Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
MsRaphy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Stock Stereo making CRACKING sound

I got into an accident back in January on my birthday.. A car hit me from the back which bent in my body frame and made the trunk unable to close.. It's finally got repaired after two months in the shop.. After the accident I noticed there were some cracking sound in the stereo if i am playing the CDs and when I raise the volume over 30 or 40.. the volume is messed up at number 62 (MAX) sound like it is in the volume range 30. After getting my car back, it got worse and it does the same thing when I plug in my iPhone as well.. I don't know how to fix it at all or know what going on with it.. I would like to also include that I did have a 12 inches speaker in the back with my amp.. Before I went somewhere for my birthday, I took out the speaker in the trunk because it won't stop moving around (It wasn't nail in yet) I was so glad the speaker wasnt there when i got into the accident thou.. PLEASE if someone know what to do please please help me.. I drive from PA to NYC every weekend (2 hours drive)and it suck not being able to hear music anymore
MsRaphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
MsRaphy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Also would like to add that I have 07 Toyota Yaris Sedan with a stock stereo..
MsRaphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
the cracking is mostly likely a bad electrical connection in the signal chain somewhere. It could be a speaker wire that is fractured, but stays together except for when it is bumped/rattled, or it could be a solder joint in your deck... or a hundred other things.

the other likely culprit would be one of the speakers dying. To check for this, go to the settings controls on the deck, and set it so that only one speaker plays at a time and then listen for the crackling sound while playing music. The way to set it to play only 1 speaker is to use both the Fader & Balance options. Fader will allow you to choose front or back, and the Balance is Left or Right.

I'd start off by setting fader all the way to the front, then balance all the way to the right. Listen, then change balance all the way to the left. listen

Then change fader all the way to the rear/back, listen, then adjust balance all the way to the right and listen.

if it is a speaker issue, it most likely will only be a problem with one speaker. if you hear the noise on more than one speaker, it's probably something to do with the deck, or any other piece of audio electronics that comes before the speaker (like an amplifier).