Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Well done , now sit back and enjoy the mods to come
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
They changed my contract after I had already had the car for a few days. I was OK with it though cause it ended up saving me money too. Good job on getting the extra warranty at no charge.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Reporting it to the BBB does sound like a good idea because what they're tryin' to pull just isn't right. It's also a great idea to go to bank and try to get the car re-financed. This way TFS or TMCC can't mess with you since you would no longer have a loan account with them, and it would change the loan terms of the remaining balance for the better, mainly the interest rate and to a lesser degree the pay-off date. Bought mine back in May and had a payment of $203/month for 7 years with TFS (after I managed to talk my way down from $275/month, which just wasn't gonna happen). Ran to my bank to re-fi it 2 months ago and now my payment is $185/month for 6 years. Makes a big difference! For those who are looking to buy a new car, I strongly suggest that you don't make the same mistake I did and go with the dealer's finance company first! Go to the bank to see if you can get approval before resorting to the dealer. Dealers will always try to screw you over, so do your research and don't give in! Hope this helps.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #22
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I went to the dealer and informed them that I had my own financing through my credit union.They ended up beating the CU's rate by a hair. Doing this also removed monthly payments off the negotiation table. I simply told the salesman that there were only two figures I needed to see- the selling price of the Yaris and the trade in offer.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #23
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Well, I went back to the dealer this afternoon after first stopping by the DMV across the street from the dealer. The people at the DMV said that I have to accept the new terms of the financing or my registration won't be transferred to the new Yaris. The dealer wouldn't give me the green sleep to do it.

Anyway, I save a couple of hundred with the new financing. $310 a month for 66 months. Right before signing the new sheet, I asked them if they could throw in an extended warranty at no extra charge since they caused me this inconvenience.

They ended up giving me a Toyota Extra Care Gold plan for 6 years / 75000 miles at no extra charge. That's pretty good for me. I owned my previous 3-door LB for 2 years and only had 17.5k miles on it. I'm also getting a refund on the GAP and extended warranty I bought for the previous LB and I don't start paying until mid January.
Great job on negotiating! You turned a bad situatition into a win/win.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Well done, ser! ^5
Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #25
Chubbster

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan S
I had this same thing just happen to me. Last Saturday, my husband and I went to the Toyota dealership and I fell in love with a Yaris. We walked out with a 2008 Yaris and payments of $297/month for 72 months. We also had purchased the extended warranty, gap, and oil change/maintenance service.

About 4 days later I receive a call from the dealership telling me that we were approved but not under the same terms and we had to go back in. I did not know we were subject to approval and thought that when we signed the papers and left everything was finalized. They never told us that we were subject to approval. So when we got off the phone we were livid. We went to the dealership and they told us that we had to have a higher interest rate increasing payments to $324/month. After much talking they said they could get it to $315/month. I know it's only $18 more a month, but it's the principle. I never heard of this practice before. We told them we would go get something to eat to talk about it and come back in a few hours.

We decided that if we couldn't get what we were originally approved for then we would go elsewhere. So we went back and handed them the keys. Not 2 minutes later we get a call from the dealership asking us to come back. They said that they couldn't get us a lower rate but they could lower the payments by giving us the extended warranty, gap, and maintenance at cost. We walked out at $296/month, a dollar less than original.
Chubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #26
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It's a buyers market. Glad to see you take advantage.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #27
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
well done i hope you get a lot of pleasure from your new yaris,
and thank you on behalf of all the members here in posting this out come,
for all to see
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #28
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
They needed you to buy the car more than they needed the car back on the lot unsold. Good on you for standing your ground, you ended up calling their bluff.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #29
oilman930

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Hatchback
The dealership sold you a car using the technique called a "spot sale". This practice is illegal in in few states because of the problems that you ran into.

While the dealership ran a credit check on you for the two hours that you were at the dealership, that isn't enough time for the banks that deal with the dealership to run your credit and come back with the proper term for a loan.

I am glad you were able to work it out with the dealership. A word of advice for anyone who wants to buy a any car from the dealership. They should expect to wait anywhere from 5 to 7 days from the time of picking out the car to actually driving it off the lot. Just to make sure that all the paper work is done properly and that all the terms of the loan are worked out by the bank.

Enjoy your new car.
oilman930 is offline   Reply With Quote