Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
insane_shroom

Drives: 2007 Yaris
P0717 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal

Got this check engine light code at Autozone a few days ago, i searched in the threads and on Google for the location of the sensor, so i can match it and buy it online, but i cant find it. Anyone here knows where it is, or the actual part number so i can order it?
Please and Thanks for all the help.
insane_shroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The turbine sensor is 89413-32010 (sensor, transmission revolution). In the picture below it is the black device circled on the center of the the top of the tranny. It feeds the rotation speed of the AT's input turbine to the ECM (for transmission control).

The other one (in the upper left) is the speed sensor, which feeds the vehicle speed to the ECM and speedometer.

Yaris AT Speed and Turbine sensors.jpg
Old 02-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
insane_shroom

Thanks CTScott I'm a bit amazed at how fast you replied to this post hah. A little back story on my problem, my Yaris has been skipping first gear into second and taking off from a stop really slow, yesterday when I was on the highway the speedometer was flickering and would all of a sudden stop receiving the signal from my acceleration. I got it tested a few days ago and got that code. I've been doing research but I had to come on here to get someone's input. So I just ordered the piece and hopefully it is the part I needed. Again thanks for everything and the quick reply. I'll put an update when I replace the part
Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
I had a problem like that with a dodge caravan. I put the van up on jackstands, started it and put it in drive. I read the voltage off the sensor with a voltmeter. Checked for the voltage at the ecm and had it there. Turned out to be a bad ground rather than the sensor.
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
canadian deacon

Beautiful shot of the transmission and sensors CTScott. Very helpful for locating the sensors.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian deacon View Post
I had a problem like that with a dodge caravan. I put the van up on jackstands, started it and put it in drive. I read the voltage off the sensor with a voltmeter. Checked for the voltage at the ecm and had it there. Turned out to be a bad ground rather than the sensor.
On the Yaris the Turbine sensor is a hall effect sensor with both ends being connected directly to the ECM, so this particular issue would not be a ground issue on the Yaris, but it could be corrosion of the connector terminals that plug into the sensor.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
canadian deacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On the Yaris the Turbine sensor is a hall effect sensor with both ends being connected directly to the ECM, so this particular issue would not be a ground issue on the Yaris, but it could be corrosion of the connector terminals that plug into the sensor.
I misspoke in my explanation. The caravan speed sensor has a similar design as the yaris. I meant to say that I followed the signal back to the transmission control module so I knew the sensor and wiring were okay to that point.

I found a bad ground lead off of the transmission control module. The lead had been back probed and the hole had never been sealed. The wire corroded through in two or three places along its length. Hard to find but cheap to repair.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
insane_shroom

An update on my Yaris.
I changed the part on Tuesday. i completely forgot to take pictures until after i finished. but if you remove the battery you can see the part right down there. Anyways, i finished the replacement and drove on the highway about 10 miles roughly, when i got off the highway the car was doing the same skipping as it was before but felt a little "cleaner". I drove in some back roads. it seemed that it was skipping out of first gear only. I reached a local Walmart parking lot and opened the hood to inspect and tightened the part a bit more. i restarted my car and it was doing better. i drove around on the parking lot a few times and the shaking and skipping or gears was gone. I've been in the city and the highway since then and everything seems perfect so far. I've driven about 100 miles and no signs of transmission problems.

Thanks for the help everyone. If anything comes up ill come on here update my issue.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
insane_shroom

An update. It wasn't the speed sensor that was bad. I installed the grouding kit a few months ago and it was working fine until recently when I posted here.
On Wednesday I was at a light and my Yaris stalled and wouldn't come back on so I had it towed to the nearest dealership and they ended up disconnecting the grounding kit. Now the Yaris run like new. I don't know why it took so long for it to come up with this problem. I'm just happy it's fixed.