Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Loud whine from engine around idle speed

I've never heard a car make a sound like this. Car drives fine, but I have no idea what the sound is and don't want to risk damaging something. Any ideas/suggestions?

https://youtu.be/o7spt25irSY

Edit- now that the engine has cooled down the noise is much quieter and I can tell the sound is coming from a pulley or something near the accessory drive belt. Going to try driving some more and will be extra careful.

Last edited by GuySmily; 07-17-2017 at 07:04 AM.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Either your belt is slipping or your alternator is starting to go. Belt will be a loud squeal whereas the alternator sounds like a quiet supercharger and usually will have an electrical smell to it
Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Either your belt is slipping or your alternator is starting to go. Belt will be a loud squeal whereas the alternator sounds like a quiet supercharger and usually will have an electrical smell to it
Your right about being the alternator but it`s not electrical. Most likely the bearings are shot.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
tmontague

Just realized there was a video link attached. Ya, definitely bearings likely from the alt. A bad alt won't sound nearly that loud if it's the internals going and not the bearing
Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
GuySmily

Thanks guys. Hopefully it can go a couple hundred miles like this so I can get home. Don't have any big tools on me so I can't do any further troubleshooting myself.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
GuySmily

Bad news. It's the AC compressor pulley bearing. A mechanic without even looking at it said that's what it probably was and quoted us $1600 or something like that.

Surely there's a way to replace the bearing.. Any input?

Edit- guess I gotta do this:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46975

Last edited by GuySmily; 07-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
tmontague

What it "probably was" or what it is? Use a long screwdrive as a stethoscope to determine the exact auxiliary unit causing the issue.

If is is the compressor then either get a recycled oem one from the local recycler or buy a reman'd unit off eBay and do it your self. Just pay a garage to discharge and full up the refridgerant for you
Old 07-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
GuySmily

Heh, sorry, should have been more clear.

While I was out of town / where the problem happened, that mechanic guessed at the problem without even looking at the car.

Now that I'm home, I pulled the belt off and found he was right. So I installed a shorter belt to bypass the AC compressor for now (Dayco 5040362 from AutoZone). No more noise!

I'm hoping it will be more cost effective to swap out the bearing than to discharge/recharge the AC. I need to go to socal this weekend, so I'm going to grab part # 35BX5212-DDST2NB from bearingsdirect.com in Glendale, CA and see if my mechanic has time to do the install. I'll let you guys know if it works out.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
you will have to recover the r134a out of the system before removing the compressor to replace bearing. then you will have to charge it back up.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yo Rusty, what's up? When did you get a Yaris? Thought you had a first gen Insight?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
GuySmily

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
you will have to recover the r134a out of the system before removing the compressor to replace bearing. then you will have to charge it back up.
Yeah that's what ended up happening. We trashed the pulley bolt trying to get it off and rather than trying to drill it out and all that we just replaced the whole compressor.

So, sorry I can't report on how the bearing works, but the owner over at bearings direct was super friendly. Bearing was twenty-something bucks. I still have mine in the package. Guess I'll throw it on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yo Rusty, what's up? When did you get a Yaris? Thought you had a first gen Insight?
Hey Laz! This is actually my sister's car. Her pulley went while we were on our way to her place in Santa Cruz.

Actually my Insight was with my mechanic in socal so Annie and I took the Yaris down there to get it fixed and to pick my car up.

But yeah I'm still driving both the insight and mr2. I also bought an electric smart too, but my mom's driving it now. That smart car is than the mr2 lol. Tbh I think I can confidently say that I'm never buying a gasoline car ever again.