Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
kristan

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 Door CE
Unhappy Newly installed 15" tires feel 'weird'

Hi everyone, i know very little about all this car stuff so any help is appreciated. I recently purchased some new 15 inch all season tires with rims. I had been using 14 inch summer winter tires.

I was expecting the handling of the car to feel so much better with the new summer tires but it actually feels worse! I remember switching from my old summer tires (14") to the winter tires and the winter tires made my Yaris feel like a tank. These new summer tires made my winter tires feel like racing tires.

Here's what it feels like:
-car really does not want to go more than 100 Kph (62 MPH)
-i feel i'm having to press the gas pedal more to get the same speeds, especially on the highway
-the steering wheel is much harder to turn
-acceleration is worse

I've had a number of of opinions from the tire shop and my local toyota dealer:

Tire shop:
-the tires are good quality, it's not the tires
-the 15" wheels might be too big, too heavy
-nothing wrong with the balancing (checked twice)

Toyota:
-Tires are good quality
-15" tires are fine
-might just have to get used to a different feel
-bring the car in and we'll take a test drive with you

My car is no longer enjoyable to drive and i feel like i might be doing damage. Anyone have any ideas? Is this something that i have just get used to? Is this what is expected when you switch from 14" tires to 15" tires?

Thanks,

K
kristan is offline   Reply With Quote