Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Whereas I strongly agree with the military option—mainly because it benefitted me so much—it doesn't sound like it's an option in this case. Still, there are other non-military government jobs you can apply for. With a degree in communication I would recommend the State Department as Strategic Communication (basically international diplomacy through information) but your skills could also have use in the Department of Defense, and I am not talking about marketing/recruiting but in what is now termed ‘Influence Operations.’

Be creative in your job search and you will be surprised at some of the doors that open up! Also, don’t think that your college degree is the end of your academic life; I have two grad degrees and numerous certificates that have been very beneficial in my career field. Remember, you are competing against everyone, and everything that you can do to distinguish yourself from the crowd will serve you well in the long run!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Whereas I strongly agree with the military option—mainly because it benefitted me so much—it doesn't sound like it's an option in this case. Still, there are other non-military government jobs you can apply for. With a degree in communication I would recommend the State Department as Strategic Communication (basically international diplomacy through information) but your skills could also have use in the Department of Defense, and I am not talking about marketing/recruiting but in what is now termed ‘Influence Operations.’

Be creative in your job search and you will be surprised at some of the doors that open up! Also, don’t think that your college degree is the end of your academic life; I have two grad degrees and numerous certificates that have been very beneficial in my career field. Remember, you are competing against everyone, and everything that you can do to distinguish yourself from the crowd will serve you well in the long run!

Good luck!

Cheers! M2
military is an awesome option. chose air force, less chance of getting blasted
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
I'm a strong beliver that if you are employed that you are more employable than someone who is not employed. So go out there, get a job, but keep looking and you'll find a good one.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
military is an awesome option. chose air force, less chance of getting blasted
Agreed, I spent 25 years "in the blue!" Smartest thing I've ever done in my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
I'm a strong beliver that if you are employed that you are more employable than someone who is not employed. So go out there, get a job, but keep looking and you'll find a good one.
I also agree with Mad Dog, never, ever quit a job without having another if you can avoid it! If you want to work somewhere else, get that job before putting in your notice. My company deals with a lot of potential applicants, and numerous resumes come across my desk; and anyone who is not currently employed usually draws suspicion. That doesn't mean you won't get a job, but it draws unwanted scrutiny.

Speaking of which, if a company is looking at your resume, see if you can get any feedback from them on it. That serves several purposes. First, it will (hopefully) get them to spend more time on it; and secondly if they can provide some constructive comments on it, it is always beneficial!

If you don't have that opportunity, try to find some professionals in the field in which you are applying to who would be willing to mentor you. Of course it would be preferable if they had a job to offer; but even if they don't they can always help you to focus on what the market is looking for. I got some great advice when I was preparing my resume at retirement, and it really got my CV read.

Also, there is no such thing as having "one" resume. You should have a "master" (mine is 18 pages long) and several variants (a one-pager, two-pager, ones focusing on specific skills, etc.) at the ready. Be prepared to build even more for specific jobs, in my current position I was given a copy of the Statement of Work for the contract and tied my specific skills to requirements in it. The more you can show how you meet the company's needs, the more likely you are to get hired.

Lastly, steer clear of some of these "career assistance seminars," I've found most to be useless. I am not talking about job fairs, if you have the opportunity to go to one of these than by all means do! They are great for getting your resume out to a broader audience and getting insight to what the market is looking for. But those scam sessions that make obscene promises ("guaranteed to have you making $100K within a month") are worthless. Usually they end up offering you a job driving convoy duty in Iraq with no security. No thanks...

Cheers! M2
Old 11-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #23
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
does the school you got your degree from offer some sort of "career services" department? mine helped me out a lot and now, i'm definitely on the right track to getting a job within my degree.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #24
MadMax

You may also want to consider creating a profile, posting your resume and doing research on jobs at Linked In...

Cheers! M2
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Getting a better job takes both quantity and persistence.
Every 3-5 days, hit the job sites for your field, (trade mags and local newspapers even) and try to apply to at least 3.

For communications, journalism, PR, look to city and state governments, chambers of commerce and similar. If you look hard enough you can find non-profit institutes or public interest groups that hire PR types.

Larger technical software firms have communications departments pumping out press releases, generating promotional brochures and more. Similarly their dealer networks have 1 or 2 people in local offices doing the same thing. These positions generally look for a tech writing degree or at least a minor, but you may be able to sell yourself into it with the right experience and personality.

Large universities also have comms departments. Tough to get into and sometimes lower on the payscale, but great benefits and security. (free or discount tuition is just the beginning)
For any jobsite you review regularly, subscribe for the weekly email blast or RSS feed of new postings.

Good luck...
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #26
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
IMO you need just need experience and need to know the right people. You also need to do everything you can to get that job. First you need to find what job you want and see if you can get the job or get a job simular and then transfer into that position.

I have a semester left to finnish my accociates degree and of all my friends who just got out of college I have the best job. I have had 5 years of work experience and transfered into the company (dealership) as a salesman and transfered to customer service when the positioned oppened up. If I work this job for 5 years I can transfer into a job making doubble to tripple my salary. I'm only 22 by the way, but i've learned to be persistant and made everyone believe i am the best person for the positions i wanted. It's all about attitued, showing people you can do the job and make sure you know or will learn what it takes to get the job done.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote