Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
2017 Subcompact Sales Summary

Yaris Liftback sales were down 20.2% from 2016 with a paltry 8,653 units sold.

Compare that to the Yaris iA, which was up 27.7% from '16 and moved 35,727 units.

You can find my subcompact sale summary here:
http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...s-summary.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Wow, I am so totally out-of-step with the automotive tastes of the US Market, lol.

On the subject of the Yaris hatch, I bet that less than 500 of those 8653 2017 Yaris hatchbacks sold were SE trim - meaning less than 10 per state on average for the year (lol). No wonder I NEVER see a 2015-2017 gen SE (or 2012-2014 SE for that matter) on the road around here. Heck, even the L/LE's are a very rare sight. I bet sales of the 2018 version Yaris hatch will be even worse. Toyota isn't willing to do what is necessary in the US market to make it a more popular choice, and non-crossover hatchback stigma continues to soldier on here in force.

I also assert that Toyota would have sold more of the iA & C-HR if they weren't so damn hideous to look at. I wonder if the IA is getting a refresh in 2019? That horrible trout-face really needs to go ASAP. It would also help if quality/build control at the iA/Mazda2 plant was better. I would hit the roof if my Yaris experienced some of the common problems that I have seen reported by a disturbing number of owners of the iA in their first 2 years of ownership.

Additional fun-fact(s):

2017 Toyota Corolla iM (hatch) sold in US = 16,151
2017 Toyota Corolla (sedan) sold in US = 249,122

Yet, the iM is a better car than the Corolla in every way (& still made in Japan! - unlike the Corolla). Go figure.

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-12-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I always have people who have no idea what my car is when they ride in it. Yaris hatch for life.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Kalispel

I don't see 2018 Yaris sales topping the dismal 2017 numbers. They are still almost non-existent on dealer lots, even though the 2018 has been out for about 3 months now. The same dozen or so SE's have been sitting for sale on sites like CarGurus & Autotrader for months. I haven't even seen a 2018 SE hit this region of the U.S. yet - just 3-4 L models total (all sitting unwanted on dealer lots still). It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota cancels the Yaris in the US market like it did the Matrix, after this refresh-gen is finished - especially now that they have a 'Corolla Hatch' in the form of the iM (which also isn't selling very well, despite being a great value for the $, and a better car than the much-much-better-selling Corolla sedan) - but the iM is due for global-platform next-gen version in 2019 I think. Should be an interesting few years coming up for Toyota (car) hatchbacks.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Like most Toyotas, the Yaris has morphed into such an ugly thing. Too bad, because it's really a great little car. I don't see the Yaris surviving in the US past this model year in present form.

As for the iM, it's a decent car. Unfortunately, Toyota America redesigned the front and rear and added stupid looking ground effects. Perhaps it would be more popular offered in basic trim without the add-ons... which would make the price even more attractive.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Like most Toyotas, the Yaris has morphed into such an ugly thing. Too bad, because it's really a great little car. I don't see the Yaris surviving in the US past this model year in present form.

As for the iM, it's a decent car. Unfortunately, Toyota America redesigned the front and rear and added stupid looking ground effects. Perhaps it would be more popular offered in basic trim without the add-ons... which would make the price even more attractive.
Based on what I have seen of the next-gen iM/Auris spy-shots taken in Southern California, it won't have the 'youth-appeal' ground-effects. Looks like it is trying for a more mature presence - though with that tarp covering it, who knows, lol. It does look like it has that big-mouth front grill like the 2015+ Yaris though...

Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
This may be good news, considering Toyota's CVT makes for a very disappointing driving experience:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...uris-spy-shots

"Toyota has announced new 8- and 10-speed automatic transmissions that will be coming to replace a number of 6-speed and CVT units it currently uses, and we could see one of them feature in the new Corolla iM."
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I'd have to agree. I don't know what Toyota are playing at recently. Their cars are more expensive. They are whacking all these stupid features on them. Trying to make them look all fancy (and failing). Toyota's are supposed to be plain looking, reasonably comfortable, functional and reliable workhorses.