Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Bear in mind it will increase interior cabin noise too.
Thats it. These parts actually reduce driving comfort. Of course it is no problem for a race car but i would not mount these in a daily driver.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
Thats it. These parts actually reduce driving comfort. Of course it is no problem for a race car but i would not mount these in a daily driver.
That is usually only the case with a poor quality bearing, or if the shock or mont is a poor fit.

I have experienced both over the years. This will be the first Cusco part I have ever used, but so far they look like good parts.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Has nothing to do with the bearing. The rubber part is there on street cars for some good reasons, i.e. isolation (or decoupling?) and less stress for the monocoque. I don't know all the words in english. Sorry.

I had a solid mount at my Toyota Starlet many years ago. Vibrations and any other noises from the suspension and tires have been significantly louder inside the car.

You don't need comfort in a race car and you don't like the side effects of a rubber mount in a race car, too. Thats for sure. And of course a race car usually has many bars to stiffen up the body. Cusco is known for high quality parts, i had some braces from them at my Starlet. Any part was a perfect fit and had flawless engineering.

Last edited by Kongo-Otto; 06-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #22
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
Has nothing to do with the bearing. The rubber part is there on street cars for some good reasons, i.e. isolation (or decoupling?) and less stress for the monocoque. I don't know all the words in english. Sorry.

I had a solid mount at my Toyota Starlet many years ago. Vibrations and any other noises from the suspension and tires have been significantly louder inside the car.

You don't need comfort in a race car and you don't like the side effects of a rubber mount in a race car, too. Thats for sure. And of course a race car usually has many bars to stiffen up the body. Cusco is known for high quality parts, i had some braces from them at my Starlet. Any part was a perfect fit and had flawless engineering.
I had Moton suspension with solid mounts and bearing on my daily driven RX-8, no issues what so ever. Using quality parts means a lot. Bearings have gotten a bad rap over the years because some companies use low quality parts, a sloppy or loose bearing is a great way to pick up noise. Parts that are tight and move smoothly force the shock to do its job.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Jason@SportsCar

And they fit.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Nice Jason, looks great!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I can only imagine getting the tools in there to adjust those with a DD with the wiper cowl and that aluminum black pan that the wiper motor sits in..

I can barely get one hand in there with a allen key to adjust my dampers on my shocks. I may pass on this mod actually, UNLESS I do end up pulling this off the streets for good any only track it.

Personally I can hear any bump rattle and shimmy in my car, but if it sounds normal, I can tune it out with no problem.. I dont think my exhaust is very loud but other people do. Its normal to me..
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I can only imagine getting the tools in there to adjust those with a DD with the wiper cowl and that aluminum black pan that the wiper motor sits in..

I can barely get one hand in there with a allen key to adjust my dampers on my shocks. I may pass on this mod actually, UNLESS I do end up pulling this off the streets for good any only track it.

Personally I can hear any bump rattle and shimmy in my car, but if it sounds normal, I can tune it out with no problem.. I dont think my exhaust is very loud but other people do. Its normal to me..
Cusco includes the wrenches required to install the Centerlock. But yes, you could have a hard time adjusting your shocks. Inverted AST struts FTW - my adjustment knob is on the bottom.

You could fab up a custom adjustment tool... On the back of my RX-8 it was not possible to reach, or even see the top of the rear shock to adjust it. One of the Moton dealers came up with a cable that attached to the top of it, and we could fit it between the gaps in the body.

Cut an allen wrench, glue one end into a braided steel brake line, the other in the top of your shock. Remote adjusters.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Inverted AST struts FTW - my adjustment knob is on the bottom.
So are Silk Roads.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #28
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
After looking at the price at oem ones 100 and these about 200 its really not that expensive figuring they will outlast oem ones. I am wondering of a machine shop can fabricate solid upper strut mounts all the coil overs already have them.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
all the coil overs already have them.
Not for the Yaris that we've ever seen. However, Cusco is now offering them with their coilovers, with a higher price to include them.

Here is another option for the underneath part: TRD upper mounts from Japan. VERY hard rubber.

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Not for the Yaris that we've ever seen. However, Cusco is now offering them with their coilovers, with a higher price to include them.

Here is another option for the underneath part: TRD upper mounts from Japan. VERY hard rubber.

How much do those run for as a alternative. I just emailed cusco and they quoted me 400 even US PLUS the cost of shipping.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #31
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
i like these parts. the cusco upper mounts.

jason, have you taken them to the streets/ track?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

TRD mounts are about $200. CUSCO mounts will be in stock soon, less than $400 but not by much.

CUSCO coilovers will also have this option as an upgrade.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #33
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
i like these parts. the cusco upper mounts.

jason, have you taken them to the streets/ track?
Plan is to get the new engine in this weekend, then get the body back together and a new tune the week after... We tentatively plan to test the new setup on Aug 5th. Seems like a long ways off, but time is flying.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

That will come soon, can't wait to hear/see/read
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #35
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Honestly those are a pretty cool part.....price is actually not bad either....think about it we spend how much to make stereo go bump.....my sub and box were that much.

I like it will fit on OEM struts,might be a nice upgrade for a person who is building a fun car....never made any money building a car but I sure had fun doing it.

We upgrade just about everything on the car suspension wise,this is just one more thing to make the car feel like it is on rails.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #36
dylan8
I've made a post!

Drives: suck
will the TRD mount fit in yaris sedan(NCP93)?thanks
dylan8 is offline   Reply With Quote