Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #55
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
fortunately i kept a backup. PM me and i'll email it to you. until i know it won't get deleted again without explanation i'm not going to post it in the original post.

edit: lol look! it magically re-appeared.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #56
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Wider track usually means more grip (for various reasons). So, widening the track in the rear would make the rear stick better. Not really what most of us are fighting for, with a FWD car, you want more grip in the front.

The rear hub spacers are purely a cosmetic mod. (not to be confused with alignment shims)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
so we ran a track day with the spacers installed. although there was rubbing on the streets, with the spare and other junk removed, there was no longer any rubbing. If you remove a little weight, you can get away with the 15x7 +10.

The really important thing is how the car drove. My co-driver and i did 2 sessions a piece. He has driven the car at ever event that i have, so his feed back is just as valuable. The spacers had a noticeable increase in rear stability. It made it a little easier to carry speed into the corner without the rear wanting to chase you, so turn-in speeds may have been a little faster. What was more important was stability increased the "trust" in the car in the corner. As you may know, if you feel confident about the car, you will be able to drive it well.

Since I needed to remove the spacers for street use, i pulled them off before the last session. The rear end felt a little more unstable (duh) and if you gave the same inputs as before, the back end would tend to slide a little more. That may be good for autox, but not for the track. As easy as the are to take on and off, i may swap them on depending on the type of course. Tight courses may favor the spacers out, while the more open courses (like the one we were one) would be better with the rear spacers in.

All in all, i think they helped with the stability of the car. If i were not running such low offsets, i would continue to use them. If you have anthing more than a 35 mm offset, they are a no brainer, they easily fit and increase rear stability. The 10 mm should put the track in the front and rear dead even, while the 13 mm spacers may make the rear track greater than the front.

Great mod, track approved :)
taken from : http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...71&postcount=6
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #57
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I am looking for a little advice. So the wheels I have now on the Yaris were the very first mod I did and I must say, I didn't do my homework before buying. So I ended up getting 16x7" with 195/50-16 tires. After finding this kick-ass thread and doing more reading on the subject, I'm thinking about going back to 15x6.5" with 195/55-15, as recommended here

Now, I also have lowering springs (NF210) and shocks on my list, which is the next thing I had in mind, but I was wondering, would it make more sense to replace the wheels first and then get the springs and shocks or get the springs/shocks first?
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #58
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
I am looking for a little advice. So the wheels I have now on the Yaris were the very first mod I did and I must say, I didn't do my homework before buying. So I ended up getting 16x7" with 195/50-16 tires. After finding this kick-ass thread and doing more reading on the subject, I'm thinking about going back to 15x6.5" with 195/55-15, as recommended here

Now, I also have lowering springs (NF210) and shocks on my list, which is the next thing I had in mind, but I was wondering, would it make more sense to replace the wheels first and then get the springs and shocks or get the springs/shocks first?
do the suspension first, and then worry about wheels/tires after.

remember, the tire itself is the most important mod. size is less of an issue, whereas the tire compound itself is VERY important. don't go cheap on tires, and it'll reward you.
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #59
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
do the suspension first, and then worry about wheels/tires after.

remember, the tire itself is the most important mod. size is less of an issue, whereas the tire compound itself is VERY important. don't go cheap on tires, and it'll reward you.
there is much truth in this statement... if i could only do one mod to the car, id buy star spec direzza's for it.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #60
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
there is much truth in this statement... if i could only do one mod to the car, id buy star spec direzza's for it.
it's funny you mention those.. I'm thinking about upgrading my stock wheels to 17x7 Enkei RPF1 wheels with 215/40 star spec direzza's... I plan on keeping my stock steelies for winter use. The RPF1wheels are about the same weight as the the stock 15s, so I don't think weight will be an issue. This is my daily driver, so I am wondering if I'm going dangerously low profile and whether or not the ride will be too rough... Any one got any advice? Tamago?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #61
Tamago

sidewall is less important than the tire you choose. a 55 sidewall StarSpec is gonna be better than a 40sidewall (17inch) somethingelse..

sidewall is only detrimental when you're working with crappy tires like the Falken 512. the sidewalls are soft, and flex way too much in cornering loads.
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #62
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Tamago u need to work on my vehicle make it like urs
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #63
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
it's funny you mention those.. I'm thinking about upgrading my stock wheels to 17x7 Enkei RPF1 wheels with 215/40 star spec direzza's... I plan on keeping my stock steelies for winter use. The RPF1wheels are about the same weight as the the stock 15s, so I don't think weight will be an issue. This is my daily driver, so I am wondering if I'm going dangerously low profile and whether or not the ride will be too rough... Any one got any advice? Tamago?
that set up sounds fine to me. i prefer smaller tires mostly bc they are cheaper and i see alot of fast people use that set up. im not an engineer, so i just copy what works. im using 15x7's with a 195/55/15 dunlop. its a great set up. you can get the wheels for $120 a piece or less, and the tires are like $80 a piece. awesome deal, awesome set up... ive passed corvettes on hoosiers with this set up lol, seriously. cant wait to get the LSD installed and get some real race tires to try out nasa TT!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #64
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
that set up sounds fine to me. i prefer smaller tires mostly bc they are cheaper and i see alot of fast people use that set up. im not an engineer, so i just copy what works. im using 15x7's with a 195/55/15 dunlop. its a great set up. you can get the wheels for $120 a piece or less, and the tires are like $80 a piece. awesome deal, awesome set up... ive passed corvettes on hoosiers with this set up lol, seriously. cant wait to get the LSD installed and get some real race tires to try out nasa TT!
the derezza star specs were on sale iguess becausethey were $111 a piece for the 17" wheels

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #65
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Tamago u need to work on my vehicle make it like urs
like the xA, not like the MR2 haha the MR2 is awful right now! Drift City!
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #66
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
I was actually looking at some rims today and saw that if I went with 15x7" I'd have more to choose from as opposed to 15x6.5", as recommended by this thread. I want to go as light as I can for a reasonable price on the wheels. Maybe Enkei or something.

So how much can I deviate from "the letter of the law"? Are there any trade-offs? Most tires seem to fit a range (such as 5"-7" for instance), so that wouldn't affect the tire selection much. What would I sacrifice/risk with a 15x7 setup?
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #67
Tamago

Quote:
What would I sacrifice/risk with a 15x7 setup?
nothing if the weight was on point :)
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #68
advocate

Drives: car
Tamago could you offer your opinion on these wheels:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/21-1045.html

Things I need help choosing:
Tire sizes: for street use. going for good mix between weight / traction. have 205s now would like to go smaller.
Wheel size: 14s vs 15s. i want a good mix between weight / looks. i'm thinking 14s just might be too small since the car is not a miata after all.
Wheel width: 15x7? 15x7.5?

Relevant info:
Running the DF210s and Tokico blues.

If I had to take a stab in the dark i'd probably go with 15x7.5 with 195/50/15.
Any thoughts? More importantly is that Miata wheel even going to fit? I picked them because they're cheaper than hell, amazingly light, and from konig. Figured it was a great combo.
Thanks!
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #69
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post

Tire sizes: for street use. going for good mix between weight / traction. have 205s now would like to go smaller.
Wheel size: 14s vs 15s. i want a good mix between weight / looks. i'm thinking 14s just might be too small since the car is not a miata after all.

Relevant info:

Any thoughts? More importantly is that Miata wheel even going to fit? I picked them because they're cheaper than hell, amazingly light, and from konig. Figured it was a great combo.
Thanks!
if you're going for looks, avoid 6.5" wide wheels. they simply don't fill the fenders very well. if you're looking to save weight, the wheel above is the one for you, very lightweight for the money, but you're sacrificing (IMO of course) looks FOR weight, i think that wheel looks awful hehe.
you nailed it sir.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #70
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
I was actually looking at some rims today and saw that if I went with 15x7" I'd have more to choose from as opposed to 15x6.5", as recommended by this thread. I want to go as light as I can for a reasonable price on the wheels. Maybe Enkei or something.

So how much can I deviate from "the letter of the law"? Are there any trade-offs? Most tires seem to fit a range (such as 5"-7" for instance), so that wouldn't affect the tire selection much. What would I sacrifice/risk with a 15x7 setup?
i use a 15x7 and it works great, i would use anywhere from a 195-225 on it and it will be fine. you wouldnt be sacrificing anything but a tiny bit of weight.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #71
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
the derezza star specs were on sale iguess becausethey were $111 a piece for the 17" wheels
another reason i like 15" tires, they are MUCH cheaper.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #72
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post

Relevant info:

Thanks!
i use a spec miata wheel right now (Team Dynamics) and it is a perfect fit as if it were made for the car.