Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
TWM Short shifter install= OWNED

O.K. After disassembling the plastic center console and removing like 15-20 or so screws, I am able to get to the shifter assembly. I remove shifter link cables, then i am stuck trying to pry off the black clip. Without a dremel on hand, i could not for the life of me remove it. I was effing up the white plastic casing pretty well though. It's step 8 on the instruction manual, i can post the pic.

http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...p%20Manual.pdf

Just thought i'd share. I'll have to reconvene this project when i can either borrow a dremel, or get to the store and pick it up later this month.
Any tips you guys had without using a dremel would help. Otherwise imma blast this bitch off with the dremel!

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Bump for 58 reply-less views!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
if I recall how the guys at the workshop installed mine, they put the stock stick in a vise, and yanked at that part with some pliers...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Those clips can be buggers. Definitely designed for easy install and no removal.
If you have a sharp chisel you might get behind it. Otherwise the dremel is a solution. Just be careful not to melt that white plastic assembly while grinding away at the clip.
I might try a hacksaw first. Less heat.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
if i recall i used a flat head screw driver to pry that off just like the picture depicts. i do remember cutting the shit out of my finger in the process when the screw driver slipped out but i got it off with a flat head screw driver.

good luck

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
flat head screw driver = dangerous. don't let it slip.

but indeed, people here in Quebec do it with just a flat head screw driver. Seriously, i have no idea how they mange to do so.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

I tried the thinnest flathead screwdriver i could find. After blood, sweat, and swearing (no tears), i gave up. I think a hacksaw could be seriously dangerous. I'll update when i get a chance to do this again, hopefully this weekend.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
Is this the part you're talking about? Have you tried twisting the screwdriver rather than prying at it?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp twist not pry.bmp (433.3 KB, 240 views)
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

^^ yeah that's the part. No, oddly i didn't try that, although i must say that i could not fit the screwdriver between the plastic and the clip. I'll give it a shot next week, i'll have a garage to borrow for a few weeks if i need to down my car for any reason. thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #10
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
if you need a dremel, let me know.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

^^Thanks, i just went to lowe's on saturday and bought one. Figured it would come in handy down the road.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

OK, installation of short shifter and shift knob complete. The dremel came in most handy, and i didn't have a press, so i bought those clamp type table vise.
Do not get this type. It is rubbish! You can heat the rubber clip w/ a hairdryer and get the thing off. After the dremel and hairdryer, putting it all back took me minutes!!
I also installed a cabin bar (called a room bar by ultra), some H.D. endlinks, and camber bolts.
All in all, a pretty ok weekend. I need an impact to install my coilovers though, so i got owned again.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Is the TWM Short shifter shorter than the OEM shifter in length? Anyone can show me the pic of both side by side?
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainMikli View Post
Is the TWM Short shifter shorter than the OEM shifter in length? Anyone can show me the pic of both side by side?
Yes the TWM website lists the shifter as 2.5" shorter than OEM with a 35% throw reduction
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
It's nice to see you got it installed!