Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
nbays1

Drives: 2007 yaris 3d
Assuming the line you're seeing goes from the left to right side of the screen in the middle (horizantal line in middle of screen) it sounds like the horizontal deflection circut has failed. There are many reasons this could happen, below is one of the most common causes, and it's the easiest to repair.

<Do not attempt this unless you know what you're getting into. CRT's are like a big capacitor and hold an electric charge for a long time. If you poke around in the wrong place you could shock the $#!t out of yourself even if the TV is unplugged. I am not responsible if you injure or kill yourself.>

Turn the TV on it's side, and plug it in, then turn it on. With the handle end of a standard sized screwdriver, tap around on the bottom of the TV's chassis. If the picture tries to go back to normal, even for a brief moment, then the set probably has some bad soldier joints.
Now, if you, or one of your friends is knowledgeable in electronics, i'd suggest opening the TV up (unplug it first obviously) and inspecting the soldier in the vacinity of the flyback transformer, and associated power supply circuts. Cracked & decayed soldier is one of the most common failures in old CRT TV's. Probably the biggest telltale sign to look for is discolorations in the main board caused by heat. Power supplies generate lots of heat, and this heat, as well as the cooling when you turn the TV off is a large contributing reason the soldier connections decay.

Re-soldier any obvious bad or questionable soldier joints, put the set back together, and try it out..
nbays1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbays1 View Post
Assuming the line you're seeing goes from the left to right side of the screen in the middle (horizantal line in middle of screen) it sounds like the horizontal deflection circut has failed. There are many reasons this could happen, below is one of the most common causes, and it's the easiest to repair.

<Do not attempt this unless you know what you're getting into. CRT's are like a big capacitor and hold an electric charge for a long time. If you poke around in the wrong place you could shock the $#!t out of yourself even if the TV is unplugged. I am not responsible if you injure or kill yourself.>

Turn the TV on it's side, and plug it in, then turn it on. With the handle end of a standard sized screwdriver, tap around on the bottom of the TV's chassis. If the picture tries to go back to normal, even for a brief moment, then the set probably has some bad soldier joints.
Now, if you, or one of your friends is knowledgeable in electronics, i'd suggest opening the TV up (unplug it first obviously) and inspecting the soldier in the vacinity of the flyback transformer, and associated power supply circuts. Cracked & decayed soldier is one of the most common failures in old CRT TV's. Probably the biggest telltale sign to look for is discolorations in the main board caused by heat. Power supplies generate lots of heat, and this heat, as well as the cooling when you turn the TV off is a large contributing reason the soldier connections decay.

Re-soldier any obvious bad or questionable soldier joints, put the set back together, and try it out..
I dont think he is gonna be able to do dat
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #21
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
yeah no.....problem fixed...I'm now watchin' cable and DVD's(blu-rays are a givin') all in HD.....now if only my PS3 chargin' cable stretch a tad bit further to my bed, it'd be all good

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote