Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
chattersking

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan (Auto)
Unhappy Transmission Fluid - My car is ruined - help

Toyota Yaris 2008 Auto with 60000 Kilometres. Toyota dealer asked $235 for transmission oil change. On craigslist found somebody willing to do it for $85. The guy drained and filled with about 3 litres of "CASTROL MULTI VEHICLE IMPORT ATF"
Now when Im reading on this site it says that I should only use "GENUINE TOYOTA ATF WS".
Eventhough my car seems to be running fine and didnt see any difference Im extremely worried that I may have used the wrong oil and ruined my transmission. When I called back the guy he says that oil is compatible with all toyota/honda other cars and should be no problem. I know that I should have gone to toyota dealership and get it done there but I was just trying to save some money :( had I known that I should have only used the Genuine toyota atf ws oil I would have never went to this guy.
Im extremely worried that I might have ruined my car and dont know what should i do, i cant even type properly because my hands are shaking. I have spent a lot of my hard earned money to buy this car and plan to keep it for a long time and dont want to damage it.

Please advise what should I do.
chattersking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
lowsushi
Akiba Otaku

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr
Send a message via AIM to lowsushi Send a message via Yahoo to lowsushi
I would call a local dealership and ask them just to see what they say. If you know the brand he used try to look up their website and see if there is any info too.

Sorry I can't help more, best of luck.

PS3 Trophies
lowsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I'm pretty sure you're fine! Car manufacturers will always say to use "genuine" OEM products.

Anybody more expert than me want to comment as to the compatibility of these two fluids?

BTW, what's the recommended change interval for ATF?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
chattersking

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan (Auto)
according to castrol website it is compatible with Toyota, however i cannot understand what exactly is the difference between castrol atf and toyota atf ws. i really dont know what to do now because every google search im doing is giving my conflicting reports and freaking me out more.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028224
chattersking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Read your manual. It should be this:

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/TS-...luid%20%29.pdf

Which, by the way is posted right on this forum, too.

The Castrol is not compatible.

That said, I still wouldn't pay a dealer $235, just make sure who you hire is using the right product.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
your tranny is not ruined but you must go have it
machine-flushed with the full amount of proper fluid (way more than
can simply drain out) or you do risk damage
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
If I were in your position, I'd go get it changed to the Toyota ATF. Any local shop can do it, just bring your own fluid or see if the guy that initially did it will give you a break on putting the right stuff in if you buy the fluid. Any transmission is way to expensive to even think about taking a chance on messing around with-that and your piece of mind.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
You f'd up OP....you should have got the tranny machine flushed and refilled and at the proper temperature too.

You save a few dollars but are vulnerable to big dollars in repair cost. Therefore you saved NOTHING paying that idiot $85 do scam you.

Not too late!!! Just take it to another independent garage WITH the proper flusing machine and use GENUINE Toyota tranny fluid.

Do it ASAP...take off work and get this F-up resolved today. By the way, the Toyota dealership here in Orange County routinely mails out coupons for auto-tranny flushing and these ask only $120 for this service...also, not needed for your Yaris until 100,000+ miles.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
seeing as this was a DRAIN AND FILL only i say your OK. you could take it to a toyota dealer and get the COMPLETE flush(15 quarts of WS) to be safe or just run it like it is.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
seeing as this was a DRAIN AND FILL only i say your OK. you could take it to a toyota dealer and get the COMPLETE flush(15 quarts of WS) to be safe or just run it like it is.....
I strongly disagree....drain and flush will not remove all the particulates....his tranny really needs to be flushed for longevity, and using the wrong fluid is just plain wrong. No need to go to a Toy stealership either....better to go to an independent garage, and shop around for price and procedures first, making sure they use Genuine Toy WS fluid...this is what I'd do if I want the tranny to last 250k or more miles.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Did you guys miss the part where he states his tranny is already ruined?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Did you guys miss the part where he states his tranny is already ruined?
You need to learn to read! ;-)

He never said the tranny was ruined. He is worried that it might be ruined...big diff, yea?!? lol
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
You need to learn to read! ;-)

He never said the tranny was ruined. He is worried that it might be ruined...big diff, yea?!? lol
O sry. Btw, it says MY CAR IS RUINED in his title. Thats all I had the attention span to read. MY ADDHD DHDHDHD is in full effectx today.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
I strongly disagree....drain and flush will not remove all the particulates....his tranny really needs to be flushed for longevity, and using the wrong fluid is just plain wrong. No need to go to a Toy stealership either....better to go to an independent garage, and shop around for price and procedures first, making sure they use Genuine Toy WS fluid...this is what I'd do if I want the tranny to last 250k or more miles.
disagree with the COMPLETE FLUSH suggestion?

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Castrol ATF is not compatable with the new world atf our yaris have. If it was a older toyota yes. But not ours. Even if it was your not supose to drain and refil our type of transmission. Only 100 percent exchange according to toyota. You can not reuse any of the old fluid its not compatable to mix old with new. Why i dont know you probally could be okay.

But either way you look at it your only option is to now take it to toyota and have them do a complete flush of the system. Which is probally why it was costing 235. Which is not untirely unreasonable. Since our systems can take as much as 15 quarts sometimes more of transmision fluid. And i know its really expensive for the fluid. Around 10 bucks or more per quart. They have to disconect the lines from your transmission to the radiator and hook up the machine to evacuate all the fluid and put in fresh new.

I wouldnt worry about anything honestly since its such short term you should be okay. I was just get the flush the dealer was goign to perform. I would not mention anything about what you just did. They can try to hold it against you incase of any warrenty issues with the transmission incase it does fail. And guess what if it does fail shortly after it would be after they performed a transmission service heh.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Not to rub it in if you look at what you were getting, paying little over 200 is not a rip off but paying 80 bucks for what you got was a rip off. Just draining out and topping off 3 quarts of generic fluid. Its like you paid 80 bucks for a oil change but with no filter.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
disagree with the COMPLETE FLUSH suggestion?

exactly. it is not as though he got water in it, it is only the wrong ATF. the difference between ATF as WS is not so significant to require a rebuild or new clutch packs. just get it flushed once and go with it. maybe flush again in 30,000 to be sure. WS is lifetime stuff. ATF is not.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I've had dexron 7 in my transmission for like 20,000 miles or more now, which the dealer told me is not compatible.. my car runs fine

You can get a salvage tranny for the cost of 2 or 3 flushes. I wouldn't worry too much

oh and lifetime any fluid is a joke.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atf ws, transmission fluid, transmission oil, yaris