Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Are Body-Side Moldings Effective?

Tucson dealer has several Yaris with body-side moldings that are not factory by added by local, aftermarket outfit. Moldings are color-matched and fit Yaris very well. Don't see many yari with moldings, so wondering how effective in preventing nicks/scratches.
Anyone have moldings? Do they 'work?'
Thanks--
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
DIPLOMATIC
LIGHTS OUT

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwash View Post
Tucson dealer has several Yaris with body-side moldings that are not factory by added by local, aftermarket outfit. Moldings are color-matched and fit Yaris very well. Don't see many yari with moldings, so wondering how effective in preventing nicks/scratches.
Anyone have moldings? Do they 'work?'
Thanks--
I would strongly advise getting a Yaris with one. I do not have them because I am not in many situations where I hit my door on anything parking (I live in the country) and I am also to cheap to do it. However, if you have the money I would do it. My dad works in the city and he said there is many times he wishes that his Yaris had the molding to avoid scratches and paint chips.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
The theory of side moulding would be good if all cars were the same height . One day you will park next to a bus (SUV) and the door of the bus will be above the moulding . Then the next day you will park next to a Lotus and the door of the Lotus will be below the moulding . But hey , you could get lucky and park between 2 Yari that also have moulding .

Do like I do and only park in the corner next to the wall with the passenger side about 1' away from the wall . This technique should give you plenty of room so that your Yaris won't get dinged .
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
My dealership didn't offer them so I measured ones on a VW Rabbit and ordered them. I had to cut off the alignment nubs. It came with adhesive tape already attached. When I was done it looked like it could have been designed for the car. I like the tapered look.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
My dealership didn't offer them so I measured the dark gray ones on a VW Rabbit and ordered them. I had to cut off the alignment nubs. It came with adhesive tape already attached. When I was done it looked like it could have been designed for the car. I like the tapered look.
Pictures?
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Sandwash

Side-moldings

thanks for comments. yes, nothing perfect but moldings would probably offer 'protection' in many situations - but not all situations:bow--
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
Pictures?

I agree....pics would be nice.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
One thing they might do is retain water up along side the body of the car. This can lead to rust. The body molding on my 79 240D promoted rust holes through the fenders and I had to replace them. That, and in a few years they will deteriorate in appearance quite severely.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
no.. but thats just me..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Save your money. Park far away and use your brain when you open your door.
I had about 300,000 kl. on my Talon when it was retired. Not a ding on it. It pays to park far from the mall and walk a few extra feet. Also, park beside a nice car. It's owner cares not to bash metal. Stay away from soccer-mom vehicles. Kids don't care and aren't strong enough to hold the door if caught by the wind.
Chances are any moulding will be at the wrong level to protect from the careless animals who park beside you. Pick'em up trucks, SUV's and mini-vans doors are more likely to cream your mirrors.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
hallelujah..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Sandwash

Thanks, again, for reasons to think twice about moldings. In addition to ineffectiveness from varying heights of vehicles, the likelihood of moldings showing their weathered-age compared to metal body pretty compelling.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
They might be functional, but the car is harder to clean, and in my opinion, they pretty much look terrible.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This has been an informative thread. I was seriously thinking about getting a set for mine, as I now have a door ding on either side, but based on the cons, I won't.

I am very cautious about where I park. Both of my dings came from the same parking lot - At my daughter's dance class. The parking spaces are narrower than typical, and all of the soccer moms, who can't park their family trucksters make it even worse. Even the ones with the Porsche Cayennes will park two inches away from the next car and whap their door into it. After the second ding appeared, I started parking in the next lot over (to avoid being arrested for beating someone to death with part of their roof rack)...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
This has been an informative thread. I was seriously thinking about getting a set for mine, as I now have a door ding on either side, but based on the cons, I won't.

I am very cautious about where I park. Both of my dings came from the same parking lot - At my daughter's dance class. The parking spaces are narrower than typical, and all of the soccer moms, who can't park their family trucksters make it even worse. Even the ones with the Porsche Cayennes will park two inches away from the next car and whap their door into it. After the second ding appeared, I started parking in the next lot over (to avoid being arrested for beating someone to death with part of their roof rack)...
just take Crashy next time... I'll bet you NOBODY will park on either side :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive started parking like weeyari does

just park crooked in regular spots.

people are don't like parking beside someone who looks like they cant drive, lol. typically there is a TON of room in the spot for a yaris - - even crooked
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
lol
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #18
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
ive started parking like weeyari does

just park crooked in regular spots.

people are don't like parking beside someone who looks like they cant drive, lol. typically there is a TON of room in the spot for a yaris - - even crooked
Yes! Park like a drunk (or someone who's texting).

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote