Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #55
Midnightsun

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5DR White
I would be worried doing something like this in the states. To many sue happy lawyers wanting to eat anything alive for free. In Canada, I would certainly do it if needed. We are not talking hauling a camper long distances on a regular basis. More like I need to haul some materials from the local home depot once in a blue moon. The car is actually rated to take 1200lbs towing capacity in Europe and by adding brakes to the trailer you up that to over 1500lbs. This basically says the weak point is only braking up to 1200 lbs and then other weaknesses kick in after 1500lbs if you take care of the braking. My wife's Nissan cube is rated for 0 and so is the Versa. This is most likely based on the cvt tranny and it's 10 year 200,000 mile warranty That being said, we do have a hitch on the cube and we do occasionally tow the PWC in summer and the sled in winter. We do not tow across country, longest distance ever covered is about an hour. If the tranny does ever have problems on the cube and they ask about the hitch, no problem, we are avid cyclists and do have a bike rack for the hitch. We never tow anything as this is not allowed.

Last edited by Midnightsun; 04-21-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #56
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
I'll follow the european tow limits (equal to vehicle weight) since I actually know how to drive a trailer.

I towed a Uhaul 5x8 recently to Albany, NY, loaded it up with about 800 lbs. of stuff, then towed the full trailer back home. 55 MPH both ways - no drama. Just kept it in 4th gear and 3rd on some of the steeper climbs.

I don't see what the big tow scare is.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #57
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
I'll follow the european tow limits (equal to vehicle weight) since I actually know how to drive a trailer.

I towed a Uhaul 5x8 recently to Albany, NY, loaded it up with about 800 lbs. of stuff, then towed the full trailer back home. 55 MPH both ways - no drama. Just kept it in 4th gear and 3rd on some of the steeper climbs.

I don't see what the big tow scare is.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #58
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Has anyone ordered that toyota trailer hitch from overseas? I like the way that one attaches.

I am considering a trailer to tow a streetbike every once in a while, its good to know that the yaris's limits are actually higher elsewhere when its the same car! My bike is 600lbs easily so add trailer and I will be at the canadian limit and then some.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #59
Yankee Spy
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
I've got an 08 Yaris HB 5 speed. I'm towing 854lbs (trailer and load) , (3.5x5 Carry On cargo trailer from Lowes). I've tested this rig on very steep gravel roads, freeway, winding country roads etc. I don't exceed the 1585lb. GVWR. My advice? 1) Balance your load. 2) Stay at 65mph. 3) Keep the trailer profile below the back hatch window.
4) Keep your tires, brakes, struts/shocks in good condition. 5) Change your oil every 3000 miles. I'll give update about any problems I encounter. So far so good. Slow down, pay attention and enjoy your Yaris.
Yankee Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #60
Woodsman

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatchback CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
Here's my harbor freight trailer. Just made a quick scaffold last night to keep the patio door upright. I picked up a patio door in the morning. The trailer has a 1000 lbs capacity. The sliding glass door with frame is probably a couple hundred pounds.

Drove at or under the speed limit on the streets for about 20 miles.

No problems.

At least you drove slowly for only a short distance with that set-up.
The overall weights are not a problem but with the window so far back on the trailer your tongue weight would not be enough based on total weight of trailer & load.
I also haul a trailer occasionally with my Yaris & if the weights stay reasonable with the proper tongue weight you hardly know it's there.
Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #61
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Pulling heavy things with any small car usually isn't a problem. Stopping it is. But the Yaris and Echo have pretty good brakes, so an extra 1000lbs should be in it realm of capabilities.

Think about it, you put 4 250lbs guys in it plus a trunk full of beer on the way to the cottage and you're well over the GVWR but the car isn't going to fail.

And Yankee Spy, GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (meaning the total weight of everything, including the car, fuel, luggage and passengers). The car itself weighs in at over 2300 lbs, so I think your 1585 lbs is a little shy. If you meant 1585Kg, >3494 lbs, then you might be right.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #62
Got Mine

Drives: 2009 5dr
I tow quite a bit.

Whether it be towing my bike to the shop or hauling lawn mowers between jobs I have had no serious issues.
Watch your weight and balance like other have previously mentioned and if at all possible stick to smooth roads, bumpy roads and heavy trailers make a very unhappy Yaris.
Attached Images

Got Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #63
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
curt 11050 hitch is the best design for slapping on a yaris HB so far

go one to hold a yakima double down rack for me bikes

I've been researching the 11050 hitch. It does seem to be vastly superior than the DrawTite and Hidden. But I just took a peek at the but-t of my Yaris, and it seems to me the 11050 would be a pain to install. Has anyone experience with installing the 11050?
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #64
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
keep in mind for all people towing with a yaris, the limit set in your region will be the limit on the ownership and in the government database.

in canada if the mto officer knows any specific towing details on the yaris and see's u with something that yes your car is capable of but is prob over the listed limit he(or she) will pull you over and pull out the portable scales and weigh your load. keep that in mind

sources: tow truck driver, we gets calls all the time from mto and opp to tow an unsafe trailer (in reality the trailer is more then safe but its over the towing limit of the car) also some tow trucks caught (a Ford F350 suspension/engine can hold and tow a fully loaded cube van but not according to mto)
Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #65
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
At least you drove slowly for only a short distance with that set-up.
The overall weights are not a problem but with the window so far back on the trailer your tongue weight would not be enough based on total weight of trailer & load.
I also haul a trailer occasionally with my Yaris & if the weights stay reasonable with the proper tongue weight you hardly know it's there.
A little common sense will go a long way to safely handling any motored vehicle, regardless of configuration.

I've seen people towing U-Haul trailers passing people on the freeway as if the trailer wasn't there (narrowly missing cars they are trying to pass).

Just be aware and drive within the limits of the load, vehicle and the driver.

Regarding my patio door, why would I want to go any faster and/or go on the freeway? The point is to get a new unbroken door with windows home to replace a broken one. The last thing I needed was to make another trip and spend another $400.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #66
Woodsman

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatchback CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
Regarding my patio door, why would I want to go any faster and/or go on the freeway? The point is to get a new unbroken door with windows home to replace a broken one. The last thing I needed was to make another trip and spend another $400.
It seems like you missed my point.
They way you loaded your patio door on the trailer created an unsafe situation by having more weight behind the wheels than in front of them. Your tongue weight would not be near 10% of your trailer & load weight.
This makes the trailer unstable even at legal road speeds.
Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #67
billfires

Drives: 2010 3dr LB
When my Yaris is out of warranty I will put a trailer hitch on it and not look back. I had a 1983 Dodge Colt 4dr HB with a 1.4 litre engine and a 4 speed Twin Stick transmission (that gave it a 15 percent under drive) that had a hitch mounted to the bumper. I regularly towed a 15 foot fiberglass Sears boat with a 40 hp motor and also used it twice to tow a 6 x 9 trailer loaded with 2x6 by 8' lumber that was the lower level framing for a 28' x 50' modular house. I don't know the exact weight but would think it was at least 2000 pounds. The Yaris engine is definitely more powerful and I am pretty certain the brakes are stronger also. It is up to each individual to make (and live with) their own choice in this regard. Bill C

Last edited by billfires; 10-09-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #68
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
It seems like you missed my point.
They way you loaded your patio door on the trailer created an unsafe situation by having more weight behind the wheels than in front of them. Your tongue weight would not be near 10% of your trailer & load weight.
This makes the trailer unstable even at legal road speeds.

Not trying to argue here, but wow, you can tell all this from a single picture?

Looking at just the picture, I can't even tell if the middle of the patio door was right on top of the trailer's axle or 18" behind the axle. All I can see is a patio door extending out of the trailer.

If you don't want anyone to tow with a Yaris, just say that the owner's manual specifically says not to. No need to pull a CSI from a single picture when you weren't even there.

Unsafe situation? I'm glad I made it home alive...
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #69
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It's fairly obvious that there's more sticking out behind the wheel than in front but sometimes you just have to do it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #70
ramaz

Drives: yaris
wow, sorry for that car. much weight
ramaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #71
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
I pushed the limit

I had a friends 7500Lb 2005 F150 FX4 break down on our way to the shop, so what did I do? I hooked my towstrap to it of course! I pulled him approximately 6 miles at speeds up to 45 mph. The big struggle was having to stop at a stoplight on a 10% grade which I thought was going to completely burn the clutch out >.<
I have a curt class 1 hitch and regularly pull my ATV trailer with it and have moved from WV to GA towing a 1900 pound U-haul trailer with little incident as long as I kept at 65 and ensured massive stopping distance when any sort of water was on the roads. I think Garm posted a grainy picture of it awhile back on here.
Yes, I would say a yaris can tow a small trailer

Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #72
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Haha sick! But next time don't worry about slipping the clutch, just let your tires peel out until you can get going. It's a hell-of-a-lot cheaper to change two tires than to change a clutch.