Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
SMRFIN

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Plates?

Aloha!

I bought my hatchback ages ago and keep meaning to post... What a fun forum!
I'm learning a lot so far.

Anyway, I had this rockin' license plate for my Blazing Blue Yaris hatchback: SMRFIN. (I hope you can figure that one out. I'm not sure why I had to explain it to so many of my high school students.)

It's a cool plate and all, but imagine my surprise when I came out one morning to see it had been jacked! I mean, who goes around and steals license plates? My students explained that it was probably because it makes a drug reference (Smurfs live under mushrooms = 'shroomer.)

When I filed the police report, the officer said that he's done a LOT of missing plate complaints lately. In fact when I went in to get the replacement, I just showed the police report, paid five dollars, and they just handed me new plates. For some reason, they make you wait a month to get regular numbered plates, but if they're stolen, they magically have them right under the counter!

Anyone else had problems with stolen plates?
SMRFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
Where do you live btw? I think I've seen your car on the h1 once
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Welcome SMRFIN
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
A surfing smurf?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRFIN View Post
For some reason, they make you wait a month to get regular numbered plates, but if they're stolen, they magically have them right under the counter!
Thats pretty interesting...
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
hmm... so THEY are stealing them... too crafty. sounds like mexico.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
If they take the rear plate, they might be after the registration sticker. I've never lost plates, only registration stickers.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
SMRFIN

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Hey everybody.

Actually, they did only take the rear plate. The registration sticker makes sense, but I figured they had come around the front of the car and the security motion lights finally came on. (Stupid thing -- the landlady was so cheap she bought the one that you practically have to wave at before it triggers.) Is it that hard to take off the registration stickers that it would have been easier to take off the plate?

I hadn't thought about the license plate people having a racket going, but now that I think about it, I didn't really even have to finish the explanation before the cashier started ringing me up...

I love the "surfin' Smurf!"

Gwasabi, I live in town but commute to Leeward, so I'm ALWAYS "driving" on H1. Last month, I cracked up. I'm always on the look out for Stumpies (nickname for the blue Yaris hatch), and one day on the H1, there was one in every lane town bound -- all next to each other! Stumpies unite!
SMRFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
welcome aboard.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote