Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #109
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
still on original front wheel bearings
(why I searched his repairs list: I've got an 07 from Gilroy CA that is rust free, unmodified and not beat. Seems like a front wheel bearing is making noise.)
I work in Gilroy I'm at around 315k, the list of repairs on this car has been minimal: Alternator, accessory belt, radiator fan, a few sets of plugs and fuel filter. Its got plenty of clunks and squeaks. My car has light mods, lowered since 1k (spring then coilovers), air intake and exhaust.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #110
trini_per4mance

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S Sedan
In addition to my above repairs. I recently replaced my outer tie rod ends this wkd gone @ 558,675 miles. My next repair is going to be my valve seals in preparation for the turbo kit. I plan on running 6-7lbs on the stock internals and ECU and fuel system with 558,000+ miles on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTlNLz9Iqc

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...le_cars/5.html

http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...-miles-on.html
trini_per4mance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #111
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini_per4mance View Post
In addition to my above repairs. I recently replaced my outer tie rod ends this wkd gone @ 558,675 miles. My next repair is going to be my valve seals in preparation for the turbo kit. I plan on running 6-7lbs on the stock internals and ECU and fuel system with 558,000+ miles on them.

Tremendous!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #112
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:

You're alive! Good to hear from you man. Looks like you barely drive it anymore.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #113
lupetnen
scph/jdmuph

Drives: toyota vios ncp42
he is alive please keep inspiring us with your thread sir :)
lupetnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:26 AM   #114
trini_per4mance

Thanks for the support guys!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #115
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Sent you a pm

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #116
contraband831
El Huevo

Oh shit he is going turbo at 550K that's crazy awesome, cant wait to see this.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #117
trini_per4mance

I have everything for the project. The only thing I'm missing is time. I simply don't have the time to install everything.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #118
iA_b4_07HB

Drives: 2017 iA
Interesting observation: "I was stunned to find that a car with dozens of different drivers each with their own individual bad habits, each under pressure to be on time had managed to last just as long as the ones personally owned and cared for by my employees."

I'm interested in getting a 2017 Yaris L 4 door from Hertz Car Sales. I'm worried that as a former rental, it may have been abused - driver's door slammed too many times, aggressively driven when cold, missed oil changes, wrong oil from Firestone/Goodyear/Sears (Hertz tells me that those are their oil change/maintenance subcontractors), even stripped oil pan threads. Hertz says they schedule their rentals for 3,000 mile oil changes since they consider rental use to be "severe service cycle" and I'd be ok if they let it slide out to 5,000 miles and occasionally even 7,500 miles but I'm worried about them blowing it out to 12k miles.

Any tips on whether a rental Yaris would be ok, and what to look for>

A new Yaris L 4 door auto goes for about $18,000. A 1 year old rental goes for $12,500 - a huge difference, and most of the "fresh" (1 year or less old) rentals are under 15,000 miles. I think this is just due to Hertz adjusting its inventory due to the shift to compact SUV's in the general car market.

At $12.5k the Yaris is very appealing. I have the iA, but that's really a Mazda2, and while Skyactiv tech is amazingly good, I don't think it's been proven the way the "lower tech" of the French Yaris has been. Also, I really like the rear room and seats on the "real" Yaris (the hatchback), they are higher than the front seat so the rear seat passenger has the ability to look out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
That's true, there were about 15 other Yaris over 350,000miles where I bought mine. At 445,000 literally the only things changed had been the motor(they had an on-site mechanic that traded labor for rent so it was cheaper than parts) brakes and fluids.

There were 600,000 mile Echos that were still in service.

In the courier industry Toyota is the go-to for a reason. These high mileages often surprise people, those of us that drive for a living are used to seeing 500,000 mile vehicles quite often. One thing that did surprise me about the Yaris however, these specific cars were company owned and driven by employees. As you can imagine people don't exactly treat their work cars like their personal vehicles...surprise surprise. Given that, I was stunned to find that a car with dozens of different drivers each with their own individual bad habits, each under pressure to be on time had managed to last just as long as the ones personally owned and cared for by my employees. There is something to be said for a car that can take on just about any driver and still be reliable after a half-million miles or more.
iA_b4_07HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #119
iA_b4_07HB

I think if you can DIY it makes a huge difference to buying and ownership patterns. For example, it cost me $500 from a Mini dealer just to replace front pads and surface the rotors - no rear work, no brake fluid flush and replace. That's absurd. Even on a Mini the parts are cheap, the labor is high. So my usual habit is to change cars every 3 years or whenever the basic warranty runs out. I don't feel secure about "surprise repairs" and "repair bill shock" after that. Almost any of the repairs the 500k driver mentions would have been a huge repair expense for me, plus when dealers and repair shops think they can charge $300-$500 for a phantom "30k maintenance package" how much do you think they would charge for REAL work and how well would it be done?

The only ways to control repair and maintenance costs are to get cars with some free maintenance up front (Chevy - 2 years or 24k, Toyota 2 years or 25k, Mini 3/36) or buy from a manufacturers certified program with a "renewed" warranty. Or, DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenprintr View Post
Don't mean to be negative. If you add up all the things he did just past 400,000 miles. Those of us who are unable to fix them ourselves, would just buy a new car.

500,000 is a lot. It took me 13 years to get over 300,000 on my Camry. I drive about 100 miles a day now.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #120
iA_b4_07HB

I think the filter quality might be the limiting factor. An OEM Toyota filter was "designed" to go 7,500 miles between oil changes (because back then Toyota thought 7,500 mile conventional oil changes were ok). Now it's not certain what filter life Toyota has in mind - on older models with 5k intervals, I'm sure they didn't lower the materials or specs on their filters. Then again on newer models with full synthetic specified - with resultant 10k oil change intervals - I doubt they redesigned the filters upwards.

So in short I think between 7.5k and 10k with full synthetic should have been fine.

But why experiment extending the oil change interval when gas is (relatively) expensive and jugs of full synthetic from Walmart are (relatively) cheap.

What's funny is the "leftover" jug oil (or "quart" bottle oil, for that matter never goes to waste. For me, it's hard to store because I only drive about 8k per year. For him, pouring the leftover into one of his jugs will fill it up...before I even get to my next oil change. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
He seemed to maintain/replace things prematurely. Like replacing his synthetic oil every 2 weeks. Total waste of money. If you're driving 5,000 highway miles every 2 weeks or so, you could run synthetic for 15,000-20,000 miles and it would come out nearly as clean as new.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #121
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by iA_b4_07HB View Post

A new Yaris L 4 door auto goes for about $18,000. A 1 year old rental goes for $12,500 - a huge difference, and most of the "fresh" (1 year or less old) rentals are under 15,000 miles. I think this is just due to Hertz adjusting its inventory due to the shift to compact SUV's in the general car market.

At $12.5k the Yaris is very appealing. I have the iA, but that's really a Mazda2, and while Skyactiv tech is amazingly good, I don't think it's been proven the way the "lower tech" of the French Yaris has been. Also, I really like the rear room and seats on the "real" Yaris (the hatchback), they are higher than the front seat so the rear seat passenger has the ability to look out.
Umm, you're way off on the price. $18k would be an SE 5-door. I'm sure you can get an L 5-door for $16k or less since they're slow sellers. Unless they've gone up since I used to sell Toyotas, but I've only been gone since July. With that said, you can probably find a better monthly payment (despite it costing more) with a Corolla LE and have more features, more power, better mpg, and safer.

I personally wouldn't ever buy a prior rental. Shoot, I've rented a couple of cars that had under 3k miles on them and the alignment was already off. Piss-poor gas was probably used in them, conventional oil instead of synthetic (which all new Toyotas use), etc, etc.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #122
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
I have everything for the project. The only thing I'm missing is time. I simply don't have the time to install everything.

This thread adds to my belief that the Yaris is the new VW Beetle. Is this car still alive? (Hope so).
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #123
trini_per4mance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
This thread adds to my belief that the Yaris is the new VW Beetle. Is this car still alive? (Hope so).
Yes, it actually has 570,000 miles on it now and still going strong.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 05-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #124
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Gilroy Yaris Toyota east coast salt calcium chloride madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
I work in Gilroy I'm at around 315k, the list of repairs on this car has been minimal: Alternator, accessory belt, radiator fan, a few sets of plugs and fuel filter. Its got plenty of clunks and squeaks. My car has light mods, lowered since 1k (spring then coilovers), air intake and exhaust.
My absolutely red Gilroy-dealer Yaris apparently never saw a drop of rain or particle of salt until a skater/BMX camp counselor drove it east a couple summers ago @ about 135k miles. I first went to see it w/ a set of ramps and found cars had paint in places I never imagined.

Took a couple weeks to close the deal, and only then did I first notice that about half the clear coat was gone from the roof and window pillars.

(Got a bottle of green "Corrosion Block" from a Florida company and squirt all the visible seams on summer-winter wheel swaps...stuff might actually BE functional snake oil. It smells OK.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #125
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Yes, it actually has 570,000 miles on it now and still going strong.

To think my 06 has only just done 150,000.

Any repairs since last update?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #126
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
212k miles on a 07 sedan up here in the Northeast of the USA. Still passes inspection with the airbag and ABS lights on, and I have no intention of repairing either. The Airbag light mysteriously came on at 200k miles, and my ABS was acting funny (all signs point towards bad ABS sensor), so I just pulled the ABS fuse. Electively driving without either feature. Still on the stock clutch. Motor runs great, doesn’t burn a drop of oil.
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote