Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Bill@WORKS

Drives: MGB
Rally Sway Bar setups

Hey all you rally types. I'm looking for some input on Yaris sway bar setups for rally use (some tarmac some dirt). We're helping a customer with a build and I was wondering what experiences people have had with aftermarket bars. We normally work on Mitsubishi Evo's, Lancer's and VW's. Most of these cars respond well to removing the front bar and running a really small rear bar, lets the suspension run through the full range of motion and lets the car rotate very easily, but these are dedicated Rally cars. Our customer will be using it on the street as well.

We are looking at 19mm vs 23mm rear bars right now in addition to long travel coilovers.

Any thoughts?

-Bill@WORKS

http://www.worksmotorsports.com
Bill@WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
advocate

Drives: car
I know the sway bars are very popular although I haven't gotten one installed just yet. They're supposed to really help with the car's understeer from FWD.

What I do know for sure is that you should tell your client to register when his car is finished and go to the California meets! We even have our own corner of the forums for local chatter and discussion.

Good luck!
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
It's been done.... not for rally though.

Check out this Loren's thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20049

The Yaris is notorious for it understeery nature. That's why the rear sway bar is one of the first mod one every ones list when you are looking to go faster on this car.

According to Loren, if you have enough spring rate to control body excessive body roll, you can live w/o the front bar.

This car just loves an stiff rear end...

Please get you customer to get on the forum and post some info about his ride!! It would be awesome.
Not many rally modded Yaris around.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
General consensus over here for front wheel drive rally cars is:
For a fast driver on dirt with long travel rally shocks and an lsd, disconnect the front and go as big as you can on the rear.
For a slow driver on dirt, leave the front one connected and only go one step up in the rear (so it's not so taily under brakes).
My experience with a stock Echo on dirt was that the front sway bar limits the travel a little bit (and causes the inside tyre to spin) but the major travel limitation is the vertically orientated bush at the rear of the lower control arm.
I suspect the Yaris would be the same.
I hope to get my rally suspension fitted this weekend so my testing with decent suspension is soon to begin.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
LSD...!! You didn't mentioned it in your post so I guess you already thought about it.
Kaaz makes a 1.5 LSD for the Yaris.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Bill, I think we have one guy here who rallycrosses, otherwise not a lot of Rally action.

I'd say whatever setup you can find for a FWD Golf (the earlier, lighter and lower powered ones in particular) should be a great place to start on the Yaris.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote