Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Battery and heater mods

A few questions :

1. What's the maximum battery size the engine bay can accept, i.e. how strong the battery tray is and what mods can be done to fit as big of a battery as possible ?

2. DIY heated mirrors ? I have power mirrors, wondering if there's an aftermarket replacement glass with heat pads available or if the stock glass can be taken off and have enough room to accept a heat pad behind it, and if the heat pad could be hazardous to the mirror assembly due to the heat ?

3. Heated windshield/interior. I don't like to idle my engine for several minutes in order to get hot air from the vents to help defrost my windshield in the icy mornings. I was thinking of installing an electric heat blower in the car or a quartz heater to warm up the windshield directly from battery power, on a relay and timer remotely activated with my remote starter "custom" button, and possibly also wire the rear window defogger to it, so I can have a headstart on deicing the windows in the morning without burning fuel and meaningless pollution. A 10"x1" quartz heater on the dashboard directed at the center height of the windshield would be very effective, but it's not easy to find such product. I do have a 1kw power inverter installed, so I can use either 12vDC or 120vAC power source.

4. If I install a 500w block heater, how long should I have it running when it's -20°C to make it worth ? Same for an 150w oil pan heated pad. Are we talking several hours or 15 minutes ?

I plan on moving the current battery in the rear and replace with a new bigger one, so I can run the defrosting gear off the secondary battery. My goal is deicing the windows as quick as possible.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote