Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
revolution

Drives: 2009 JDM Toyota Vitz
Pioneer Split System for Rear

Hi,
I have a Pioneer Split System installed in the front of my RS, with the Mid-Range in the factory door location and the tweeter in the factory pillar location. I really need to put speakers in the rear, but i don't want to cut the rear parcel shelf as it looks really amateurish!

My question is, if i buy another Split System, can i mount the Mid-Range in the Rear Door? The door itself has the mounts for it, but the door-panel cover doesn't have a speaker grille, it has the cup holder instead. Does the Mid-Range on a Split System need to have a speaker grille or will it still sound OK even if its covered by the door panel and the tweeter is mounted in the cabin somewhere....
Keyless-Go,8 Airbags, Pioneer AVH-P4150DVD, Reverse Camera, Nokia Bluetooth Kit, Pioneer 6.5" 230W Split System in Front, 6000K HIDs in Headlamps, 6000K HIDs in Foglamps, Afe Intake, 17" Advanti Toro Rosso Alloys with 205/45/17 Yokohama R1 Tyres, 40mm Modellista Lowering Springs...
revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
revolution

Feeling really stupid!

So boredom kicked in today and i cut the rear shelf to start fitting the Split System to the rear... Needless to say i only got as far as fitting the mids, and then thought to myself, Oh Shyte! Not happy with it at all, the mids stand out like sore thumbs on that rear shelf, should never have cut it!

So, if anyone has a rear parcel shelf they want to sell, PM me coz i really wanna get another and then start hunting for the rear door panels for the 4-door liftback that have the speaker placement - the JDM Vitz RS like mine doesn't have em, they put in some stupid magazine slots!!!
Keyless-Go,8 Airbags, Pioneer AVH-P4150DVD, Reverse Camera, Nokia Bluetooth Kit, Pioneer 6.5" 230W Split System in Front, 6000K HIDs in Headlamps, 6000K HIDs in Foglamps, Afe Intake, 17" Advanti Toro Rosso Alloys with 205/45/17 Yokohama R1 Tyres, 40mm Modellista Lowering Springs...
Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
What is a split system?

D.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
revolution

A Split System is Speaker System where the tweeter is provided separate to your mid-range speaker. A crossover then splits the sound from your radio so that the mid and bass goes to the mid-range speaker in your door, and directs all the treble to your tweeter which is mounted higher up in your pillar, etc...

Last edited by revolution; 06-26-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Bar_Red_Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution View Post
A Split System is Speaker System where the tweeter is provided separate to your mid-range speaker. A crossover then splits the sound from your radio so that the mid and bass goes to the mid-range speaker in your day, and directs all the treble to your tweeter which is mounted higher up in your pillar, etc...
Back in the states that's better known as "component speakers" (comps/components)
Bar_Red_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution View Post
A Split System is Speaker System where the tweeter is provided separate to your mid-range speaker. A crossover then splits the sound from your radio so that the mid and bass goes to the mid-range speaker in your door, and directs all the treble to your tweeter which is mounted higher up in your pillar, etc...
Got it!

Components with a passive x-over!

I don't use passive x-overs any more. (o:

"Does the Mid-Range on a Split System need to have a speaker grille or will it still sound OK even if its covered by the door panel"

As long as you don't cover the tweeter with a grill the Mid/bass speaker will be fine even with stock location in the panel.

D.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Got it!

Components with a passive x-over!

I don't use passive x-overs any more. (o:

"Does the Mid-Range on a Split System need to have a speaker grille or will it still sound OK even if its covered by the door panel"

As long as you don't cover the tweeter with a grill the Mid/bass speaker will be fine even with stock location in the panel.

D.
Actually, I think you read that wrong. The way I read it, he's asking if he can put the mid-range speaker behind the solid plastic door panel. If that's the case, then NO, that's NOT ok. The speakers needs those "holes" in the speaker grille to let the sound pass through. So if you put a speaker behind a solid plastic door panel, you won't hear much.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Actually, I think you read that wrong. The way I read it, he's asking if he can put the mid-range speaker behind the solid plastic door panel. If that's the case, then NO, that's NOT ok. The speakers needs those "holes" in the speaker grille to let the sound pass through. So if you put a speaker behind a solid plastic door panel, you won't hear much.
LOL... Yeah!
my mistake jeje Spanish would be easier for me
If that's the case sounds like a stupid question... don't you think?
sorry again!

D.