Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
Liltoaster

Drives: 05 Echo H/B
I am kinda curious to see how my car will be in the snow this year.... Got some studded snow tires and going to raise the coilovers all the way up too lol
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #20
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The original tires on my 08 sedan were Goodyear summer tires,i wouldnt dream of trying to drive in winter with them,Bridgestone Blizzaks work well.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Going from OEM to any snow tire you will notice a difference. I changed to X-Ice (I believe, don't remember exactly) and I noticed a HUGE difference, especially in heavy snow.

I remember last winter I was able to get out of our street while a Ford F150 was stuck!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #22
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I drove FWD vehicles over the past 22 years in all types of weather. Never got stuck in snow. I do shovel the snow out before trying to pull the Yaris out of it's parking space.

Back when I had my Horizon, I tried larger snow tires with chains. Tire chains damaged wheel liner. Plus larger snow tires rubbed the wheel liners. But I did not have off sets. (New concept to me). If weather is bad I just stay at home shoveling snow. The weather here in OH is milder than ON. Salt works most of the time.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:13 AM   #23
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Ya.
Had some fun so far this winter. Twice now I found myself fishtailing down the freeway at 60+ in the snow. Both times I was lane changing and got caught in the little berm between lanes, took a good 400 yards to correct and travel straight again. Running Champiro IcePro's ( http://www.gtradial-us.com/en/CHAMPIRO_ICEPRO.html ) on the front and some old used ones on the back. Pretty sure the reason I washed out was due to the old ones on the back. Will be buying new IcePro's for the back next winter.
The wife has IcePro's all the way around on her Accord and she doesn't have problems. I recommend them.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
w00t! Yaris Hilton knows how it is. Snow is one of those things that most people from around here haven't seen other than on TV lol.
Yeah, I think Cloudmont is the only ski area in Alabama....and it is barely in Alabama. Just a few miles from the border.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:37 AM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktiger60 View Post
Ya.
Had some fun so far this winter. Twice now I found myself fishtailing down the freeway at 60+ in the snow. Both times I was lane changing and got caught in the little berm between lanes, took a good 400 yards to correct and travel straight again. Running Champiro IcePro's ( http://www.gtradial-us.com/en/CHAMPIRO_ICEPRO.html ) on the front and some old used ones on the back. Pretty sure the reason I washed out was due to the old ones on the back. Will be buying new IcePro's for the back next winter.
The wife has IcePro's all the way around on her Accord and she doesn't have problems. I recommend them.
I hope you are quite experienced at this.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #26
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
If your winter tires are able to accept studs get them studded. that would be relatively cheap.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:31 AM   #27
blktiger60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I hope you are quite experienced at this.
Well, when its not planed its always a bit hair-raising but ya been driving in the pacific northwest since 1975. Mall parking lot 360's/720's country road drift hunting etc. The wife was with me both times. She didn't make a peep. Gravel roads act alot like snow if you give it enough gas and exaggerate steering.

Much more fun in a rear wheeler, like my MR2.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:00 AM   #28
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Just wanted to comment .. I live in Edmonton. So .. this winter I have fish tailed my Yaris twice now. It was not quite a 360 .. but scary all the same.

I have been driving in winter conditions for 35 years, so not like I am not used to it.

I am a very slow cautious driver. Once .. it was maybe 20 km/h (12 mph), the other time about 15 km/h (9 mph). Both times .. on icy roads. The back end .. was by my door, first one side then the other.

I thought the car was going to roll, especially the first time. It is not a good feeling.

The Yaris .. is definitely very temperamental on icy roads, it is fine in snow.

I do not have all season tires, I have all weather tires (hybrid tires .. designed for all year driving).

I have not had as many issues in the last 2 years then what I have had this year.

But I have recognized now the conditions where the Yaris has issues, I am very aware of what they are now and are extra cautious now.

Some people still drive like it is summer .. but I usually read about those *** on Twitter.

The problem here .. the city grades the roads, but that actually makes it worse, as they are very slow to put sand on the roads. It is actually much worse than driving on the snow covered roads.

If they have sanded the roads .. no issues at all. But .. freshly graded (and no bare road to be seen), and you are in trouble. It is exactly like driving on a skating rink. You can tell .. the roads are just a solid white color.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #29
blktiger60

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktiger60 View Post
Ya.

Not so much as a wiggle since I got the IcePro's
Old 03-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #30
Pokey

Drives: 2010 4 Door Hatch 5 Speed
["The problem here .. the city grades the roads, but that actually makes it worse, as they are very slow to put sand on the roads. It is actually much worse than driving on the snow covered roads["

Same in Winnipeg. We affectionately call the street grader a "Street Zamboni"
Polishes those roads so nicely that the Yaris (and any other car) is like a curling rock
Pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #31
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
["The problem here .. the city grades the roads, but that actually makes it worse, as they are very slow to put sand on the roads. It is actually much worse than driving on the snow covered roads["

Same in Winnipeg. We affectionately call the street grader a "Street Zamboni"
Polishes those roads so nicely that the Yaris (and any other car) is like a curling rock
Winter tires? I have no issues with plown streets. Better than getting stuck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #32
Pokey

Drives: 2010 4 Door Hatch 5 Speed
I have winter tires.

The challenge is at -20 the ice becomes very hard, and if graded it is literally a skating rink. At -10 no problems as the salts softens everything.

You get used to it and adjust your driving accordingly.
or you end up in a snow bank, or around a pole.
Pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #33
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Extreme cold is normal. Reduced adherence.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk