Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
Just got a used Yaris. Some help with the small things

Hello everyone,

I have spent the last bit trying to search for info on things I want to fix in the little car we got this weekend.

I just got a 2009 Yaris (metalic white with power options). Bought the car used and was a pretty good deal. The engine checked out fine and there were no accidents on this car and it wasn't a rebult.

HOWEVER there were a few things that helped to make the price lower such and dings and dents on the car (not a big deal to me)

Things I need help with

1) the top 2 center dials (fan control and fan type such as vent or windshild) and the letters on the shifter don't light up. The last of the three center dials for heat or cold glow dimley. I have checked the fuze box for the instrament cluster and it seems to be fine.

Do the lights burn out on these things? If I press the AC button it lights and so does the rear defroster button.

2) there seems to be a part missing just in front of the stock air intake. There is the stock air intake with filter then the pipe goes down and a stiff plastic hose comes back up but doesn't attach to anything. Am I missing a part?

3) Only the driver's side seat and seat belt are worn (it was a fleet vechile at one point so I amy replace the sat belts but is that a big job?

4) Where can I get the colour code for the metalic/pearl white? I need to do some small touch ups.

Other then that the car is great but any help with the small things would be great.
rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
1. Check the PANEL1 fuse in the fuse box that is under the bottom of the dash board (look up from the floor, just behind the hood release lever).

2. That is fine - the U-tube just raises the level of where air is sucked from to prevent the car from hydrolocking when driving through deep puddles.

3. Replacing a seatbelt is pretty easy (on bolt under the plastic cover at the top of the b-pillar and two under the bottom of the b-pillar cover), but they are pretty expensive, because they contain the pretensioner, which explosively pulls the person aganist the seat when the airbag fires.

4. 070 Blizzard Pearl
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
rcvmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
1. Check the PANEL1 fuse in the fuse box that is under the bottom of the dash board (look up from the floor, just behind the hood release lever).

2. That is fine - the U-tube just raises the level of where air is sucked from to prevent the car from hydrolocking when driving through deep puddles.

3. Replacing a seatbelt is pretty easy (on bolt under the plastic cover at the top of the b-pillar and two under the bottom of the b-pillar cover), but they are pretty expensive, because they contain the pretensioner, which explosively pulls the person aganist the seat when the airbag fires.

4. 070 Blizzard Pearl
Hey Thanks again for the quick reply. I actually really appricate the support on this.

The utube makes me feel better cause i was like "WTF" is a part missing?! but couldn't figure out what would go there. strange that its behind the air filter.

If the seatbelt is expensive I'll just live with it. The other one is perfect but this one is just a little frayed at the edges for about 1 ft. If thats the case I'll just buy those oh-so-rice-cool seat belt cushions (have them for my mini too) as I don't want to mess with the pretensioners.

I'll checked both fuse panels but I checked the 2 fuse so i'll look again at the panel 1

Seems like this car had some security lights or equipment on it when it was a fleet car so it looks like they had to take off a bunch of electrical equipment and that could have meant some wires got cut on the uninstall.

Anyways I'll have a look again and report back.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
Good luck with the new purchase and it looks like it wasn't a bad deal after all and welcome!!
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
rcvmini

I just checked the panel 1 fuse and it is fine. So at this point my two dials still don't light up and neither does the gears on the sfter.

Maybe its time to open them up and see if the bulbs are gone?

*** also missing a button on top of the P (parking) position on the sifter knob. what does it do? looks like this link bellow but is missing the button itself

http://www.google.ca/imgres?sa=X&rls...9,r:1,s:0,i:82
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post
I just checked the panel 1 fuse and it is fine. So at this point my two dials still don't light up and neither does the gears on the sfter.

Maybe its time to open them up and see if the bulbs are gone?

*** also missing a button on top of the P (parking) position on the sifter knob. what does it do? looks like this link bellow but is missing the button itself

That little button is for moving the shifter when the battery is dead, or you don't have the key for the car.

One other thing to check for those lights is if the dimmer rheostat is turned down all the way.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
rcvmini

Quote:
That little button is for moving the shifter when the battery is dead, or you don't have the key for the car.

One other thing to check for those lights is if the dimmer rheostat is turned down all the way.
CTScott - once again thanks. The sifter button can still be pressed its just missing the black top for it.

As for the lights I turn it all the way up and the lights on the dash (speedo etc) light up brighter but no lights on the dial. I think when I get a chance this week I'll open up the panel and see if I can replace the lightbulbs.

*** NEW thing I noticed however is when the car is idling the entire center speedo display and the cabin lights (if on) will pulse..... should I be worried? I hear a bit of squealing for about 1-2 seconds when I turn the ignition could that be causing it?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTScott - once again thanks. The sifter button can still be pressed its just missing the black top for it.

As for the lights I turn it all the way up and the lights on the dash (speedo etc) light up brighter but no lights on the dial. I think when I get a chance this week I'll open up the panel and see if I can replace the lightbulbs.

*** NEW thing I noticed however is when the car is idling the entire center speedo display and the cabin lights (if on) will pulse..... should I be worried? I hear a bit of squealing for about 1-2 seconds when I turn the ignition could that be causing it?
Sounds like the serpentine belt is loose and possible loose enough to be causing the alternator output to not be stable.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
rcvmini

Quote:
Sounds like the serpentine belt is loose and possible loose enough to be causing the alternator output to not be stable.
Thought it might be something like that. Is that something I can adjust myself? or maybe its time for a new belt? I'll have a look and see the condition of the belt
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thought it might be something like that. Is that something I can adjust myself? or maybe its time for a new belt? I'll have a look and see the condition of the belt
If you run for any period of time with a loose belt it becomes glazed, so your best bet is to simply replace it. They Yaris is pretty easy to change the belt on. The only potential gotcha's are being careful not to apply pressure against the oil control valve (located on the block behind the alternator) when tensioning the belt and watching out for the bottom 14mm bolt of the alternator to be corroded stuck and have it snap when loosening it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
rcvmini

CTScott - Ok thanks again for the tips. Hope to return the favor someday so if you ever need help hacking/modding/unlocking a cell phone/tablet let me know
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTScott - Ok thanks again for the tips. Hope to return the favor someday so if you ever need help hacking/modding/unlocking a cell phone/tablet let me know
By the way, with the belt, avoid Dayco belts as they tend to be very squealy no matter how much you tighten them. I used one on my 08 last year (only because it was the only one I could find in stock locally the day I was doing it), and it has been a nightmare from about the third month. I have retightened it 3 times and still never got it to stop.

I finally picked up a Napa branded Gates belt recently and it is so much better. Gates are my personal favorite belt-wise.