Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
You have it backwards. I think you should re-read that tech page.

a 17x7 with a 50 offset tucks further in than a 17x7 with a 30 offset. 20mm to be exact.
That makes absolutely no sense. You are saying they measure positive offset backwards.

Quote:
...However, if your spoke design does not allow it to clear, a spacer would push the face of the wheel further away from the brake. This also effectively changes offset.

The size of the hub does not change with offset. So the distance away from the brake caliper does not change.
You just contradicted yourself. Which is it.

From the other comments you made, and the pic that is identical to the one I was using, you are agreeing with me, but I guess you just can't admit that.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #20
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Drives: Turbo IS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
That makes absolutely no sense. You are saying they measure positive offset backwards.

From the other comments you made, and the pic that is identical to the one I was using, you are agreeing with me, but I guess you just can't admit that.
Like I said before, go re-read the very link you sent to me.
There is a fundamental difference in the way you are understanding it.

Positive offset is when the hub mounting surface is near the road side of the rim. This has the effect of bringing the wheel further inside the fender. The higher the offset (positive), the more the wheel will sit in towards the car.

I didn't contradict myself.
If your offset is +50, and you put a 5mm spacer, your new offset will be +45...effectively changing the offset because your mounting surface is 5mm closer to centerline.

However, if you had purchased the wheel direct from the manufacturer at a 45 offset, the rim would not have the same measurements. The hub thickness would be the same as a +50 offset...only the mounting surface would be 5mm closer to the centerline of the wheel. The lip on the wheel would be 5mm bigger.

I'm not spouting a "guess" as to how this stuff works.
I advise people on wheel purchases and give guidelines on width, tire size and offset all the time.
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #21
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:

I think I misunderstood what you thought was contradictory.

I am certainly not agreeing with you.

If you want to talk about brake clearance:
Say you have a 17x7 on a 45 offset...and it happens to have 2mm clearance from the brake caliper.

If you take a 17x7 with a 50 offset, it will have the same 2mm clearance from the brake caliper.

Offset does not change the hub size. It does not change the hub/face design at all.

Offset moves the entire hub/face assembly to a different place inside the rim blank.

So if you are rubbing your caliper, getting a different offset wheel doesn't necessarily fix anything.

If you throw on a wheel spacer, you are effectively changing the measurement of offset by pushing the hub/face outwards. You are effectively decreasing offset.

But then you run into situations where people think that since they artificially changed the offset of the rim setup, that someone else can just run the resulting offset and be fine. An example:
a 17x7 with 50 offset wheel doesn't fit because of brake clearance...and you spacered it 5mm.
Someone may think now that a 17x7 with a 45 offset should be fine.
But it definately is NOT because you are artificially changing the offset and increasing the hub size.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #22
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Either way man, no hard feelings. Not trying to be a dick.
But I think you're giving false info and if people read it and take it as fact, they may be running around with all sorts of fuxored wheel combinations.

And that's the worst...to buy a wheel, mount a tire and drive on it only to find out that the suckers don't fit. Wheels are expensive to ship.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #23
YarisHatch

Drives: Blank
Send a message via AIM to YarisHatch Send a message via Yahoo to YarisHatch
Quote:
Either way man, no hard feelings. Not trying to be a dick.
But I think you're giving false info and if people read it and take it as fact, they may be running around with all sorts of fuxored wheel combinations.

And that's the worst...to buy a wheel, mount a tire and drive on it only to find out that the suckers don't fit. Wheels are expensive to ship.
I will say this, your comment about the spacers.. Yes, spacers can cause problems with lug coverage and result into a very serious situation. (Agree'd! ) However, this is why you have to use common sense when chosing a spacer for your wheels. (if needed) If you have chosen a 0offset 15x8.5 wheel for example, you have chosen the wrong wheel for a yaris because the spacer would have to be pretty large in mm's to push the wheel far enough out to clear. As long as you don't go extreme with the spacers, your fine. Ignoring spacers and just going with wheels that clear the first time is obviously the better choice, but wheels spacers doesn't automatically mean wheel/lug failure.
YarisHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #24
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisHatch
I will say this, your comment about the spacers.. Yes, spacers can cause problems with lug coverage and result into a very serious situation. (Agree'd! ) However, this is why you have to use common sense when chosing a spacer for your wheels. (if needed) If you have chosen a 0offset 15x8.5 wheel for example, you have chosen the wrong wheel for a yaris because the spacer would have to be pretty large in mm's to push the wheel far enough out to clear. As long as you don't go extreme with the spacers, your fine. Ignoring spacers and just going with wheels that clear the first time is obviously the better choice, but wheels spacers doesn't automatically mean wheel/lug failure.
Ok. You have it backwards too, but your point is valid. Spaces should only be used if necessary...Defintely a backup.

If you have a 15x8.5 wheel with a 0 offset you are definately not going to need a spacer. The lower the offset, the further it sticks out.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #25
YarisHatch

Quote:
Ok. You have it backwards too, but your point is valid. Spaces should only be used if necessary...Defintely a backup.

If you have a 15x8.5 wheel with a 0 offset you are definately not going to need a spacer. The lower the offset, the further it sticks out.
15x8 with 0 offset on a xb, it rubs like crazy. Yes, it will clear the brakes without an issue. I'm not talking about brake clearance, i'm talking about general clearance and having no issues with rubbing or brakes. Sorry, i should have explained my point clearer.

I'm not trying to argue with you, my main point is to say spacers are a 100% waste of time and dangerous is only valid if you choose an extreme route. You have to choose your wheels and offsets with practical thinking in mind.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #26
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
15x8 on a xb, it rubs like crazy. Yes, it will clear the brakes without an issue. I'm not talking about brake clearance, i'm talking about general clearance and having no issues with rubbing or brakes. Sorry, i should have explained my point clearer.

I'm not trying to argue with you, my main point is to say spacers are a 100% waste of time and dangerous is only valid if you choose an extreme route. You have to choose your wheels and offsets with practical thinking in mind.
Right I understand that...
I'm just saying that a 0 offset makes the the wheel stick out of the fender...not in. I think you had that backwards.

This is what you wrote
Quote:
If you have chosen a 0offset 15x8.5 wheel for example, you have chosen the wrong wheel for a yaris because the spacer would have to be pretty large in mm's to push the wheel far enough out to clear.
If you had a 15x8.5 and a 0 offset, you would definately not need a spacer. Your wheel would be way past the fender already.

Spacers can only "fix" situations when the wheel sits too far in. If it sits too far out, you're fuxored.

In my opinion, the extreme spacers are better because their own pressed in studs making them much more reliable and prone to breaking.

Last edited by SophieSleeps; 06-01-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 AM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Dude, I never said I knew anything.

I only pass on info others have related to me, as I have 0 practical knowledge with automobiles, and I have made that abundantly clear.

I think I understand what you are saying. You seem to be saying getting the proper wheel fitment is a heck of a lot harder than it seems.

And you are an ass.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #28
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Dude, I never said I knew anything.

I only pass on info others have related to me, as I have 0 practical knowledge with automobiles, and I have made that abundantly clear.

I think I understand what you are saying. You seem to be saying getting the proper wheel fitment is a heck of a lot harder than it seems.

And you are an ass.
Yeah. I pretty much am an asshole online. I don't believe in tact when you can't see a person.
In 3D, i'm a much nicer person occasionally. Sometimes

You can look at the pussy

Last edited by SophieSleeps; 06-02-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #29
YarisHatch

Guys, you do realize you are getting upset over talking about wheels, right?

You two need to do this; or and just relax. It's not worth it in person, much less on a forum.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #30
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Guys, you do realize you are getting upset over talking about wheels, right?

You two need to do this; or and just relax. It's not worth it in person, much less on a forum.
That's true.
So I look at the picture of the pussy.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #31
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
by the way!!

you should be running 205/40/17's Not 205/45/17 .. itll make your diameter slightly bigger therefore lost of acceleration as well...small nicky stuff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino_potato View Post
Will 205/45/17 tires on 17 x 7 inch rims with a 38mm cause any suspension problems with the stock lowering springs? (eg. rubbing, hitting the inner fender liner, ect. I've gotten mixed answers so could someone with the knowledge please school me on this.

Thanx
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #32
MrJester

Drives: homo
I am runing 215/40/17 and they fit perfect its close to rubbing but I don't have any rubbing except maybe large pot holes when the car is full.
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #33
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
215 wow thats a nice width for the tire.. then put sum spacer on the rear and u got ur self a mini rc racer...heheheh
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #34
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino_potato View Post
I'm putting on 17 because I got a set kickin around.

So with wheel spacers I should be OK all around?
What size wheel spacers should I use??

My main concern is if I have a packed car and the wheels
start rubbing in the front or the back.
NO SPACERS ARE NEEDED
if you are running a 7 inch wide wheel a +38 off set is what you need... you said you are running a 205 something or other tire?... it is going to be a tad to small but it will be a mile away from rubbing.... I would go with the 215/40R17 get you with the correct rolling diameter, with no rubbing problems... I am running 15X7's with a +38 and I have 225/50R15 no rubbing problems so you will be fine, no spacers and you can have all the fat ppl you want in the back with no problems, I have loaded my yaris down a few times and I am running a MUCH wider setup no problems at all
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM   #35
ayaya

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am runing 215/40/17 and they fit perfect its close to rubbing but I don't have any rubbing except maybe large pot holes when the car is full.
I've order Falken Speed 5 - 17" X 7" with 40 offset. 215/40 17 Tires.... hope that would be ok without rubbing.....
ayaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 AM   #36
absenter

Drives: Black '07 Liftback
In my future I see a pair of 17" x 7" Enkey FN-18 with a 42 offset and 205/45R17 tires. I'm pretty much in love with these rims. I already got my DF210's just need to install them. You guyses think I'll have any problem with rubbing etc? I'll pretty much be the only one in the car. I have no fiends