do everything but pay attention to the road. It would be nice to have cruise control for longer trips, but again, that's just another thing that disconnects you from controlling the car.
Cruise does not disconnect you from driving the car. It just takes the pain away from constantly having to press the accelerator. You still have to manage speed on interstates caused by people's different speeds.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #110
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Cruise does not disconnect you from driving the car. It just takes the pain away from constantly having to press the accelerator. You still have to manage speed on interstates caused by people's different speeds.
Nor does an automatic divorce you from the process of driving versus a manual transmission.

If anything, it can be argued that the latter is a distractor due to the additional functions required to operate the vehicle. Once an auto is in Drive, you can focus on driving.

It is like the ridiculous argument that new drivers should learn on a stick. Bullcrap. I am teaching my teenage son how to drive with my auto Yaris, and once he has the basic techniques down I will then introduce the added actions of a manual transmission.

I have owned many manuals over my 35+ years of driving, but see the wisdom in automatic transmissions and with the advances that have been made in technology, you can see how the manual transmission will slowly fade into the status of 8-track tapes and rotary phones...
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #111
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Nor does an automatic divorce you from the process of driving versus a manual transmission.

If anything, it can be argued that the latter is a distractor due to the additional functions required to operate the vehicle. Once an auto is in Drive, you can focus on driving.

It is like the ridiculous argument that new drivers should learn on a stick. Bullcrap. I am teaching my teenage son how to drive with my auto Yaris, and once he has the basic techniques down I will then introduce the added actions of a manual transmission.

I have owned many manuals over my 35+ years of driving, but see the wisdom in automatic transmissions and with the advances that have been made in technology, you can see how the manual transmission will slowly fade into the status of 8-track tapes and rotary phones...
while I agree learning on an automatic is the way to go, manual transmissions are not going anywhere. There is to much passion and joy from driving a manual transmission and nothing will replace that. Just like paper and pen still exist even though we have computers. Sometimes the tactile senses of something make it so much better.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #112
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
while I agree learning on an automatic is the way to go, manual transmissions are not going anywhere. There is to much passion and joy from driving a manual transmission and nothing will replace that. Just like paper and pen still exist even though we have computers. Sometimes the tactile senses of something make it so much better.
This. All of this.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #113
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
I see the manual transmission being phased out in time because the economy of scale and the advances in automatic transmissions will render the manual moot.

With automatics having 6 and on some cases, 8 speeds, they will be a better option in the mileage wars. Once the MPG of an auto is more than a manual, the car makers will abandon the manual to keep their CAFE standards high. I am sure you will be able to buy a manual, but you will be hard pressed to find one on a new car within 10 years.

Its almost like front wheel drive. Once all cars were rear wheel drive. Now, its hard to find one. Once the industry leans in a direction, they never go back!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #114
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I see the manual transmission being phased out in time because the economy of scale and the advances in automatic transmissions will render the manual moot.

With automatics having 6 and on some cases, 8 speeds, they will be a better option in the mileage wars. Once the MPG of an auto is more than a manual, the car makers will abandon the manual to keep their CAFE standards high. I am sure you will be able to buy a manual, but you will be hard pressed to find one on a new car within 10 years.

Its almost like front wheel drive. Once all cars were rear wheel drive. Now, its hard to find one. Once the industry leans in a direction, they never go back!
Agreed, eventually manual transmissions will go the way of the manual engine crank; and it is not only a matter of efficiency as it will be one of performance.

The newer, more sophisticated automatics will shift faster and better than a standard transmission. A BMW M double-clutch transmission (DCT) Drivelogic in the BMW M3 is quicker and can shift more effectively than a manual transmission...

Quote:
Taking your breath away but not your speed, the M double-clutch transmission (DCT) with Drivelogic transfers engine power to the road without the slightest disruption to tractive force. With two transmission structures the system is able to switch simply between the two, thus providing constant power to the rear wheels.

Gears can be changed without the transmission of power being interrupted using either the paddles, shift lever or automatic mode for even more dynamic comfort. 0 to 100 km/h takes just 5.1 seconds, two tenths of a second faster than the manual transmission (Source)
...and it won't be long before such technology filters down to even entry-level models such as the Yaris.

Even in the world of competitive off-roading, the majority of racers have made the switch due to the numerous advantages of modern automatic transmissions.

Autos are becoming much more popular as well, back in 2008 when I was looking for a Yaris it was considerably easier finding one with an auto than it was a manual. And before anyone contends that was due to the fact that all the manuals were bought up, the truth is that dealerships and Toyota knew the demand would be greater for autos therefore more of those models were produced.

Lastly, as I've always contended, you can manually shift an automatic transmission; but there's no way can get a standard transmission to shift on its own. The options will be there to either let the car chose the optimal gear or the driver, but the days of clutches are numbered and anyone who thinks such outdated technology will be around much longer is kidding themselves.

So enjoy your Neanderthal manual transmissions and clutches, as I agree in a decade or so you will be hard-pressed to find a modern car with them!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #115
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Yea...keep on dreaming that wish. The days of manuals are marked. But look on the bright side, in a few years, you can probably go to the Smithsonian in DC and they might have one on display in the American History section.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #116
SARU311

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I haven't owned a MT for 15 years but had my choice from 3 different ones that they had. (2) AT and (1) MT. Since I drive 450-500 miles a week I wanted to squeeze as many miles out of a tank as I could.

I think it's a lot of fun to drive but maybe I don't have the shifting down right since I'm not getting the MPG's that everyone else is getting.

I think when it's paid off I'll want to get the new CRZ with auto.
SARU311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #117
saajlexus

Drives: Lexus is300
i dont mind the auto, usually i am driving it early in the morning and the last thing i want to do it move alot, just drive normal so its good.

I am looking into the prius C...
saajlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #118
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Do miss the Blazing Blue '08 3 door base model w/ the 5 speed manual . But can live with the gas mileage of the '08 base model sedan with the 4 speed auto . Here's the reason why . Reaching 45 m.p.g. about 32 miles after a fill up and ending up with 40.2 when getting home . City driving killed it , hit many stop lights . Eco meter is set at 94 , so the readings could be a bit higher .
Attached Images

Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #119
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I wish I had gotten the MT, mostly for the extra mods you can do to MT and it just being more fun to drive.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #120
flg

Drives: Silver Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I wish I had gotten the MT, mostly for the extra mods you can do to MT and it just being more fun to drive.
After noticing your avator, looks like an automatic???, what's up there dude? A 45 at that? Is it more fun???
flg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #121
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
lol I don't actually have either of those anymore, but I do have 36 others :P Here's a picture of what my latest purchase was. This one isn't mine, but is almost exactly what it'll look like. Mine is still pending with the BATFE and will be for another couple of months.

It's as automatic as you can get :)

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #122
Hershey

There was a tan 2nd generation Prius in front of us when the 45 appeared on the Eco-Meter that's pictured above . Had that pic , but deleted it .
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #123
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
There was a tan 2nd generation Prius in front of us when the 45 appeared on the Eco-Meter that's pictured above . Had that pic , but deleted it .
Ended up with 40.1 m.p.g.. It's an automatic .
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #124
Sparcoboy

Drives: 2008 XP9 by Sparco
I will always take a MT over an AT. Overtaking, sporty driving is a lot comfier with a MT. In Europe almost everyone drives a MT. If you go get your drivers license in an AT you will never be allowed to drive a MT so here everyone knows how to drive a MT. Once used to a MT I like it a lot more than the AT.
Sparcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #125
bakerman6578

Drives: Grey Metallic Sedan
Considering my parents bought the car, I had no say, but comming from a 1966 Mustang with a 331 stroker and a 5 speed, I miss my third pedal but selling the mustang and going from 11 MPG to 37 MPG when you drive 300 miles a week... well it really makes a difference to the bottom line when bills are due! Not to mentinon the reliability increase
bakerman6578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #126
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I have been driving a stick for 29 years .. and honestly I wish that my Yaris was an auto compared to the stick that I have.

I find that the Yaris is picky when it comes to starting out from a standstill. I had a Honda before this .. and the Yaris is way way more of a pain in the ass when it comes to shifting.

Wishing I had an AT in my Yaris.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote